• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Livelee

307 Hdi Brakes

Livelee
Brand spanking new pads are only 20ish quid. Remember when dealing with brakes, one has to ask the question, how much is my life worth? For me at least, its worth the cost of new pads.

Yes i'll definately buy some new ones if they are needed. But if they're not then it's a 1/2 tank of petrol i'm wasting.

DrSeuss

I'm not sure what would cause pad failure, but a fire in the vicinity would certainly make me wary. If you crash your car with half a tank of fuel in it, the money won't have been wasted.

Not trying to sit here and be boring for no good reason. I'm not enough of an expert to know whether fire could cause catastrophic failure of brake pads. But I guess you are.......

Livelee

Concerning car mechanics i'm as far away from an expert that you can be. hehehe. As well as my Dad i'll be showing them to my uncle (mechanic) for an opinion.

I'm also not sure what a fire would do to the pads, but I think the car probably had an engine fire. The "melted" calipers just had plastic on them that a wire brushing session this morning removed. I dont think an engine fire would cause much heat and or damage to the pads. Surely under normal use the pads get alot hotter?

I'm always open to opinions should anybody have them.

dan

Rippthrough
Concerning car mechanics i'm as far away from an expert that you can be. hehehe. As well as my Dad i'll be showing them to my uncle (mechanic) for an opinion.

I'm also not sure what a fire would do to the pads, but I think the car probably had an engine fire. The "melted" calipers just had plastic on them that a wire brushing session this morning removed. I dont think an engine fire would cause much heat and or damage to the pads. Surely under normal use the pads get alot hotter?

I'm always open to opinions should anybody have them.

dan

If the rubber dust seals haven't been damaged in the fire, then I can't see the pads being damaged either. Give them a good scrub with some brake cleaner though.

Livelee
If the rubber dust seals haven't been damaged in the fire, then I can't see the pads being damaged either. Give them a good scrub with some brake cleaner though.

Cheers, yes the seals on the cylinders are OK.

All of the stuff will be having a good clean up before it goes on the car.

Concerning the brakes, i've been pushing the standard brakes quite hard over the last few days and TBH i'm quite impressed with them. They certainly have alot more kick than my GTR used to have. I'm expecting (and hoping) good things from this upgrade.

Cheers

dan

Bonzai

as someone said earlier, you cant put a price on your life. in my opinion you should get new discs and pads :(

jim205GTI

i'd quite agree with new pads and discs even if the discs and pads had been good second hand items i still would just for piece of mind :( ...........because you just never know why the car was scrapped

Banjo

Don't mean to piss on your fire but thats a lot of money, I paid £60 for some 307 calipers in better nick than that, did you try ringing round?

Also as I said and has been said by everyone else at least buy new pads and get the discs skimmed, I bought my pads and discs from here.. http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/ was the cheapest by far and next day delivery.

Ben

Edited by Banjo

Wes

Also as I said and has been said by everyone else at least buy new pads and get the discs skimmed, I bought my pads and discs from here.. http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/ was the cheapest by far and next day delivery.

Ben

if i bought the calipers and discs and pads from this site, would i still need to get yokes or will they come with the calipers? also did you get the pair of calipers for £60? i take it they were second hand?

Wes

sorry for asking a lot of questions but i have just been reading the "how to" guide on fitting the 307 brakes and it sayes they wont fit the 1.6, is this right? and whats the difference? thanks.

Bonzai

no you wont get yokes with calipers on a site like brakepart, or any other that i have come across unless you use an online breaker etc.

and im fairly certain the 307 caliper/yoke combination wont fit on the 1.6 hub's presumably because of the bolt spacing. I think you can do 1.9 driveshaft and hub conversion which would allow you to fit them. you would also need 15" wheels. the clearance is minimal with 1.9 speedline/smr's.

hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong. my experience of 1.6 gti's is limited to what i've picked up off the forum

:D

Livelee

Yeah, concerning the 1.6 gti that's what I know as well.

Foltan

BTW i bought these calipers, yokes, discs and pads the other day from a breakers next to duxford called BSL. I got the whole lot for £100 plus vat and theyre in great condition. Apparently delivery mileage, the calipers are nice and gold and still have stickers on them in pretty good condition so they really cant have been used that much!! I think theyre quite a good buy! :D

richsmells

do a search for 1.6 hubs as it has been explained many times. I've even asked myself! Basically they have a different offset and bigger brakes won't fit like they do on the 1.9. You can fit 1.9 girling calipers though, retaining the 1.6 disks.

Wes

if i put the 309 hubs and wishbones on etc will the 307 brakes fit them? :blush:

Anthony
if i put the 309 hubs and wishbones on etc will the 307 brakes fit them? :blush:

Yes, they'll bolt straight on. The hubs are the same as 1.9 GTi items, and that's all that matters as far as attaching the brakes is concerned :(

Rippthrough

Wee little thread hijack:

A couple of 307's have just come in at local scrapyard, and I've got first dibs on the brakes provided I get there tommorow.

But, does anyone know if they'll fit under the 15" mi16 alloys?

Anthony

Logically they should do, but I've never tried it. The brakes will certainly fit under 15" wheels fine, and given that to run 15" Mi16 wheels you ned 10mm spacers, there shouldn't be any issues with spoke clearance either.

Rippthrough

Might have to jack the car up while we're down there and swap a wheel over to see :)

Livelee

Back on topic ;-)

Hubs sent back. Under protest from the breakers. Why is it pikey car breakers are all the same? Customer service anyone?

Brakes fitted. However bad the "new" brakes looked they are in a much better condition than the stuff I took off.

I've now got a much longer pedal travel before the brakes really bite. Is this normal? Apart from that they seem to work ok.

cybernck

it is normal to get a little bit more pedal travel as the pistons in calipers are bigger.

however, you shouldn't get as much as with gti-6 brakes.

Sign in to follow this