• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M3Evo

Can Anyone Provide Accurate Dimensional Data On...

M3Evo

Hope this is in the right section!

I'm after the following:

1. Accurate dims for the front wishbones.

2. Accurate camber dims.

3. Accurate castor dims.

My plan is to use the majority of a 205GTi's front suspension as the basis for that on the GT6 which, now I'm vaguely confident on SolidWorks, I'll be redesigning soon.

Any help/suggestions/useful dimensions I've forgotten greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Alex

Dom9

Buy the Alan Staniforth suspension book and design your own... It really is dead easy and will be better suited to the car! Seriously!!

Rippthrough

For the rear I assume?

M3Evo

For the front, just wanna stick to a nice simple McPherson strut assembly to liberate some room for the massive engine!. I really wanna sort out a decent double wishbone rear suspension system.

Take your point about designing it for my particular car Dom, but the wishbone dims would still come in handy as proprietary ones which attach neatly to the hub carriers should make things easier (I hope!)

Would just leave me with the angle that the axis of the strut is to be at to sort.

Edited by M3Evo

Rippthrough
For the front, just wanna stick to a nice simple McPherson strut assembly to liberate some room for the massive engine!. I really wanna sort out a decent double wishbone rear suspension system.

Take your point about designing it for my particular car Dom, but the wishbone dims would still come in handy as proprietary ones which attach neatly to the hub carriers should make things easier (I hope!)

Would just leave me with the angle that the axis of the strut is to be at to sort.

:angry:

The front suspension setup is superb on the GT6 too.

M3Evo

Not very strong though. The trunnions being particular weak points as far as I understand it, and with big wheels and big brakes, I don't fancy their chances much :angry:

The wishbones are alse very flimsy.

The last point which counts against the old setup is that it just takes up too much space. The old shock towers used to hug the original 2ltr block and just don't allow the M3 engine to sit in there at all.

Rippthrough
Not very strong though. The trunnions being particular weak points as far as I understand it, and with big wheels and big brakes, I don't fancy their chances much :angry:

The wishbones are alse very flimsy.

The last point which counts against the old setup is that it just takes up too much space. The old shock towers used to hug the original 2ltr block and just don't allow the M3 engine to sit in there at all.

Did you have a look to see if you could fit an offset wishbone in? I remember mentioning that last time round.

Good luck anyway, looking forward to a video!

M3Evo

I'd just be worried about the torque reaction created at the chassis by a significantly offset wishbone TBH.

I reasonably confident that McPherson strut suspension will prove space efficient and low chassis loading.

Really just need some dims to get me going as all I can set out at the moment are the wheelbase and track and start work on the rear suspension.

Good luck anyway, looking forward to a video!

:angry: It's taken me over a year to finish a fairly simple conversion on my 'daily' driver, think the GT6 is gonna take forever!

Edited by M3Evo

Guest Chris71
For the rear I assume?

Bare in mind the lack of camber compensation you get with trailing arms is one of the reasons for the trademark hot hacth feel! (the roll lifts the rear tyres reducing the size of the contact patch to reduce the understeer) I suppose if you've got fully adjustable suspension you can produce the same effect with double wihsbones, but be careful, especially if you've got an even greater front weight bias as you could end up with manic understeer!

Theres several kinematics packages you can download demo versions of. Mitchell WinGeo is pretty good and I'm sure theres CarSim Ed available for free too. That way you can automatically analyse roll center heights, camber changes, toe angle etc.

Good luck with Solid Works. Atleast youre not using I-DEAS :)

Rippthrough
:lol: It's taken me over a year to finish a fairly simple conversion on my 'daily' driver, think the GT6 is gonna take forever!

mines been in the garden for ooohhh, about 20 years......

EDIT: Don't know if there's room with that engine in, as there's not a lot of room at the front of the gt6 anyway, but if you could fit a half wibone in near the front somewhere you could use it as a stabiliser bar attached to the other offset wishbone, so that way you wouldn't get any torque reaction.

Edited by Rippthrough

Sign in to follow this