• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pug2112

Rear Beam Wo's

Guest Pug2112

Hello all from a newbie member - I thought I may aswell get stuck in and ask a Q. Ive been told my rear beam is playing up on my 1.6GTI. Regarding replacing the rear beam - ive been told to upgrade to either a 1.9 GTi or 309 GTI (rear discs etc).

However, if I dont want to - would it be possible to recondition the rear beam. If so, could anybody recommend a place around the midlands and how much Id be expected to pay??

Cheers

Pug2112 :)

pugrallye

coventry transmissions recon them used to cost 200 quid he does it drive in, drive out, in a day

Anthony

Depends on how far your existing beam is as to whether it's economically viable to recondition it or not. As a general rule, if it's showing excessive negative camber, making loud clunking noises, or there's play between the trailing arm and beamtube, then it's probably past being reconditioned

As for "upgrading" to a 1.9 GTI beam, the only difference is the brakes, they're otherwise identical to 1.6 beams. The only real advantage of the brakes is that they're easier to service - rear disks offer no real braking advantage on a lightweight car such as a 205. 309 GTi beams are a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion, but they're quite scarce and people in the know charge alot of money for them.

205 Parts in Kibworth do reconditioned rear beams - price is going to depend on exactly what's wrong with yours though...

rooster

205 parts are fitting my reconned beam this month for £300 :(:(:)

and new suspention too ;):P:D:D:D:D

and im getting new full leathers woohoo (had to add that :rolleyes: )

Guest Pug2112
coventry transmissions recon them used to cost 200 quid he does it drive in, drive out, in a day

Do Coventry transmission have a website??

Also what about this place, I know its not in the midlands - http://www.sspengineering.co.uk/ are they good or do you think its over priced??

Also - if I buy a used rear beam - should it have been recon'd?

Sorry for all the questions - i guess its the only I'll learn ...

Depends on how far your existing beam is as to whether it's economically viable to recondition it or not. As a general rule, if it's showing excessive negative camber, making loud clunking noises, or there's play between the trailing arm and beamtube, then it's probably past being reconditioned

As for "upgrading" to a 1.9 GTI beam, the only difference is the brakes, they're otherwise identical to 1.6 beams. The only real advantage of the brakes is that they're easier to service - rear disks offer no real braking advantage on a lightweight car such as a 205. 309 GTi beams are a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion, but they're quite scarce and people in the know charge alot of money for them.

205 Parts in Kibworth do reconditioned rear beams - price is going to depend on exactly what's wrong with yours though...

Thanks for the info - I shall be contacting them asap.

Cheers

Sign in to follow this