• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Roll Cage Installation Pic's

Miles

We've been installing a basic cage into a Race 205 were prepairing at the moment, So I thought I;d post a few pic;s of whats been done so far to give you all a idea of what can be done,

Another couple of Pic;s

Some more

and again

dito

B1ack_Mi16

Looks very good.. I'm starting to regret I didn't put some more tubing to stiffen the front more :(

But I didn't know whether the Mi16 engine would go clear of the pipes (same as you have put in the bay) so just dropped it...

Butler

Proper :(

smckeown

that tube looks small in diameter ? plus why is there no door bars ?

B1ack_Mi16
So I thought I;d post a few pic;s of whats been done so far to give you all a idea of what can be done,

_so far_ :(

About the diameter, I think to get it approved for racing use by FIA the main hoop must be 45mm diameter, and the other pipes must be 40mm. I can't remember the wall-thicknesses anymore, but looks like it's 45 and 40mm pipes that's beein used.

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

Miles

The cage isn;t finished yet, Just a progress report. The tubes are all Blue book diameter, Main hope 48mm from memory and in CDS tube, The bracing can be done in anything as it's not spec'd in the book, We have a old Golf in at the moment and the Cage Dia in that is quite small in comparsion

niklas

I think the cage looks spot-on!

Gave me a lot of good ideas about stiffening the front.

Also good to see the rear tubes actually connects to rear beam mount. I don't understand those who DON'T do this...

markrnorton

Very nice Miles, looks quality.

Hilgie

Nice work. Is a heater going to be fitted to this car?

Pugnut

thats quite an impressive set up for the front struts/ bulkhead .

thats going to be one solid car!

pug_ham

Looks great, not much could mess with that & win. ;)

Graham.

Sam
I think the cage looks spot-on!

Gave me a lot of good ideas about stiffening the front.

Also good to see the rear tubes actually connects to rear beam mount. I don't understand those who DON'T do this...

afaik its for hillclimb regs, the cage isn't allowed to connect directly to the suspension mounting points.

Miles

Got around to fitting the Passenger side Door bars and seat mounts today, It's off to the paint shop tomorrow for spraying so I'll have the completed pic's on Fri/Sat all being well

Thanks for the comments, this car is going to be very rigid, Our old one which was similar to this was great to the extent you could drive on 3 wheels (Aka old Citroen's).

Next cage will be my 306 which is going to be a challenge as it's having more bracing inside!!

But as Black's said I can;t understand why people don;t pick up on the suspension points, This is one of the main points of a cage installation

Martin@PRD

The wonders of a tube notcher!!!, good work there miles, though isn’t welding French galv. steel a pain then seam weld when it contaminats the welds?, are you planning to seam weld the shell?

Another good point for strengthen is the front, bracing the chassis legs with the same cross section you used for the door bars.

No more squeaks or rattles!!!!!

Edited by Martin@PRD

markrnorton
But as Black's said I can;t understand why people don;t pick up on the suspension points, This is one of the main points of a cage installation

I think that it's down to the regs within each race series, the series i'm entering next season allows cage to pick up suspension points, only downside is ANY additional bulkhead penetrations puts you straight into class A. Not sure if it's worth the sacrifice, class C to class A !!! ??? - thats playing with the big money big boys :)

M

Sam

How much does the "basic" cage cost :)

Miles

The basic cage supply is £250.00 (6 Point) and fitting is £250.00, For the cage as shown your looking around the £1000.00 mark.

I know with the Reg's you can get away at the rear by saying it's a seat belt mounting, I did this in my old 309 and got away with it as it's saftey related!!

Dj_mini

Miles what do make them out of just seamless mild steel?

Powers

I like the layout of the cage.

It is of very similar design to what the French boys use. So it must be good. I am however suprised buy the price!

sekim
The basic cage supply is £250.00 (6 Point) and fitting is £250.00

Do you sell the cage by itself? Is it bolt or weld in? Does it have a rear diagonal and door bars?

20 questions :P:)

Miles

The cage is made from CDS (Seemless steel) and normal tubing for the bracing points as it's lighter,

Yes we do sell the cage on it's own, but as there's loads of different combo's you need to cut allot of the tubing to size, but if your around pop down as we have the car until Saturday

twowheelterror
afaik its for hillclimb regs, the cage isn't allowed to connect directly to the suspension mounting points.

you 're right sam.

Having a cage linking the front and rear suspension points in the eyes of the rules makes the car a spaceframe chassis.

Severely limits what the car can be entered in

easypug

Any finished pictures of this Miles? Quite interested in seeing them if there are.

Dave

Miles

Dave

The car's gone to be painted and should be back Mid/Late Jan next year, But we do have a matching car if you want to have a look.

Henry Yorke

You could attach the exhaust manifold onto the bit that comes through the bulkhead and save having to get an exhaust :)

There was a rumour that Henri Toivenen's Lancia Delta S4 had nitrous secretly stored in the roll cage tubes and that was one of the reasons his car tragicaly caught fire, however I very much doubt this would have ever got past the scruitineers!

Sign in to follow this