• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Craigb

Tacho , Emerald , And My Car

Craigb

On the upside , last night i managed to fire up my car with the emerald ecu for the first time.

It ran a bit lumpy , as it has the standard map and a none std cam , so the rolling road mapping ought to be able to sort that one .

The next problem to solve is the tacho , I have done a search , and have read some conflicting information , so i bought the emerald module to be on the safe side.

The module is wired as per the instructions , 12v + feed , earth , signal wire from pin 12 on the ecu .

I had connected the orange output wire to the light blue/ green wire on the blue tacho connector, but nothing .

The connecter has three wires into it a white one , a blue/green sheilded one and a black one.

The white one is 32B the positive feed, the numbers on the other two wires are no where to be seen .

The question is have a connected the module output correctly into the blue wire ? What does the black one do ? I assume it is 1B that used to go back to the old ecu?

interstingly if I earth the black wire the tacho shows 2000 rpm ?

I am confused.....

:P

Dream Weaver

I wired mine in last week, though not sure if it works yet.

The module just interupts the wire from the ECU to the tachometer which is wire 112, so the orange wire from the module just goes to the light blue wire in the small brown plug under the dash.

Craigb

Thats where i connected mine to , but got no movement on the tacho.

:P

Dream Weaver

Bugger, i'll be trying mine for the first time at the weekend hopefully, so i'll let you know what happens.

Craigb

Additional questions , is the black wire now redundant ?

Where does the tacho earth?

are these two questions linked?

Have left a message with emerald for inspiration

Robsbc
Additional questions , is the black wire now redundant ?

Where does the tacho earth?

are these two questions linked?

Have left a message with emerald for inspiration

Tacho unit from Eemrald does work as my mate got it wired up a couple of weeks ago...

16v205

My tacho unit on the emerald works fine. I wired mine straight to the feed on the back of the speedo pack. Cant remember all the wire numbers but the one I cut was wire 112. I left the other 2 wires inplace and just connected the emerald output to #112.

Rich

Craigb

Not had chance to try it over the weekend, so will have a llok tonight , as something can't be right with how i have plugged it in .

Can anyone confirm what the black wire does , It goes with the blue one to a connector under the dashand steering column . Seem to think it went back into the loom , but is a while since i took the origional loom out ..

Craigb

An update on this issue

I contaced Karl at emerald , and now all is ok .

The black wire is the earth , and the reason i saw 2000 rpm when i earted that wire was that the ecu has a tcho tell tale that defaults to 2000 rpm .

If the engine is not started after 5 seconds from powering up, the ecu emits pulses that show the maximum revs from the previous run .

As i was only running at idle , it defaulted to 2000rpm .

ECU now in and running , tacho works fine , and shiftlight function working too

So one happy bunny , want to see what happens on friday now when its gets its first mapping :D

Butler
If the engine is not started after 5 seconds from powering up, the ecu emits pulses that show the maximum revs from the previous run .

Cool, so if your missus borrows the car you can see if shes been ragging it?

16v205

Is the tell-tale standard on all modern emerald units? Ive not seen the tacho move on mine when its on stage 2 ignition.

Rich

Craigb

The function is found in the events table

Tacho tell tale

Tacho driver on , off or clear max recorded

Don't know which ecu's this applies to !

Sign in to follow this