• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeT

Mi16 Not Starting After The Xmas Break

MikeT

Hi all, happy new year! Problems with my car to start the year off!

My car used to start first time, every time (used daily) and it has been sat all christmas and not been used - went to start it yesterday and it just cranks over but does not start.. I have done this until the battery died - AA bloke had a look and tested the ignition side which is ok with a healthy spark and theres plenty of fuel getting to the engine. he also tested the injectors which are pulsing fine - Easy start etc etc and only at one point did it show signs like it was going to start and then didn't

Any ideas of what I can try next? He mentioned that there may be a temperature sensor that has died?

Cheers

Mike

Edited by MikeT

jont

If you've spent a long time trying to get it started and failed, then it may well have flooded. I had this happen on my Mi and Anthony suggested the solution - disconnect the injectors, then crank it over (it may well start and run for a few seconds on the fuel already in the system). Once it's cleared, then reconnect them and it should run okay.

The ECU temp sensor is connected just infront/underneath the dizzy with a 2 pin blue plug (IIRC), however the usual symptoms of this failing are running very rich the whole time rather than failing to start.

HTH,

Jon

d-9

Wiggle all the HT leads then try changing the coil and ignition amp, these seem to die on cars left standing for ages.

pug309twin40s

try push/tow starting it.

sounds like youve flooded it. the mi16 engine is very easy to flood.

MikeT

Thanks for your suggestions, Ill look into the flooding idea.

If the coil or ignition amp was dead then I wouldn't be getting any spark would I? I have a spare ignition module so it can't hurt to try it. The coil is only 6 months old, its got a recent new starter motor, dizzy cap and rotar arm also.

Cheers

Mike

Robsbc
Thanks for your suggestions, Ill look into the flooding idea.

If the coil or ignition amp was dead then I wouldn't be getting any spark would I? I have a spare ignition module so it can't hurt to try it. The coil is only 6 months old, its got a recent new starter motor, dizzy cap and rotar arm also.

Cheers

Mike

Crank sensor?

cybernck

mike, i've had exactly the same problem with my Mi16 a couple of weeks ago,

although it failed to start only hours after the last ride, not days!

i had also done all the checkups your AA bloke did and the next action was going

to be de-flooding it, but i decided to tow the car back home instead and while

being towed, i tried "bump starting it" and eventually it fired up.

it has worked fine ever since -_-.

good luck and please report back.

d-9

Yes its quite possible for coils to break down, so they produce a spark under atmouspheric conditions when you're checking to see if the car is sparking, but not produce a spark when under 200psi or so of pressure in the combustion chamber.

Guest RallyNav

I'VE GOT THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 1.9 MOTRONIC MI16 TOO. LEFT THE CAR FOR A WEEK OVER XMAS AND WHEN I CAME BACK IT WOULDN'T START. I'VE GOT GOOD FUEL PRESSURE BUT NO SPARK. THE THINGS THAT I'VE TRIED SO FAR ARE; TRIED A NEW COIL WHICH DIDN'T WORK, CLEANED MY CRANK SENSOR AND CHECKED THE WIRES/CONNECTIONS, TOOK MY ECU OFF AND CHECKED INSIDE, TRACED THE CUTS IN MY CAT1 ALARM AND REJOINED THEM AND PLAYED WITH ALL THE RELAYS. IS THERE ANYTHING THAT COULD FAIL DUE TO THE COLD WEATHER? ( I WAS TOLD IT WAS REALLY COLD HERE OVER XMAS) ALSO, WHAT VOLTAGES SHOULD I EXPECT TO FIND ON THE COIL CONNECTORS WITH THE IGN ON AND OFF?

cybernck

rallynav> please don't use CAPS!

miket> any news?

i now have to go through this pain after every drive... :D

must check it more thoroughly this time!

Guest RallyNav

Fixed it! :) I fitted another ignition control module and it fired first time. Have you got yours going yet Mike?

richard

had the same problem with the 1.9

has to be something with moisture as its done it to me in the past.

Mind you it was dark and we were in a rush so could really start taking bits off etc so we pushed it....uphill for 300meters or so. I think ive found an extra muscle somewhere.

Couple of days later (note it had not been raining) and it fired instantly like it normally does.

C_W

I took mine out last night for the first time in a long time to give it a run out. It's been in the garage for about 4 weeks with the battery disconnected; reconnect the battery and it started first time, left it to idle for a few minutes then took it out for a drive. Accelerated up a hill and at fairly high revs it just cut out dead.

Couldn't see anything wrong with it under the bonnet and after messing with it fora while couldn't restart it so I had to tow it back home. It's never properly broken down before like this (normally it gets going again somehow!).

There is fuel but no spark so will try the ignition amp first (as I have a spare one), there is power to the coil and the coil is fairly new so don't really want to buy another.

Bonzai

i had a similar situation thisevening as i was trying to leave work. engine turning over but just not firing up. The car bump started easily enough witha push though.

I checked all my plugs only last week and they were all in good condition although 18 months old. Nothing looked loose or knackered under the bonnet but i'll have to check again in daylight.

very annoying and even more humiliating, getting shouts of 'scrap it' :P so i left a dirty great big 11 and sped off in anger

MikeT

Really sorry I haven't updated / replied on this thread for a while - been struggling to get time to work on it as its pitch black every day I get back from work and at the weekends I have been doing other things or maybe just too lazy and its freezing cold!?!

Ok - I have tried pretty much everything now, new plugs - tried starting it without the injectors plugged in - new ignition amp, new coil - sparks still fine , plenty of fuel getting through - the bastard thing just doesn't fire! No matter what I try the engine turns over - sounds like its just going to fire and then doesn't. Tried jumping it off another car as the battery keeps getting tired also.

This car has been unbelievably reliable since day one (for a 205!) of me owning it and it just seems to have got into a massive sulk since Xmas! :blink: I use it as my daily ride to work and it has never failed to start or miss a beat other than when the starter motor/alternator needed replacing -- Its got to be something silly.

I might try and bump start it like you did Cybernck and see if that helps things. Someone at work today suggested the fuel may be contaminated with water - suppose that may be worth a look too?!

Cheers

Mike

j_turnell

Try removing the fuel line and puttin it in a bottle and get someone to whizz her over, make sure there is a good amount of fuel coming out as it could be the fuel pump on its way out. May also be worth doing a compression test just to rule that out.

MikeT

Good news followed by bad..

Tried another set of plugs on the car tonight and after a little coaxing it started & kept it running but the bad news is that is only running on three cylinders and obviously is running like a dog - quick drive to see if it would clear its throat but to no avail :huh::)

The car was running a little bit rough on the day just before I turned it off at Xmas - but now I am fearing the worst like its lost compression.

Seems to start every time now on first turn of the key but I have checked that the number 1 cylinder (that isn't running) has spark and seems to be getting some fuel - working in the pitch black is no fun so have given up till tomorrow.

Not impressed :( Anything else to try other than compression test no 1 cylinder? HT lead seems ok - would rotor arm or distributor be to blame (both were replaced last summer)

Cheers

Mike

Edited by MikeT

Sign in to follow this