• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
richiec205

White Plugs?

richiec205

Just been servicing my car today and when I went to change the plugs they were really white. I take it this means it is running lean? I also have a problem with a rough idle, could this be linked? Doesn't idle when cold and revs drop down when you blip the throttle. Have done a search because I know there are lots of posts on the subject but couldn't find much. I have replaced SAD with one I tested. When I squeezed the hose that goes to the airflow manifold it doesn't seem to make any difference. Is this right? Is it an airleak that is causing this?

Thanks

Rich

jim21070

Yep, it's running well lean. An air leak is the most likely culprit. Check you have not lost the bolt that secures the oil filler housing to the side of the inlet manifold. If this bolt (nearest to the injector) is not in place there is a massive hole straight in and it will give you all the symptoms you describe.

richiec205

ok cheers. Will have a look but I'm pretty sure the bolts are still there

dee205

Make sure you've got the right grade plugs in it too.

Damien

ini

If the airflow meter has been replaced recently make sure its a 1.9 afm, not a 1.6. This could cause lean running.

Bosch part number for 1.6 AFM = 0 280 202 056

Bosch part number for 1.9 AFM = 0 280 202 109

DrSeuss

to check for air leaks in the inlet tract, CAREFULLY, spray either carb cleaner/wd40/cold start s*ite onto the inlet hosing and air hosing. If you have an air leak, as you spray the flammable chemical of your choice onto it, the idle will raise in response to the extra fuel being burned. This should help you identify any leaks that aren't clearly visible to the naked eye.

richiec205

ok cheers will give it a try

Sign in to follow this