• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PhilCTI

Reversing Light Switch Cables

PhilCTI

Hello all,

I've got a 1988 1.6 cti that has had a replacement engine from a gti, don't know the age, doesn't matter too much to this prob but it has a be3 gearbox.

There are no cables connected to the reversing light switch at present, I've got the numbers from the Haynes manual but I can't seem to find them, can anyone give me an idea of where to look please,

I was a little concerned to find what looks like a green single core cable with thick black insulation cut off just after coming into the engine bay from the bulkhead on the passenger side, any ideas what this was connected to?

Many thanks,

Phil

pug_ham

There should be a plug on the top of the gearbox near the starter area that fits onto the reversing light switch but it might be three wires with spade ends.

Graham.

PhilCTI
There should be a plug on the top of the gearbox near the starter area that fits onto the reversing light switch but it might be three wires with spade ends.

Graham.

Thanks for the reply Graham, The wiring is quite a mess in the area I'm looking, but I can't see any spare unused plugs or wires anywhere, maybe I need to take some of the hoses off so I can get a better look,

If anyones interested, I have taken some photos both as a record and to help me as this is my first project of this size, you should be able to view them at http://public.fotki.com/pillowjo/

can someone let me know if you can view the photo's please,

thanks Phil.

pug_ham

I've just had a quick look through your photo albums & it looks like you should already have removed enough pipework to see the connector, have you found where it should fit to the gearbox?

Graham.

PhilCTI
I've just had a quick look through your photo albums & it looks like you should already have removed enough pipework to see the connector, have you found where it should fit to the gearbox?

Graham.

Yes I can see the switch, but there is no spare wires anywhere near it, I'm wondering if they might be hiding in one of the plastic cable tidy's, I'll have a look when I get home from work,

thanks,

Phil

PhilCTI
Yes I can see the switch, but there is no spare wires anywhere near it, I'm wondering if they might be hiding in one of the plastic cable tidy's, I'll have a look when I get home from work,

thanks,

Phil

Tonight I jacked the car up and managed to find two more cable plugs hiding away,

I've got the reversing light switch as shown in this pic with two terminals

http://public.fotki.com/pillowjo/205_cti_r...on-1/cti_3.html

I found a blue and a white cable into a plug with I think 588 written on one cable

http://public.fotki.com/pillowjo/205_cti_r...-1/cti_007.html

and a brown and a purple cable into a plug, no number markings could be seen

http://public.fotki.com/pillowjo/205_cti_r...-1/cti_017.html

both plugs would not fit the reversing light, did different gearboxes have different reversing light switches as I don't know what the previous engine had as this is a replacement

Also should this be dangling down in front of the engine?

http://public.fotki.com/pillowjo/205_cti_r...on-1/cti_6.html

Thankyou all for helping a newbie, Phil

pacey205

The thing hanging down in front of the engine is more than likely the resistor for the fan or the headlight (could possibly be either). Not a problem but could probably do with cable tying out of the way somewhere, bearing in mind it can get very hot. There may be a clip on the radiator near the TB for it to clip into (if its the fan one). Headlight one is behind passenger headlight somewhere I think (dont wuote me).

Im sure the reverse plug is of the same type as the coolant temp sensor etc, i.e. it is a female connector with on of those gay little metal clippy bits that goes around the edge to give it better purchase on the male part. Pretty sure mine was a light blue colour as well but could easily be wrong.

Keep searching Im afraid.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

pug_ham

If it is any of the plugs you have found it will fit the reversing light switch in this picture , they should be master keyed & won't fit any other.

Graham.

PhilCTI
If it is any of the plugs you have found it will fit the reversing light switch in this picture , they should be master keyed & won't fit any other.

Graham.

I still can't find the correct cabling for the reserving light switch, I'm going to see if I can find it at the fuse/relay board end or just run a pair of new cables from there,

Phil

pug_ham

None of the plugs you have pictures of in your previous replies are the correct one for the reversing light, it should be a white plug that has a spring clip to hold it secured on the switch.

Graham.

PhilCTI

Just as an update in case anyone has the same trouble.

I managed to trace the wires for the reversing light switch and they turned out to be these.

http://public.fotki.com/pillowjo/205_cti_r...-1/cti_017.html

I have a spare fusebox from a gti and funnily enough it has the same colour coding for the wires to the reversing light switch, brown and purple (52 & 53) which helped me trace it.

The plug was completely wrong for the switch, I have a replacement engine and gearbox from a gti which I suspect is newer than the original, and the switch shape has changed, so I cut off the plug and crimped on new connectors and it works fine, just in time for me to rip out the rear lights for phase 2 one's!

Phil

Edited by PhilCTI

Sign in to follow this