• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
markrnorton

Engine Management - Emerald Or Omex

markrnorton

Guys

As the title says, got my purchase list down to either the Emerald or the Omex, any of you guys on here use either of these, any major pros and cons ? software limitations ?

Any constructive comments on the above would be appreciated

thanks

M

Edited by markrnorton

DrSeuss

dta for enhanced live mapping.

veloce200
Guys

As the title says, got my purchase list down to either the Emerald or the Omex, any of you guys on here use either of these, any major pros and cons ? software limitations ?

Any constructive comments on the above would be appreciated

thanks

M

i use emerald and think it's great. very easy to set up, they have map to lambda on the way too as well as traction control. Also rolling road set up is only £200 if you buy one.

Sandy

Emerald is far easier to decipher than Omex, but doesn't have as many features as far as I could tell.

DTA is preferable to both in my experience, easy live mapping, lambda feedback (on V29 and later WB lambda feedback) and good map resolution. The KMS ECU is looking good though, could be the best of the bunch. (Haven't used it yet)

Sam

Everyone has their preferences and seem to stick to them and don't budge, its a trend i've noticed.

Get the manufacturer that the mapper is going to be best with You could give him a motec and say map it and he could do a crap map because he's used to omex etc etc.

smckeown

there was an excellent comparison between all the major ECUs recently, think it was hilgie who produced it. Seek it out

DrSeuss

Features don't make software any easier to use though. Megasquirt has more features then emerald or most ecu's.

MBE is highly recommended by some. There is no easy solution.

markrnorton

To Late !

Bought the Omex 600 for the grand total of £943

Run on the Weber 48's to start with. TB's at the end of next season

Just got to put the trigger wheel on the crank pulley, and away we go !

Well maybe, still have to fit the engine !

M

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll post progress in the near future

petert
Just got to put the trigger wheel on the crank pulley, and away we go !

If it doesn't accept the std. Motronic 60-2 crank sensor I wouldn't have bought it.

markrnorton

Petert

It believe it does accept the std 60-2, i've had this machined off the flywheel to lighten it. Even if it didn't accept 60-2, i cant see what difference mounting another trigger wheel makes ! ?

M

petert

just more work I guess. Just make sure you mount it to the inner, rather than the out part of the harmonic balancer. I've also machined off the teeth in the past but couldn't be bothered anymore. I must be slackening off!

M3Evo

Ooh what does the OMEX 600 do? I've got a 700 sitting in a box but haven't used it yet.

Have to say I found the software a nightmare to use though :)

Sam

If you get problems phone omex, they've helped me out countless times.

XLR8

Ive used both & currently run the omex 100 on my rally car. Personally though I would prefer the emerald as it is a bit more user freindly..

Machining the omex trigger wheel onto the crank pulley was a fun challenge trying to get it on & also trying to get the missing tooth at 90* BTDC.

markrnorton

Just fitting the crank trigger wheel now, its a good bit of kit, heavy, so it needs to be lightened. but a quality piece.

fit the omex unit at the weekend and some of the wiring.

quite impressed so far, but it's still a wad of cash for a small box !!!

Sign in to follow this