• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest naughtymutt

Testing Indivdual Ignition Components

Guest naughtymutt

Does anyone know how to test individual ignition components.

I have tested the HT wire from the coil by resting it on the valve cover and cranking the engine, but get no spark at all. I have checked the connections, to the ignition module and also the distributor wire. The distro wire has been soldered in the past but I would like to know how to test it.

any idea would be appreciated.

can I add that there is fuel to the Injector rail but I dont think it is getting injected into the engine, at least I cant smell it.

Edited by naughtymutt

Anthony

Almost certainly something to do with the lead coming from the dizzy then if you're getting no fuel being injected and no spark. Clean up the pins inside the yellow 3-pin plug on the end of that dizzy timing wire and it'll probably work fine again - seems to be a common 205 issue.

Easiest way I find to verify if that's working is to see if the rev counter moves at all when cranking - if it doesn't, then you're getting no output from the ignition amp which, assuming it's plugged in, usually means that the dizzy timing wire is giving grief (as ignition amps rarely fail suddenly and without warning in my experience, and even if it did, you'd still have fuel being injected).

Worth double checking that you've got +12v ignition as well - check between the coil and earth, and you should have 12v on all pins (two of the pins are grounded to earth by the ignition amp to fire the coil).

Guest naughtymutt
Almost certainly something to do with the lead coming from the dizzy then if you're getting no fuel being injected and no spark. Clean up the pins inside the yellow 3-pin plug on the end of that dizzy timing wire and it'll probably work fine again - seems to be a common 205 issue.

Got the LT cable from AutoFive today and now I have spark and fuel to all cylinders, but still it wont start. I have noticed that the Vacuum advance isnt connected between the Distributor and the Throttle Body would that stop it from working. I have checked the static timing as best I can and it seems to be OK.

Also does anyone know where the TDC sensor connects to? I have jetronic so I dont think it needs to be connected but if anyone knows what would be great.

Anthony
Got the LT cable from AutoFive today and now I have spark and fuel to all cylinders, but still it wont start. I have noticed that the Vacuum advance isnt connected between the Distributor and the Throttle Body would that stop it from working. I have checked the static timing as best I can and it seems to be OK.

Also does anyone know where the TDC sensor connects to? I have jetronic so I dont think it needs to be connected but if anyone knows what would be great.

The TDC sensor doesn't connect to anything on Jetronic - it's there purely for diagnostics, and is meant to clip to the top of the rocker cover.

It's you've now got fuel and spark but still not starting, I'd check that the fuel pump is working OK (as otherwise you'll have no fuel pressure), that the HT leads are on in the correct order, and the AFM is plugged in (it'll usually try and start with no AFM though). If they all appear to be OK, try unplugging the injectors and seeing if it will start again - if it does start and run momentarily, then it means it was flooded.

The missing vacuum advance pipe shouldn't stop it starting IMO, although you'll ideally want to put it back on as it will be a slight airleak and you'll have no part-throttle ignition advance.

What else have you changed or fiddled with since the car last ran?

Sign in to follow this