• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M3Evo

Pc To Emerald Connection

M3Evo

Can anyone tell me if there are any settings on a laptop (nice and specific I know) that I can change to get it to recognise my Emerald?

Plugged it all in this evening, the Emerald light goes red and you can hear the fuel pump prime the system for a couple of seconds so I reckon my wiring's probably alright, but can I get the PC to do anything with it?!

Bit of an anti-climax really, after 10 months of bevering away, it's something that I have absolutely no control over that's letting me down :lol:

Cheers!

Alex

DrSeuss

make sure you have it all set up right in terms of baud rate and stop bits etc. it should all be set up automatically but if its wrong for whatever reason, it won't work.

Mattsav

Are you using a USB-RS232 adaptor?

If so then try reconfiguring the adaptor (via control panel) to use com port 10 (or any value further up the range)

Also try rebooting the PC while everything is connected. My laptop says the USB adaptor is working fine but refuses to connect to anything. Rebooting with every connected and it works.

M3Evo

Mmm, dad was asking about bit rates etc (Using his laptop). Doesn't seem to say in the Emerald book of words though.

Just using the comms lead supplied with the Emerald plugged straight into the COM1 port on the PC.

We know the port works because his modem uses this port when it's plugged in.

Grrr. Don't think this is gonna get resolved this side of Christmas now, unless I escape a hangover on Saturday morning that is.

Cheers guys!

Alex

Sandy

Have you tried the different software versions on Emeralds download site?

M3Evo

No, but I'd have thought/hoped that the software supplied with the box o' tricks would be the right version!

Computers hate me, that's what it is!

tom_m
Mmm, dad was asking about bit rates etc (Using his laptop). Doesn't seem to say in the Emerald book of words though.

Just using the comms lead supplied with the Emerald plugged straight into the COM1 port on the PC.

We know the port works because his modem uses this port when it's plugged in.

Grrr. Don't think this is gonna get resolved this side of Christmas now, unless I escape a hangover on Saturday morning that is.

Cheers guys!

Alex

if you already have a device assigned to the com port is it possible you have a driver conflict?

M3Evo

I honestly don't know anything about computers! Unless there's a setting I can change which says "make the Emerald work" I'm stumped.

Dad reckoned the modem might be the problem but it's bloody freezing and dark outside now which probably isn't the best time to be starting an unknown engine with various hoses carrying vital fluids all over the place :lol:

Think it's gonna have to wait until saturday now ^_^

The real trouble is that now the car's practically finished, I've got nothing to do! Guess I'll have to wade through this text-book on SolidWorks :D

DrSeuss

Perhaps miamistu would relish you lavishing your affections on his car.

M3Evo

Hmmm, good point, should really get on with his butterflies shouldn't I! :lol:

Don't think the remaining CNC bits will be ready this side of the new year though. Can't wait to see what fun we have getting his ECU to communicate with things!

miamistu

Can anybody who's got the emerald up and running jot down what their com port settings on their computer are please. Cheers :)

Craigb

When mine switches on , it defaults to com 3, but will not run unless i change it to com 9

don't know if this helps or not ?

M3Evo

Unfortunately the software only seems to give me the option for COM1 :)

Dream Weaver

When mine starts up it comes up with a dialogue box saying that my COM port is invalid and I should choose another.

It then has a box with COM1 in, so I just press OK and it works fine.

M3Evo

That's exactly what mine says.

Will have to try removing this modem thing and see where that gets me.

Many thanks for all the input thus far chaps!

miamistu

YAY! It works!

Thank fork for that! (alex here by the way)

Many thanks for the help chaps, no idea what the probelm actually was as taking the modem off didn't seem to help.

Ended up taking the home computer outside in the end, but who cares, my car sounds awesome now :D

Sign in to follow this