• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ste

'sticking Starter' After Engine Swap.

Guest ste

Hello folks I'm hoping one of you can help.

I've just finished swapping a standard XU engine into a 1.6. I've fitted an early B6D engine into a '92 car originally fitted with a B6E.

I've fitted the car's original BE3 box to the engine. I've also swapped the entire thermostat housing with the water temp sender on the back from the B6E onto the B6D. Before I fitted the engine I changed the cambelt and other consumable parts. i checked the engine turned over OK on the bench and all seamed well.

Now it's in the car and all plumbed in and wired up it won't start. The engine turned over twice and then jammed. My heart sank as I originally assumed I'd got the cam timing out and the valves had become intimate with the pistons.

I stuck a socket and big bar on the end of the crank pulley and was pleased to find it turns over smoothly with the plugs removed. I guessed the starter was knackered so I pulled it out and fitted another one. Unfortunately after getting it all back together I still have the same problem.

Basically the engine goes to turn and then 'jams' producing a ticking sound from the starter.

My next plan is to tow-start it (bump start it on a rope) to free anything that may be sticking.

Is this a good plan? :D:lol:

Is there anything else obvious I should check first?

Cheers! :D

Edited by ste

Butler

Check the earthing points, particularly the gearbox earth.

Battery? Jump start it.

Edited by Butler

Fuqa

mine did this, and it was because i forgot to connect the earth from the battery to where the ignition amp went.

starter turned then clicked like it was jammed

jackherer

before you tow start it, try hot wiring it (ie connect a wire from the battery positive post to the starter solenoid spade). also check the thick wire is tightly bolted to the starter and that the gearbox earth wire is secure.

erica

I had this when I finally got round to putting another engine in one of my 205's. It had been sat for nearly two years.

It was the battery :D Id be tempted to swap the battery for one that you know to work and then try that. If all is solved then you'd just buy a brand new battery :D

vikgti

Sound like your battery is at fault.

Guest ste

Thanks for the replies - I had forgotten the main earth strap to the gearbox at first - I put that back on.

I also suspected the battery so stuck a mains starter on it. The battery measured at about 13.7v with that on. However the starter/charger is old and I'm not sure I trust it. i've a few batteries so i'll measure them all andd try the best one.

I'll definitely try the direct feed to starter idea though.

Thanks for the replies. :D

Powers

Any news on what caused this?

Cheers.

Sign in to follow this