• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest donny206

Wiring And Emerald Ecu

Guest donny206

Has anyone on here every wired up there own emerald ecu on a 106 1.6 16V or 206 1.6 16v??

As i have to do one and i think i may need help!!

M3Evo

It's pretty easy if you do it one bit at a time (if you're dumb like me anyway)

I started by just running all the wires to the Emerald plug so that each relevant slot in the connector had one wire coming out of it.

Then, like a schoolgirl, I platted all the sensor groups together to keep things in order i.e. air temp sensor wires were twisted together, CPS wires platted etc.

Think we used 3m of wire per run.

You can then install the whole new loom in the car and run it through the bulkhead to the engine.

Next, set the path the wires are to follow around the engine bay.

Lastly, split the sensor earth wire near to the various sensors and splice spurs in. Rig up a live feed to the injectors and coil(s).

This method doesn't make use of much of the original loom, but it does save having to sift through 15 year old French wiring :D

Having installed the loom, we set about getting the immobiliser to do what it's supposed to again.

Hope that's of some help :)

EDIT> sorry, just re-read your original post but I guess most of that applies anyway......I think.

Edited by M3Evo

Guest donny206

no thank you its good to see you thought i was easyish! If anyoones done it on a 106 or 206 any pics of what u did would be nice, long shot i know!

miamistu

doesn't the 206 have some sort of multiplex system that you'll have to get rid of first (or are you putting a 206 engine in a 205?)

pug_ham
doesn't the 206 have some sort of multiplex system that you'll have to get rid of first
Yes, at least afaik it does.

Anyone that has wired the MP3.2 or similar system for an S16 engine or XU10 turbo should have a better idea of how these work. Multiple switched positives.

Graham.

DrSeuss

Wiring in an emerald shouldn't be too bad. If its pre-2000 i believe it won't be can bus, after that and basically your screwed i'm afraid. As it does craaaaazy stuff like the engine ecu tells the instrument cluster what speed its doing via loads of odd calculations.

And all these comms and interfacing prevents the simplistic standalone ecu from talking to the rest of the car. End result, car throws a real wobbly.

Guest donny206

s*it, not good

its 2001 end of year too

TEKNOPUG

Yeah, the Pug ecu controls lot's of the other cars functions, not just the engine. Lot easier with an older car.

pugrallye

dont even attempt it

engine ecu loops in with dash panel, convienience control module and abs module, long and short is too much hard work converting over to older generation system

smckeown

oh man i feel for ya....

cue the hamlet tv ad music........... :D

DrSeuss

best bet is to speak to someone like greddy, apexi or any of the other big jap tuners? They offer piggyback ecu's which can hook into complex jap car electronics. Whats the purpose of using the emerald?

Another option is to fit an mf2 if going forced injection.

Guest donny206

well i have already purcahse this but hiflow said it is very easy?

oh an i dont have abs but apparently i leave the old ecu in the car to run most things but then ad the emerald just for the engine side of things!

Edited by donny206

DrSeuss

Essentially your just piggybacking the emerald into the loom, the only other car i've heard this being done to was a ferrari 360 to avoid the rules involved in racing.

You'll have to work out which wires the ecu needs to function (speed sensor on gearbox, lives etc.) then jack the emerald into the wires it needs. This kind of install is going to be a REAL headache as your introducing too many variables as to why it won't run (assuming you don't get it right first time).

I'm very against the concept of paying for someone to sort out anything, but i'd strongly suggest you did exactly that, otherwise your car simply won't work very well. What is it your doing? Why the engine change? your standard ecu WILL be remappable depending on what your actually doing.......

Guest donny206

Bolting a T3 turbo on he he

Hmmm i will be speaking to hiflow heads as they assured me it would be very easy!

charlie_sav

The new multi plug ecu are not easy, the temp gauge on the dash works on a digital signal from the ecu, but we are working on a kit for the kms abit like this one for the single plug loom, all nice and plug and play !! :P

DSCF3292-vi.jpg

Edited by charlie_sav

Rob_the_Sparky

Sounds like a CAN bus, we use them all the time at work. Believe me, you don't want to get involved in it unless you have to and preferably then only if someone else has reverse engineered the system.

Doesn't sound like fun...

Rob

Guest donny206

hmm things are not looking too good! Thing is i have already purchased the emerald so i have to stick with it now! I can get it all wired up for £150 if i wanna pay hiflow!

I personally can't see it being too difficult but then again i haven't started it yet!

M3Evo

Don't these bus things have only a few wires running around the car, telling things what to do with little coded packages of information, as opposed to the tried and trusted 'wire for everything' that the older cars use?

Seem to recall my ol' man bleating on about how he thought cars should have a bus type electrical system about 15 years ago!

Butler

If Hiflow will give you a warrenty for the wiring, i'd say £150 well spent.

Guest donny206

i will have a look and get a wiring diagram and if i cant do it ill send it to hiflow! Just a ballache getting the car there etc!

pugrallye

in theory yes, CAN bus only runs on two bus wires (sometimes four - 2 different speeds) linked between switchind terminals and ecu's, but some ecu's are not linked directly to CAN so therefore wires are still in play, so you are still talking 40+plus wires exiting each ECU! Modern Audi A8 has over Sixty ECU's so get the general idea of how much wire is actually running around the car! (obviously reduced through the use of the bus system)

On the pug 206 cup cars, they get reverse engineered, so the bus system gets pulled out and standard loom goes back in

Edited by pugrallye

Guest donny206

Thing thing that has been said is just piggybacking the the ecu is what ill be doing! So ill just be tapping into the wireing loom i have! If i have a wiring diagram i cant see it being that hard if your soldering is good! I have done plenty of that!

Also i have rewired the ecu on a rover turbo coupe to put into a rover 200 without any wiring diagrams at at and that was pretty mucht he same thing as this! I Think!

Edited by donny206

DrSeuss

i used to work for a company making diagnostic software for top end cars and pugrallye is right. The new s-class has 10 separate can networks along with optical fibre to run the 'entertainment gateway'. These systems are common across all new cars and hugely complex.

As for 'tapping in' your right, its probably not that difficult, its just stuff like the crank position sensor that bothers me. As it may not be possible to run 2 inputs off the same feed (vr sensors produce a weak signal). I'd be very tempted to hand the car off to someone who knows what they're doing. And Rob and I are both qualified electronic engineers!

pugrallye

Yes these new merc's are getting silly!

As some of you may know I spend most of my days up to my ears in motor vehicle wiring, and piggybacking signal wires is a bit iffy, you would have to use exact solder in each concerned wire to avoid resitance changes and changing the set values of the componentry circuit. I personally would crate it off to Hi flow, if they break it, they pay for it!

charlie_sav

Kms have been having trouble on the new bmw's, but they run emulators on the engine sensors so the std ecu thinks every thing is happy and the car still runs but the kms is then piggy backed onto engine and the std ecu knows nothing about it,

but i belive that the late saxo's don't use the system to it's full and the ecu still just runs the engine, where the later c2 c3's the ecu does alot more other things. but if anyone has anymore info then that would be great.

Sign in to follow this