• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dream Weaver

Where To Fit Air Temp Sensor

Dream Weaver

Just searched all over Google for this but cant find the answer :wacko:

I need to fit my Emerald air temp sensor, which would normally screw into the airbox on Jenveys etc, but as I'm using bike TB's with cone filters there is nowhere for it to go.

I was going to utilise the injector hole on one of the TB's that have been tapped, but the thread size is 1mm bigger than the AT sensor so it doesnt fit in there (I had them tapped for the servo feeds).

So where can I put it? What do people do that use the filter socks on webers/TB's etc?

I take it the sensor needs to be in the intake airflow, rather than just sitting around the TB area?

Finally, anyone know which is the earth/signal terminal on teh Emerald air sensor? :)

Robsbc

Emerald manaul states the air temp sensor is not to be directly in the air intake...

When I was on twin socks i palced my airtemp sensor in the little hook on the 8v filler tube which was next to the socks....

Dream Weaver

So was the sensor inside the inlet anywhere, or just hanging about in atmosphere?

Where does it mention it in the manual? I reckon to have read through it all, but may have missed that bit.

Hilgie

Just leave it hanging in the atmosphere. No problem.

Sam

IMG_1919red.JPG

Look at the trumpet nearest the bottom :)

Dream Weaver

Fantastic, cheers everyone, that was my last worry in this project, so all my questions/concerns are now answered and I can fire the bloody thing up this Sunday :)

Just need to buy some alloy to fab a coilpack mount first though :wacko:

Edited by Dream Weaver

tom_m

you must be as excited as a kid in a candy shop right now! :)

Robsbc

Regarding the postioning of your air temp sensor is the least of your worries...The corrections from the air temp is very small. Your biggest problem is going to be the standard position of the radiator facing your inlet trumpets and lack of cold air bein gfeed in. Last month both myself and 16v205 were at Emerald. My set up was utilising standard rad position and 16v205 having the standard rad dropped by 4.5 inches. Air temps seen on my mapping session was 65 degrees and 16v205 was getting 22 degrees on Dave Walkers rollers.

At one point we moved the air temp near the battery, initially it was by the air sock near the rad. The temp dropped down to 35 degrees but the throtle bodies are still drawing in that hot heat.

Dave has suggested to do something with my set up as mapping at 65 degrees is not good. Temps of around the 20 degree mark is much more the norm and closer to normal driving conditions.

Out on the road last month the air temp inside the car rose to around 20 degrees even though ambient temp was 10 degrees. As soon as the car stopped and the heat built up, rising initially from 10 degrees (from a cold start), the temp refused to dropped down any lover then 20 degrees. It seems the in car temps were always around 10 degrees higher than ambient temps. Also I drove with the grille off and got the temp as hot as 50 degrees under the bonnet and this helped to cool the car quicker, with grille on it took ages to come down even doing 70 mph on the motorway.

I've taken Dave's advise and gone the route of having a custom rad built instead. The rad has a 64mm core and is 75mm shorter in heigh tthan a standard rad. The top of the rad is level with the botton bar of the grille. A friend of mine also had one made and has been testing it and all seems ok and no problems with cooling etc...

Been able to take the car out this weekend as I had to make a custom bracket last week for my mocal oil cooler as it use to mount to teh rad cowling which is now redundant.

Obviously the ambient air temps is much colder than last month but the lower position of the rad allows cold air being feed to the throttle bodies and bring the under bonnet temps back down to more like ambient temps.

Sam

How much was the custom rad?

Robsbc
How much was the custom rad?

£250 for 64mm core rad

£45 for Spal 9 inch fan

AB motorsport 40mm core rad is £190

Edited by Robsbc

DrSeuss

What put you off just lowering the standard rad?

smckeown

yeah i was going to ask that, as i have had mine lowered much in like with how Des Developments do it. Glad to hear lowering it is a very effective mod

Robsbc
What put you off just lowering the standard rad?

Didnt fancy having the rad hanging under the car

Dream Weaver

Will have to consider the rad then once its running, still didnt manage to fire it up yesterday :D

All the last bits to do took 10 times longer than planned, only throttle cable, exhaust, fluids to do now though. :)

Sign in to follow this