• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BiFf

Washer Jets

Guest BiFf

Hi all,

Got a wierd one here. My washer jets have stopped working all of a sudden (not good in this weather). I've put a volt meter on them and when the stalk is pulled they are getting the required 12v there are abouts, but when the stalk is released they are still getting about 3.4v :D:o I'm guessing this could be why they aren't working. Has anyone had this happen to them and if so how did you solve it? Carrying around a bottle of water and stopping every 5 minutes to wash the screen is really starting to grate on me now!

Alternatively does anyone know which wire or where the plug is located for the washers so I can just rewire it :o

Cheers

BiFf :)

sonofsam

I know this sounds silly,but did you check the jets or bottle for ice :D cant say its happened to me,but i havent driven in the past 12 months so......

kate205gti

my squirters packed up on both my grey 205s (must be a grey 205 thing :D), i wired a switch in the dash in the end coz I was too lazy to fix it at the stalk

diagram supplied by doug :o :o

wiring2wr.jpg

hengti

Try testing the pump for the washer jets - it's clipped to the fluid reservoir. If you connect a voltage to the pump and it works, the fault is likely to be in the switch or the wiring - again you can test by passing a current through the switch end of the circuit

Should be able to find either part quite easily from a scrappie, and neither are difficult to fit

Anthony

Clean up the connections (as they'll be corroded) and replace the pump if that doesn't fix it. If you're getting 12v to the plug when you pull the stalk, then it should work fine.

jackherer
wiring2wr.jpg

circuits that are connected straight to the battery positive terminal like that should have a fuse really, especially if there are wires routed to the cabin. without a fuse if a wire gets caught on bodywork or otherwise inadvertantly touches an earth it will get hotter and hotter until it melts and can start a fire :)

Guest BiFf

I swapped the pump with the one on the rear washer jet and it works fine on there and the one the was working on the rear now doesn't work on the front :? so I'm assuming it's a wiring issue.

It's the fact it's getting a voltage when the switch (or stalk) isn't pulled thats confusing me.

I'll clean up the connections some more as I tried this a bit and see if that helps. If not I might just wire it direct like Kates diagram (but with a fuse) lol that did make me chuckle especially the girl picture bit :)

BiFf :o

kate205gti
:P didnt you know my hair was blue :unsure:

d-9

Its probably a dodgy stalk, mine was showing 12v when you pull the stalk but when it had a load on there it was dropping of to 3v. I was getting volts when the stalk wasnt pulled as well, spent ages trouble shooting it, but in the end a new stalk sorted it.

Yeh, I mentioned the fuseing at time, but was too lazy to draw it into the diagram (and kate was selling the car the next day).

stevec205gti

As Anthony mentioned - check out all connections, especially the earths behind the headlight.

It's not just a case of getting 12V across the pump - you also need to be able to get enough current to flow through it. This is what your poor connections restrict - and as a new stalk will rob you roughly £50 from pug I'd do all the simple basic stuff first and try and save your money!

base-1
without a fuse if a wire gets caught on bodywork or otherwise inadvertantly touches an earth it will get hotter and hotter until it melts and can start a fire :angry:

We know all about that, don't we Steve? :D I've got a spare stalk lying around somewhere in the garage you can have too

Edited by base-1

Sign in to follow this