• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

Slipping Clutch

gti_al

My car seems to be having a few more teething problems than i would like, but this one has me really pissed off.

I've been driving it a bit for about three weeks, (i've probably done 2 - 300kms) but the clutch is slipping already. It wasn't new, but when everything was apart it was inspected and deemed to be fine.

I really don't want to pull the box off again, (if i don't absolutely have to) so i'm just wondering if there is anybody that has had slipping caused by anything other than a stuffed clutch?

Is seems a little unusual that it is slipping worst in 3rd and 4th, where i would have thought 1st would have slipped more when taking off.

hengti

are you sure it's slipping?

there seems to be an element of slip in the std clutch, even when new

I'd have thought that, if you can spin the wheels up in 1st, it's probably ok

jshep205gti

You had the box off and didn't put a new clutch in? :rolleyes:

That'll learn ya!

Shep

sorr

Check that you dont have contamination on the clutch from your leak as it may well be dripping onto the clutch through the vents.

gti_al
You had the box off and didn't put a new clutch in? :lol:

That'll learn ya!

Shep

My justification was that the engine only had to last a couple of months... plus, a clutch is what i paid for the engine, so i thought i would stick with the one that looked fine.

I'll look for oil getting in anyway - when the cooler hoses split it went everywhere so that is possible....

Sandy

It could be oil contamination from the gearbox input seal, it's not unknown for the seal to give its last when the box comes off and goes back on.

Stick you finger inside the bell housing and check for fresh oil.

gti_al

Thanks sandy, i think i have found my problem - and it is oil... Although its origins are a little different.

After examining the gearbox in my 405 (and another 205 one) it seems there should be rubber things in the hole on the front. (around the fork) When i had a closer look it appears that mine doesn't have any, and when the oil cooler hose blew it probably sent a heap of oil into the box.

So, if this is the case what damage is likely to have been done? Will the box be ok? (sorry if this is a stupid question - i know very little about them)

Sandy

The box will just need cleaning, but the clutch plate will be scrap, the cover may respond to emery and degreaser, same for the flywheel, or get a cerametallic plate which won't be bothered by slight contamination on the flywheel and cover.

gti_al

Thanks. I can probably manage that...

Where do you guys get clutches from? I'm thinking it may be cheaper to get one sent over...

And whats this cerametallic business?

tom_m

as a temporary fix, empty a can of brake and clutch cleaner into the bell housing using any useful gaps you can find, suprisinly it works quite well :lol:

gti_al
as a temporary fix, empty a can of brake and clutch cleaner into the bell housing using any useful gaps you can find, suprisinly it works quite well :lol:

Umm... seriously? I don't know enough about these things to scan for sarcasm... I can see this being a joke that ends very badly. (for me)

And sandy, thanks for the offer. That seems pretty good value when you look at what i will be paying here... I will have a read into this ceramettalic thing as i still have no idea what it means.

tom_m
Umm... seriously? I don't know enough about these things to scan for sarcasm... I can see this being a joke that ends very badly. (for me)

no serioulsy i've got an oil leak of undetermined origin that every now and again contaminates the clutch. if you wip off the inspection cover at the bottom of the gearbox and spray in (use the little straw thingy to aim) you'll be amazed at the amount of crap that comes out. there are other access but i can't remember where they are right now.

i've done this a couple of times; like i said its only a short-term fix and i'm swapping the engine soon so the clutch is pretty much disposable at this point.

its worked for me and its still going strong (been like it for 6 months :lol:)

gti_al
no serioulsy i've got an oil leak of undetermined origin that every now and again contaminates the clutch. if you wip off the inspection cover at the bottom of the gearbox and spray in (use the little straw thingy to aim) you'll be amazed at the amount of crap that comes out. there are other access but i can't remember where they are right now.

i've done this a couple of times; like i said its only a short-term fix and i'm swapping the engine soon so the clutch is pretty much disposable at this point.

its worked for me and its still going strong (been like it for 6 months :lol:)

Fair enough. It would be good if it did work as my oil leak has been fixed... How much do you spray in? Do you saturate it?

gti_al

And do you do it with a foot on the clutch, or not? (This may again be a stupid question, but i would prefer not to mess things up...)

Edited by gti_al

gti_al

My mechanic today recommended the brake cleaner treatment, followed by a thorough hosing through the holes in the box with a high pressure hose...

Does this sound like a stupid idea - will getting the inside wet (with water) do damage?

This guy knows his s*it, but i would like a second opinion before i put a hose in my gearbox...

Rob_the_Sparky

Seems sensible but just make sure you dry it out (e.g. take it for a drive). If you leave water in there then the clutch will stick (like brakes do if you leave them wet) and that can be a pain in the bum to release.

Rob

Oh and stop saying you are gonig to put it into your gearbox as this would be a truely bad idea, you are only talking about the bell housing here, not the box itself.

Edited by Rob_the_Sparky

Sandy

I'd be a bit concerned that all the grease might get stripped off the input shaft, causing it to rust and make the clutch spline grind or seize. Defo a temporary fix.

gti_al
Oh and stop saying you are gonig to put it into your gearbox as this would be a truely bad idea, you are only talking about the bell housing here, not the box itself.

Dude, how many times do i need to say i don't have a clue what i am doing... :P (sorta - kinda pulled off the engine swap...)

Thanks for the advice though guys. Sandy, what you said makes sense, but i think for now this has to be a better option than pulling the box off. (btw, are you the sandy with the jap powered rwd 309?)

Sandy

Yes lol, but that project got iced, it's not the end of the idea though!

gti_al

I finally got around to pulling the flywheel inspection cover off, and it is definately oily in there... I can't remember what the bellhousing was like when it was off, (i think i cleaned it) but the back of the flywheel is very oily, and it is collecting at the bottom of the housing.

I also took it for a drive, and interestingly it isn't slipping much at all in first. Third and fourth are pretty bad, but it is quite drivable if you are gentle.

So, i guess this gives hope to the brake cleaner course of action... Any suggestions on how to actually get it onto the clutch and front of flywheel though? How many holes can be opened up in the housing?

saveloy

A word of warning: don't buy a cerametallic clutch plate for road use.

It will be more juddery than a very juddery thing and it won't last more than a few thousand stop-start miles.

Sandy
A word of warning: don't buy a cerametallic clutch plate for road use.

It will be more juddery than a very juddery thing and it won't last more than a few thousand stop-start miles.

Sorry, but I have to disagree, i've been using them for years with no trouble and hardly any judder. It's the uprated covers that make them evil, not the cerametallic friction material.

gti_al

I took the thing to work today, and i think the clutch pedal itself is sitting a little low. (i'm not 100% sure - i've been driving my 405 lately) It looks as though it is sitting fractionally lower than the brake pedal, which is resulting it a very short range of movement for the clutch.

Is this where it should be? Could this have something to do with the slipping?

I'm pretty sure the cable is badly stretched, but i wouldn't have thought this would contribute to the slipping...

Rob_the_Sparky

Nope, that is just a feature of the clutch cable adjustment, nothing to do with it slipping.

Sign in to follow this