• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Removing Boot Trim

Richie-Van-GTi

Justabfetr some adice, whats involved with removing the bootlid outer trim? Is it going to leave holes or is it bonded on? Have seen some without it on and looks pretty smart. tried searching but couldnt find the answer.

j_turnell

If its the ribbed panel then you need to remove the badges, these are stuck on, then push the clips off with a screw driver.

Remove the inner boot cover and take the lock out, if your unlucky there will be another small clip you need to attempt to remove without breaking the plastic bit, which is impossible lol. Then with a bit of persuasion it slides off the bottom, becareful not to crack the sides.

If its the reflective type then just lever it off gently.

Richie-Van-GTi

Thanks, by the fact its all clips can I assume it doesnt leave holes?

Jonmurgie

Correct, it doesn't leave holes... but it DOES leave little metal nipples that tha clips attach to, so you won't achive a 'smooth' look by just removing the trim. Also you will find that areas of paint have no doubt been rubbed off over the years as well...

Gentrix

Sorry, you will find a small hole above the Lock.

j_turnell

Yeh there will be one small hole to the left of the lock iirc, this is from the pin that needs the clip removing from the inside. As Jon says there are also 4 metal nipple that will need grinding off and it all smoothing.

Richie-Van-GTi

Excellent thanks. I intend to keep boot lock, just ditching the grooved trim part :unsure:

de Noir

You'll also find loads of dirt under the rear panel. :unsure:

I removed mine yesterday night, "forgot" to remove the badges and clips from the outside, and just pulled it down. Actually the panel stayed pretty intact, but I have to replace it anyway because someone drilled the hole in it, and the left side was damaged earlier.

Guest jpt3

it's virtually impossible to remove those panels without splitting one or both of the sides. took me ages to find a replacement one that was intact

j_turnell

It can be done pretty easily just need to be careful thats all.

jshep205gti

Any chance of a pic of the back f your car with the panel removed? I wanna see how many holes are there etc.

bonjour.

M@tt

HPIM0573Medium.jpg

here's what mine looked like i've actually grinded off the lugs as i have had my boot comple4tely smoothed but you can see the two small holes where the lugs were

pacey205

And heres what it looks like after its been painted.

img12641oi.jpg

img04505pt.th.jpg

Well worth doing IMHO as it updates the rear making it look a little fresher, although having said that I do think the black panel looks good when its in good condition as well. Hence why i kept mine :)

Michael

Edited by pacey205

Sign in to follow this