• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Garry

O/s Drive Shaft Removal To Get Lower Mount Off

Garry

As above really, I have read the guide by Jon Murgie and just want to check if the shaft needs to come out of the diff or does it break in half on the off side of the bearing housing by the rubber boot.

At the moment the car is up on stands, I have released the wishbone from the Hub and now I need to remove the two 11mm nuts from the bearing housing.

The reason I ask is because I am really worried about pulling the shaft apart at the wrong point and it falling to bits.

Many thanks

Garry

easypug

It does come out of the diff as one long shaft.

Garry

Ok, so I need to drain the gear box oil as well.

So, I need to keep the shaft as one long piece to stop it falling apart and slide the engine mount casing over the diff end of the shaft to get it off?

Thanks for the quick response :rolleyes:

Anthony

That's correct - *much* easier if you withdraw the driveshaft from the car completely as opposed to trying to leave it half in and work around it.

DO NOT pull on the driveshaft the other side of the joint, as you'll likely pull it in two and scatter needles everywhere rendering the shaft scrap. Undo the two 11mm nuts and rotate the bolts through 180 degrees, and if the shaft won't move, knock it out with a suitable drift

I'd advise using a new driveshaft oil seal for the diff upon refitting as well, as they tend to leak if you reuse them.

Garry

One last question, I promise :rolleyes:

Does the shaft need to come away from the hub aswell?

Are there any risks with pulling it out?

Thanks Guys

(Just to explain my paranoia, I have had 4 sets of shafts on my car and these ones are they only ones to last more than 1000 miles so I am a little nervous with meddling with them!)

Anthony

If you've removed the hubnut, then the driveshaft should slide out of the hub end easily once you've seperated the hub and wishbone. The hubnut is VERY tight though and you'll almost certainly need a breaker bar and a 32mm (for 1.6 shafts) or 35/36mm socket (for 1.9/309 shafts)

Sign in to follow this