• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

Light Knocking

ALEX

Coming from under the car when going over light bumps.

Sounds as if something's got a little play in it.

I've been aiming for bumps to try and find which wheel it's coming from but it makes the noise on them all front and rear.

The engine mounts look O.K. and jolting the engine about using the clutch with the handbrake on doesn't make the noise.

Only happens when going over bumps and kerbs.

I've not had a proper look yet (it's always too dark) but there doesn't seem to be any play in the wishbones, ball joints, top strut mounts, wheels or drop links.

TEKNOPUG

Check exhaust mounitngs and also the exhaust heat-shield, which can rot. Then check all nuts & bolts unde the car and also that brake lines etc are clipped in place.

jackherer

sounds very like drop links, you could try driving with them disconnected to see if the problem goes away.

Jonmurgie

That's classic drop link symptons, start with those first... could be a knackerd shock as well...

Pugnut

my money is on the top mounts.

Pugnut

if it is the top mounts you will see shiny metal between top mount plate itself and the cup that bolts on with the strut top ( the rubber will have worn away)

Jonmurgie

He did mention he's checked those but it may well be them. Best way to check without removing the shocks is to stick the bonnet up and then push up and down on the wing and see if there is any up/down movement in the mount... you may even hear the knocking...

ALEX
if it is the top mounts you will see shiny metal between top mount plate itself and the cup that bolts on with the strut top ( the rubber will have worn away)

They are quite new. no play in the top mounts at all.

I'll try the drop links first as I remember hearing that you can't tell if these have gone unless you remove them to inspect them.

He did mention he's checked those but it may well be them. Best way to check without removing the shocks is to stick the bonnet up and then push up and down on the wing and see if there is any up/down movement in the mount... you may even hear the knocking...

Tried that no movement.

I went for a spin at dinner with a collegue who knows a thing or two.

It makes the noise more when hitting two or more small bumps close together.

Cobbled roads would be perfect to make it rattle.

Sounds like a loose joint, low pitch noise.

I cant make the noise by bouncing the suspension around and nothing seems to be loose.

All my passangers say its comming from the rear. but i think it sounds like it's comming from the front.

pug_ham
I'll try the drop links first as I remember hearing that you can't tell if these have gone unless you remove them to inspect them.

You can check them with them still fitted, grab the ARB where the bolt for the droplinks goes through & try moving it up & down, if there is play they are worn out.

No need to even jack the car imo.

Graham.

Anthony

Worth checking that the subframe bolts are tight as well (these frequently work their way loose), and that there's no excess play in the steering rack - I've sorted cars out recently for people suffering from difficult to pinpoint knocking noises, and these were the cause.

That said however, worn ARB droplinks as mentioned above are the most likely cuplrit in my experience.

gti-hysteria

possibly track rod end?

stevec205gti

Worn door hinge pins have been known to cause knocking sounds over bumps as well apparently

Simes

Drop links!

I've had a new one on now for 12 weeks, it's already making the sounds!

The old one was 2 years old, you couldn't wobble it about but it groaned when steering.

Both from GSF.

The Offside one is still the original!

ALEX

Yes it was a drop link.

They were only 2 years old too from GSF.

I got a new pair of genuine Peugeot ones for £40.

They look a better quality than the GSF ones.

Thanks for the help, it saved time finding the problem.

iety2004

I think i have got the same problem, can hear the n/s suspension groan and tap and bump when turning right, but not left.

So its best in the long run to buy a set of genuine Peugeot ones then?

Does the GTI have special ones or do they share the same with standard Peugeot's

jackherer
Does the GTI have special ones or do they share the same with standard Peugeot's

non-GTIs simply dont have drop links at all (with the exception of the STDT which basically has GTI running gear)

where from? my pug dealer just quoted me nearly £120 each!

Simes

I wouldn't mind getting a pair of these, the GSF ones start knocking quite early on.

hengti
non-GTIs simply dont have drop links at all (with the exception of the STDT which basically has GTI running gear)

where from? my pug dealer just quoted me nearly £120 each!

Likewise!! Where did you manage to get a pair of genuine links for that kind of money?

The GSF ones don't last 5mins; last time I rang Peugeot, they wanted £100 ea! Outrageous for a metal rod with a balljoint at either end ...

Sign in to follow this