• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Aftermarket Ecu And Rev Counter

smckeown

Is it the case that all ECUs dont work withthe pug rev counter ? I have read that both Emerald and KMS don't work. I have read that you can buy something from emerald to make the rev counter work, will that work with KMS also ?

Tthe other option I saw on here recently was people talking about replacing the actual rev counter with an aftermarket one. Has anyone done this neatly ?

cheers

sean

petert

I posted a circuit that I got from Haltech some time ago. You can modify the circuit by adding/subtracting diodes to match the number of ignition coils. It works well with the std. tacho.

huxley309

i believe with the dta all you do is take your normal tacho feed and wire it directly to the tacho pin on the ecu

TVH

Pug rev counter needs inductive flyback to determine revs. It won't work with plain 'digital' signal. What I had to do with MegaSquirt tacho output, was drive a small coil with it!! I was instructed to use a automotive relay coil, and that did the job.

DrSeuss

you can install the rev counter drive from base model 306 clocks. Its a separate unit which works with an ecu feed.

smckeown

can you expand on that DrSuess

DrSeuss

Jaeger supply clocks where each drive unit is separate. ie the motors to turn the speedo spindle is on a separate circuit board to the motor to drive the rev counter spindle.

It involves replacing the rev counter drive within the clocks with the unit from the jaeger clocks. This is all second hand information i might add. But hilgie informs me its perfectly possible.

And from looking through the parts cd i concur. One point worthy of note, when we tried to do this with my mates xm clock drive, the spring is rather gentle and was broken quite early on in the swap.

smckeown

cheers for that, so has anyone got this working ?

Sam

Is it definate then Sam? I've tried coilpack BX ones which a few people said would work and had no luck (this was an omex ecu).

I'm not sure theres a definitive solution for all aftermarket ecu's unfortunately.

DrSeuss

aren't your clocks from a bx16v Sam?

Sam

Nope 8v coilpack BX with the same coilpack as me and the same coilpack as a coilpack 306,

coilpack coilpack coilpack, who'd 'av em.

edit: added the fact it won't be the same coilpack as a GTI6 or S16 obviously, save you the effort of putting it to correct me :)

Edited by Sam

IvarS

I've sucessfully got my tacho working with MS but it wasnt't easy to figure out! Once I got it working, I soldered a circuit to a friend of mine who has the same problem (S16-engine in 205). It took 15 min and cost £1 :) In my case, one automotive relay didn't do the trick as for TVH. I had to use a 380V relay coil.

Circuit%20coil2.jpg

DrSeuss

thats a nice ingenious little circuit there. If anyone wanted me to make them one i'd be happy to.

I've just bought the clocks off ebay to take the rev counter drive from. It'll be a plug and play solution.

smckeown

DrSuess if this is what I need to get my KMS ECU working with the OE rev counter then yes please, i'd make it worth your while sport!

PM me of interested

cheers

sean

Mattsav

Dont worry Sean.

We're just waiting for the PCB's for our tacho drivers to be made (they are on the way just taking time). My electronics man has a CNC mill in his garage (along with a CNC lathe I sold him) so he's making a custom PCB for them.

Similar to Ivars's, its uses a transistor to drive a specially wound coil.

As soon as their finished I'll send one your way. Hopefully in a couple of weeks.

We will be supply these FOC for 205gtidrivers KMS Customers :)

Sam
It'll be a plug and play solution.

Read as "bloody hassle to fit" and play.

DrSeuss
Read as "bloody hassle to fit" and play.

Just because your a chequebook tuner doesn't mean we all are :)

DrSeuss's in car electronics factory, we do the hard work, so you don't have to.

Edited by DrSeuss

Sam
Just because your a chequebook tuner doesn't mean we all are :P

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You have me mixed up with someone else :) My cars never been into anywhere for work. Who's sorting your car again :P

smckeown
Dont worry Sean.

We will be supply these FOC for 205gtidrivers KMS Customers :)

Nice one :D

Thanks anyway DrSeuss, i'm sure you'll have plenty of takers

pugrallye

swapping rev counters does work, I use a saxo VTS one in my gti housing, workds beautifully with coilpacks, takes a wee bit of dremelling to fit though

veloce200
Nope 8v coilpack BX with the same coilpack as me and the same coilpack as a coilpack 306,

coilpack coilpack coilpack, who'd 'av em.

edit: added the fact it won't be the same coilpack as a GTI6 or S16 obviously, save you the effort of putting it to correct me :D

cool - have you got a wiring diagram? I have to fix mine and a customers! thanks

Julian :o

pug_ham

I've also got BX coilpack clocks working on my car with direct rpm feed from the ecu. I had to swap the input wire into the plug on the back but works perfectly afterwards.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this