• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MartinM

Megajolt Set Up On A Rr...

MartinM

Got my MJLJ working on my unmodded 127K mile 1.6 8v (well, just a Green filter, to be honest) a few weeks ago with a map closely derived from this post

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...056&hl=ignition

Seemed OK, but didn't really feel much different on the road. Mayhave been a bit better, but still had a misfire when holding the revs constant'ish between 3000 and 4000 rpm - disappointing seeing it is an ignition system totally independent of the main OEM components :P

...shift lights were very cool though

Spent a couple of hours on a RR two weekends ago. In summary:

- AFM adjusted (rotary offset, not north-south retracking) to give 3% CO

- MAP sensor disconnected

- peak hp from initial map measured (at the wheels) at 79bhp

- timing adjusted at 2000rpm to 4500rpm (at 200rpm or 500rpm increments depending on how the curve was looking) to give peak power at WOT with no pinking

- peak hp now 89.5bhp, but misfire still there

- plugs changed to NGK V-Power and gapped at 40 thou

- peak hp now 92bhp (maybe =112bhp at the fly?), and misfire totally disappeared.

- didn't have time to reconnect the MAP sensor and re-map the ignition at less than WOT (ie to create the entire 3-D map) so used the tuner's rules-of-thumb to add MAP advance at different rpms and manifold pressures

- re-connected MAP sensor

- verified that the ignition timing was indeed being controlled by a 3D map

Noted that the resulting map was quite different to the starting map - in general about 8 degrees more advance at all rpms above 2000 and no extra advance added above 2500 for any vacuum effects.

Took it out on the road - immediately noticed it as being much, much better. Pulls much stronger and much longer in all gears :wacko:

And all this by simple adjustments to AFM and plugs and getting the spark to fire at much more the right time taking into account rpm and MAP.

...and all built and installed for less than £100. Well chuffed.

Any thoughts?

Anthony

Glad to hear that you've got it working and it's made a noticeable improvement. Is Megajolt still using the EDIS setup, or is that like Megasquirt now able to use a proper 60-2 crank pickup and standard Bosch coilpack?

Are you planning on spending some more time on the rollers in the future to properly map the ignition at part load and high rpms, as from what I can gather from your post these were guessed as you ran out of time?

I'm still considering running my new engine on Megasquirt sometime in the new year, especially now that 60-2 crank and direct coilpack control are stable/supported on the v3 boards :wacko:

RobMGti

Great result :wacko: Very interesting if it can work with the crank pickup. I can see alot of us going down that route in the future.

Slightly off topic, is there any places that can officially map the Megasquirt range at the moment? I assume Wayne @ CW could do it?

Rob

MartinM

MJLJ is still EDIS (36-1 toothed wheel) and I don't see any rumours of it moving away - the MJLJ community is small compared to Megasquirt and the code development is only done by one guy and I don't know what his long term agenda is

I decided to have a go at it, since it:

- removes the problems (not that I've had any) of the OE coil, distributor, ignition amp, rotor arm etc etc

- is largely fail safe - if the MJLJ unit fails, EDIS still maintains the spark at 10 BTDC to get you home

- appears to me that just getting the spark at the right time in the combustion cycle is pretty important to performance, and a mechanical distributor has always got to be a compromise

- is low risk, as I've fitted it in parallel with the OEM system - OEM spark plug leads are tie wrapped to the strutbrace and in case of major MJLJ/EDIS failure I can just cut the ties and plug in the original system

- I wanted to see if I could get a few more hp from the car without mechanical tuning

- it was an interesting thing to do and I'm a bit of a geek :D

Not to say that now I've got some confidence in all this stuff, a Megasquirt isn't one the cards in the future :D

Yes, ran out of time on the RR - had a road rally that night and had other things to do (MJLJ was great on the night, but the alternator failed, battery went flat and DNF :( ) and will be going back for some more investigation - RR time was FOC since the tuner was interested in it and I may be making a few units for him to offer as a cheaper alternative to Omex, DTA etc ignition-only systems.

Happy to mentor anyone wanting to fit a MJLJ - I learnt an awful lot doing it and am happy to share..

Martin

Ahl
Happy to mentor anyone wanting to fit a MJLJ - I learnt an awful lot doing it and am happy to share..

Martin

Do you fancy writing an article to be included on the main website? :D It would be a very worthy addition to the others.

MartinM

Hmm...

...what's the fee? :D

...what's the process?

Edited by MartinM

mrknighty1

sounds like a good result, I've been expermenting with some differient map on my 1.6 gti and have made a good improvement (come on to the Piper cam smoother). I am hookup a Alpha air/fuel meter and test some different jet next.

I would be interted to share igntion maps and will post mine later in the week when I can steal my girlfriend laptop for a few hours.

As for the pick up wheel the way i did mine was. I mounted the sensor in the same bracket where a Diagnostics sensor was mounted that pointed at the top of the flywheel (towards the rear of the gearbox as veiwed for above). Then machined slot into the flywheel.

John

Ahl
Hmm...

...what's the fee? :D

...what's the process?

Its ok, we don't want a fee. You get international recognition among thousands of pug owners for free. :D

Have a look at the articles at the main site, www.205gtidrivers.com. You can send them to articles@205gtidrivers.com (preferably unformatted text and pictures). :blush:

MartinM

Nice comeback :)

I'll probably have a go at writing one over Xmas...

Sign in to follow this