• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
newdean0

Replacing Seam Sealer On Rear Quarter Panel/sill

newdean0

Hi,

I've replaced the silicone seal between the rear quarter panel and sill with Tigerseal but this has cracked again, has anyone done this successfully or got any tips? I think the trouble was:

a: I botched the application of the tigerseal and had to sand the surface a bit to get it smooth once cured. Does sanding it stop the paint sticking?

b: I put a really thick layer of paint on - this seems fine for a month or so but the cracks appeared soon afterwards.

Also did anyone spray a layer of primer on before applying the tigerseal or does it have to go onto bare metal? I've got some red oxide I was going to use next time.

Cheers

Dean

pugrallye

isnt tiger seal rigid?? maybe using something a bit more rubbery might help, as im guessing you have lowered your car??

newdean0

Yep it's lowered and running Koni yellows on the back so I guess that's not helping matters. Tiger seal is advertised as the stuff for the job though, says it stays the flexlible on the packet. I think the problem is more the paint which sits on top the the Tiger seal is cracking and the tigerseal is coming detached from the sill/quarterpanel. I'm just after some tips as to what other people have done to prevent the cracking.

Alastairh

I've just replaced mine, although not tested it as yet as the car hasn't had paint yet.

I used Tetrosyl (sp) Pu7 Seam sealer which i picked up from a local car paint shop.

Wheres paint guy, hes been quite recently?

Alastair :blink:

taylorspug

I found when doing mine that the seam sealer shrunk when fully dried and cracked. My plan is to now put another layer on to seal up the crack, wait for that to dry up, then repaint. Mine cracked without the car ever seeing a road, so im not sure suspension etc is your problem... :blink:

Emmy Seize

The correct order would be: 1. Red Oxide, 2. filler 3. seam sealer 4. paint.

Allow for proper drying between each layer.

I can recommend SikaFlex or Teroson products for this application.

newdean0

Cheers for the advice guys. I'll keep an eye out for those products you mentioned Emmy though I'd already bought some other stuff at machine mart. Hopefully this won't shrink as much as the tigerseal. It seems the real problem here is with shrinkage of the sealant rather than surface prep. I'd be interested to see how putting multiple layers on works out.

Paintguy

I used Tigerseal on mine with no problems. I gave it plenty of time to 'dry' before painting though, and sanded it lightly for good adhesion. Make sure it goes over the top of either bare metal, or preferably thoroughly dried and well sanded primer.

Sign in to follow this