• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jakob

My 205 Cti Turbo

Jakob

Small update. Just fixed the idleing to have it run smoothly and had it run for several minutes to get warm for a longer time. Everything still sounds and looks just fine :D

Tomorrow I will install my AEM Wide band sensor kit and get some readings, test and further programming done with my omex. Cant wait to have it on the road - still have to get my breaks done first aarchh :wacko:

I will get back with some update pictures...

Edited by Jakob

JamieTonks

that looks so awsome. i so would love a 1.9 8v turbo

Jakob

Thanks! and I would love a T16 ;o) Is there anywhere I can see some engine shoots of your T16 conversion :D

Edited by Jakob

Jakob

First run with boost - and what a feeling :wacko:

The car has been stored in the garage during the winther and now the spring start to show its face here in Denmark it was time to do some testing. So I went to get a set of driving plates for the 3 days at the local police and started the 205 up at 20:00 to day.

It hasnt been running since some time in november. Wired up the AEM Wideband and boost gauge and started the motor. It started immediately and sounded just like the day I parked it - just fine :(

Went on the street and waited for the temperture to go over 70.

The first time I pushed the pedal I could read pressure on the boost gauge for the first time and the little 205 just went of as I have never expereinced it before. What a feeling! 0,5 bar and the car felt so fast. Ok, I have been driving around in my 405 1,9 Diesel all winther, but having in mind the memories of my previously 150 hp N/A gti engine (portet and kent cam) the tourge and accelration was so much different!!!! Not to compare - Still Smiling :D It has so much more power all over the rews. And the feeling of power is just amazing and such a great feeling after working hours and hours with the engine setup.

The lambda readings was fine and next step ist to open the bleedvalve and bleed the air to the actuator (standard 0,6 bar) and go for the 1 bar zone. I still have to be carfull with the ignition and mixture, but I will proceed slowly while adjusting the Maps in the OMEX 500 management. Can't wait to drive and adjust it the next couple of days.

What a great day :D

Edited by Jakob

tidypug

i'm happy for you mAN. Pleae allow for my drunkness and that :wacko:

w

RobMGti

Videos are needed! Will it be going to a dyno at anytime?

tom_m

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, yeah videos are definatly needed!!! :)

Henry Yorke

I know the feeling you talk about! My CTI has just returned to the road after approx 15 months with an epic turbo conversion, and it feels so good driving it :D

Jakob

Yes it's a great feeling - once turbo always turbo :D

What kind of turbo conversion have you done? 8v or 16v, which turbo, intercooler etc...

Dont know the word epic Turbo - properly my bad english :P

Some updated pics of my engine

motor21cz.jpg

motor14fg.jpg

Edited by Jakob

nickpug309tt
Yes it's a great feeling - once turbo always turbo :D

What kind of turbo conversion have you done? 8v or 16v, which turbo, intercooler etc...

Dont know the word epic Turbo - properly my bad english :D

Some updated pics of my engine

motor21cz.jpg

motor14fg.jpg

Looks the same spec as my old 8v turbo lump. :D GT28R and XU10 head. I was running 11 psi and made 177bhp at the wheels. Over 200 ib/ft of torque as well. I did run a lower compression on my engine though of 8.1:1 as was intending to run one bar. I had 8 injectors and and large intercooler. It just needed the OMEX like you have though. I have seen someone run 250bhp on the GT28R turbo on this setup. However, he had water injection and was running 1 bar. The thing ran a 13.2 quarter :D and was using an MF2 mapping control like I was. There is a guy over here, Mikeanics, who can tune there 8v turbo lumps really well. Guy is amazing at setting them up. I secret to getting over 200bhp on the 8v lump is not to use a T25 series turbo. Regardless if its a hybrid. Just not up to the job. The GT series turbo is the way to go.

Jakob
Looks the same spec as my old 8v turbo lump. ;) GT28R and XU10 head. I was running 11 psi and made 177bhp at the wheels. Over 200 ib/ft of torque as well. I did run a lower compression on my engine though of 8.1:1 as was intending to run one bar. I had 8 injectors and and large intercooler. It just needed the OMEX like you have though. I have seen someone run 250bhp on the GT28R turbo on this setup. However, he had water injection and was running 1 bar. The thing ran a 13.2 quarter :D and was using an MF2 mapping control like I was. There is a guy over here, Mikeanics, who can tune there 8v turbo lumps really well. Guy is amazing at setting them up. I secret to getting over 200bhp on the 8v lump is not to use a T25 series turbo. Regardless if its a hybrid. Just not up to the job. The GT series turbo is the way to go.

It is always nice to hear info and conversion stories from some one else.

One question: Which exhaust manifold did you use? and which one did the 250hp guy use?

I asking why I have my doubt with my TT manifold.

Anyway here are som updates:

Today I went for the 0,8 bar in boost. The mixture was fine and no detonation. The car felt amazing. The boost come a little late due to the A/R 0.86 turbine housing and the long 63mm piping. I would say from about 3.000 rpm, but I cant tell due to missing rev countersignal (the output from omex 500 went to the fuelpump). And I havent been logging yet otherwise I would have known. Anyway when the boost hits it just katapult the car as I have newer dreamt of. It just feel so powerfull. It made wheel spin in the upper rews of 3rd gear when the hp realy comes in. What a feeling! Though it has to be sayd that is was a little moistered and the wheels are ready for the junkyard.

Just after some runs I heard some bumpling from the front. So I got back in the pit. Found the boostpiping from the turbo to the intercooler hidding the driveshaft. The piping goes in the left site on the buttom and there is not 1 mm more space. Damn!! I looked further and found more problems. A silicone hose is hitting the drivewheel (dont know the exact word) on the servo stearing unit (1993 model). Now what - there is no space more to relocate the piping at this position. The first 40cm piping from the turbo is 2' and should therefore not be smaller. Damit!

I have therefore decidet to go the water/air intercooler way. By doing this I can totaly relocate my piping and have it shortend and place over and to the left site of the engine. The battery has to go in the back and the intercooler will be placed here. I have a cooler unit for the cooling of the water/air intercooler however I dont have the intercooler unit. I will have to look for that one and a suitable pump. I have thought of the pressure swift from the MF2 unit that is standard delivered in the box with the Mf2 unit. This switch can be adjusted to give 12v at a given pressure. By this I can adjust it to start at >0 bar.

So back in the garage. I have taken most of the piping apart plus various units to get space for the new intercooling and piping. Also the 309 GTI front bumber will have to go together with the intercooler and silicone hoses that fits the outlets. They are reducing 70>63mm 90 degree bends (interooler in/outlet 70mm).

I think the result would be even better with the water/air intercooler.

Another thing: Has anyone made any adaptor plates for bigger throttle on the standard GTI inlet manifold. Koen has send me loads of information - one of them was information about an Alfa V6 throttle conversion. Sounds very interesting but an adaptor plate has to made. Maybe someone has a drawing or know where to get it ? I would like to have at least 63mm all the way.

The fealing of power in the little bastard has really got the optimismen going high :D

nickpug309tt

I would not be too worried about the TT exhaust manifold. I used it and so did the chap I know well who ran 250bhp. I've seen the thing with my own eyes and the proof was the 13.2 quarter he did(time after time). He gave me all the tips to getting the GT28R on. The boost comes in only 200rpm slower than the T25. This has been measured on the rollers which also measures boost. I compared it with previous runs I did on those rollers with old T25. So 200rpm is nothing. Especially if you've had your engine lighten at the bottom, like I did. My main problem with the GT28R, if you can call it a problem, was that the boost came in so hard the thing went mental ;):D I loved it! In the wet it wheel span in all gears. Anyway turbo lag can be altered by a good tuner by backing the timing right off. Speak to a tuner who knows what they are doing.

My tip to you would be to get water injection on your car and wrap exhaust wrap around the TT exhaust manifold. Works well with these engines and I'm talking from experience. :D

Galv

Does the turbo outlet go downwards? under the sump??

Jakob
Does the turbo outlet go downwards? under the sump??

Looking from the front of the car the outlet piping starts with a 45 degree bend at the turbo pointing downwards and to the left. Hereafter another 45 degree bend and from hereon a 30cm strait 2' pipe that goes just over the driveshaft and under the big 90 degree coolant hose that connects with the water/coolant pipe that goes along the motor at the left at the chassie to the radiator. So the outlet piping is not going under the engine but rather in the button on the left site of the engine.

Jakob
I would not be too worried about the TT exhaust manifold. I used it and so did the chap I know well who ran 250bhp. I've seen the thing with my own eyes and the proof was the 13.2 quarter he did(time after time). He gave me all the tips to getting the GT28R on. The boost comes in only 200rpm slower than the T25. This has been measured on the rollers which also measures boost. I compared it with previous runs I did on those rollers with old T25. So 200rpm is nothing. Especially if you've had your engine lighten at the bottom, like I did. My main problem with the GT28R, if you can call it a problem, was that the boost came in so hard the thing went mental :ph34r::( I loved it! In the wet it wheel span in all gears. Anyway turbo lag can be altered by a good tuner by backing the timing right off. Speak to a tuner who knows what they are doing.

My tip to you would be to get water injection on your car and wrap exhaust wrap around the TT exhaust manifold. Works well with these engines and I'm talking from experience. :D

Thanks for the info. My concerns is that the TT manifold would have too much backpressure at about 250 hp / > 0,8 bar and would stress the engine, turbo coolant etc.

I know now what you are talking about when you say the boost come in so hard the thing just go mental. The GT2860RS is brilliant for the job and has pressure map that fits very good wiht the airmas from the 1,9 turboed engine. I have no problem with the lag - it dosnt come in that late and I love the kick when it starts.

I dont think I will go the water injection way - at least not now. However I have thought about wrapping the manifold up the exhaust wrap as the temperature get dangerous high under the hood. To start with I may just fit a stainless cover over the manifold and turbo.

Later this week I will collect a full rebuild rearaxel (dont know the english word for it - the axel between the rear wheels) with calibers and every thing to fit the CTI. Plus a complete GTI front mount with dampers etc.

Also I have contacted DES Developement regarding af straigt fit complete 2.5' exhaust system. Currently I have the standard exhaust system mounted.

Hopefully I will get the water-to-air intercooler within the next week so I can have it running again soon. Cant wait to get on the street again :D

Jakob

Waterintercooler mounted, what appears to a T16 water section for the intercooler, water pump 26L/min @ 20mm diameter. 58mm 2.0 XRI throttle installed. Cut in half (idle motor cut away) and welded. Special flange. All vacuum hoses springs off from one place. Heatshield mounted over turbo. Raising rate regulator trashed -> makes it too difficult to map ecu. Waiting for my 3' exhaust system from DES developements.

front16hd.jpg

front65ny.jpg

CarImage813.jpg

Edited by Jakob

Guest leegt

looking really good, hope mine looks as good as that when its finished. just a quick question, are you using standard pistons or forged ones, cheers lee

Sign in to follow this