• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ahl

How Do You Clean Headlamp Reflectors?

Ahl

I've got some nice shiny valeo headlights from the scrapyard.

They need the glass resealed and could do with the dusty reflectors being cleaned.

The only thing is i've tried to clean reflectors before and the silvering dulls or lifts very easily.

Can anyone recommend a good way to clean these up without knackering the reflector?

Cheers,

ahl

Gentrix

Just warm soap-water as you use for your dishes. I tried Never Dull once and you are right, the Chrome comes off easily. :(

Redtop

I know this sounds rash but a guy i know had very dull lights on his 405. He got some of the chrome effect vinyl stuff that moonmen can stick on their cars. He cut it and stuck it ontop of the old dull chrome reflective. It made a world of difference and you can see it because they aren't clear lense lights like modern cars. It does the job :D

C_W

The covering is very thin and will probably just rub off.

I didn't think brand new headlights were that expensive?

KRISKARRERA

Hehe I remember my first car failing MOT on the headlights and trying to clean the reflector only to find the chrome effect came off. Where did he get that chrome vinyl stuff from then?

Ahl

Meant to reply back to this earlier - thanks Gentrix, sure enough mildly soapy water did the trick and the lamps came up as new, very shiny indeed. :wacko:

Pugnut
The covering is very thin and will probably just rub off.

I didn't think brand new headlights were that expensive?

hehe , you know us scotsmen. "every penny is a prisoner" :wacko:

DrSeuss

20p's are shaped that way so you can get a wrench on them. Its the only way you'll pry one out of a scotsmen's hand.

C_W
hehe , you know us scotsmen. "every penny is a prisoner" :)

Heheh :P

I must admit I mis-read the first post a bit; didn't realise it was just a bit of dust, I thought he was meaning trying to polish up faded silver/chrome backing.

Sign in to follow this