• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Xu10j4 Head On Xu10j2te Block

Rob Turbo

For those of you following the Xu10j4 Head On Xu10j2te Block? topic, I finally got the head fitted, just with old 2.0 turbo head bolts modified to fit (couldn't wait for the s16 bolts that I ordered!!) and with a 1.6 gti head gasket, afterall, this is only a test, didnt want to buy all new stuff twice before it goes on the road!

I bodged a second tensioner in place as I havent got the right one just yet, should be ordering the correct one some time this week

Also the timing belt doesnt fit the standard bottom pulley (timing pinion) as its too thin so a one from a 16v engine will be needed, I also used the old timing belt from my mates s16 that I had laying around after I put a new one on

Now for the GOOD news!!! :P

After timing it all up, I rotated the crank a few times and the pistons did NOT hit the valves, and it all stayed timed up correctly, I dont know exactly how close the valves came to the pistons but i'm going to re-test it after I have all the right parts (tensioner and timing pinion/bottom pulley), when I do the test again I'm going to cover the tops of the pistons with corrigated cardboard so if the pisons come too close I'll get a nice dent in it!

I'll keep you all informed!

Rob

Hilgie

That's good news!!! I knew about the pulleys though :P

tom_m

that is good news indeed!

make sure you keep track of everything for us, and some fun pics would be good too :P

Edited by tom_m

B1ack_Mi16

If you have 1.5mm clearance between piston and valve it's ok according ot my info from catcams. And I can't think it's a problem with the standard cams.

Rob Turbo

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention, the holes for the second were already tapped on my block so theres probably no tapping to do on any other xu10j2te!

I did take some photos but only on my phone, I'll take some with the digi camera later or one night this week

Rob

tom_m

it just gets better :rolleyes:

Rob Turbo

Heres a few photos, dont really show much because the engine is still in the car, it will be removed as soon as I get another engine hoist (old one was crap, it collapsed and put the light out in the shed!! :rolleyes: )

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

Pic4

Rob

Col

what are you doing for a manifold? diy or buying one in?

DrSeuss

One thing Rob, its an xu9j4 head :rolleyes: And he's diy'ing.

jochem

Great news, thanks for sharing!

Have you got any pictures of the Xu10j2te pistons? I'd like to know what the top looks like.

cheers, jochem.

Rob Turbo

I can take photos, but basically, they're flat! (and mine are white from under fueling/running too hot!!)

I'm going to use an mi16 inlet manifold, shortened as much as possible

Rob

Guest davetibbs

Out of interest, why shorten the inlet manifold? Need to start planning the 16v conversion to my 2.0 turbo lump

Would a GTi6 one do?

Rob Turbo

Well one reason it needs shortening is to fit the intercooler in front of it (behind the grill)

And I think you should keep the inlet as short as possible to reduce lag

A GTi6 one would do fine, probably better infact! but I couldnt get my hands on one so I made do with an mi16 one so I could get stuck in quicker (even though I havent got it yet!!)

Rob

tom_m

if i were gonna do it the gti6 head would be the one i'd choose :rolleyes:

Hilgie
Great news, thanks for sharing!

Have you got any pictures of the Xu10j2te pistons? I'd like to know what the top looks like.

cheers, jochem.

They are flattops....nu valve cutouts whatsoever.

easypug

How you getting on with this? Any more progress?

DrSeuss

Christmas has taken its toll and Rob hasn't done much on this afaik.

Rob Turbo

Like Sam said, I have hardly looked at the 205 for a while!

Waiting for bits and I need to perfect my ally welding for the manifold, looooooong way to go yet!!

DrSeuss

Get your mate to teach you how to tig.

Guest davetibbs

Any update on this at all? :(

At the moment I am just concentrating on getting the 405 finished and back on the road but after that I will be building a shed in the back garden :) to build up the second engine :P

My plan is get a spare XU10J2TE block, and I've spotted a 2.0 16v Xantia in a scrappy which I'm tempted to go and buy up the head now so at least I have the head ready - although I'm uneasy about doing this at the moment as I can see myself fitting it to the 8v Turbo engine currently in the car and prolonging the completion date even further!

I was planning on using a GTI6 inlet manifold as they seem to be surprisingly common on eBay etc and look like a very good manifold, but I am also looking at DIY Throttle Bodies made out of twin 45s or whatever though I need to know how well these are going to cope with boost etc.

Edited by davetibbs

B1ack_Mi16

The fact that XU10J2TE engines have flat-top pistons can't be entirely true.

This is a picture of a XU10J2TE engine that a swedish guy bought for his 205 Rallye.

It clearly shows dished pistons. But that's maybe down to there's at least two different engine codes for the XU10J2TE.

post-3331-1142156687_thumb.jpg

jacobs53

I have stripped apart a xu10j2te (8.5:1) and a xu10j2cte (8:1), and they both had flat top piston, the difference in CR is slight domes in the underside of the valves.... Have no idea what them pistons are from????

I doubt that the pistons in that engine are standard to be honest, unless they made a very low compression turbo unit for other countries...

lee

B1ack_Mi16

The engine apparently came straight from the scrappy.

I've seen XU10J2 N/A piston myself, and they looked like this ones, but they certainly didn't have as deep dish as these XU10J2TE ones seem to have.

Another picture of the same engine as it came from the scrappy before head was taken off.

post-3331-1142159869_thumb.jpg

jacobs53

maybe the block was changed at some time?? to a stnadard xsi block?

lee

Guest CB-Dave

why would you have low comp dished pistons in an NA block?

there were two versions of the turbo lump, one that was 140-odd hp and one that was 155 or so (iirc), maybe the dished pistons are for the higher output engine to run a bit more boost, and the flat pistons are for the lesser output engine to make up for lack of boost pressure and as such keep the CR up to make the engine less horrible and laggy to drive

Sign in to follow this