• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TheUltimateWarrior

Electric Windows On A Cti

TheUltimateWarrior

alright, anyone got the wiring diagram for the cti electric windows? Got the motor in etc but the button has 5 bits on the end. Any one with a clue let me know

cheers

GLPoomobile

I have the door cards out and the wiring hanging loose at the moment, so I can let you know bt tomrrow if no one gives you an answer sooner (assuming it will be the same as my GTi).

Sorry, just can't be arsed to walk out to the car park to look right now! The car is miles away.

2-Pugs

Just get the loom from a scrap car!

Failing that look in the Haynes manual at the wiring diagram

jackherer

I found the answer here

Working from the centre of the switch, I think the middle is positive, then the next two are the earths, and the outer two the motor wires... but have plenty of fuses incase i'm wrong...

can anyone confirm that?

Failing that look in the Haynes manual at the wiring diagram

does the haynes give the pinouts for the switch itself? I havent got a copy to hand right now to check but I don't think it does...

if it comes to it I suppose I could just take the switch apart to see what the contacts do lol

2-Pugs
does the haynes give the pinouts for the switch itself? I havent got a copy to hand right now to check but I don't think it does...

Well sort of. It shows the 5 contacts with the different wires leading off to their respective locations

Paintguy
Working from the centre of the switch, I think the middle is positive, then the next two are the earths, and the outer two the motor wires... but have plenty of fuses incase i'm wrong...

I can't say for certain, but I have a switch in pieces in front of me, and from the way it operates, the above statement seems at least partly correct.

On operation of the switch (in either direction) the central pin becomes connected to the outermost pin. That would indicate live coming in in the centre, and feeding out to the motors on each end pin.

When the switch is 'at rest' however, the central pin appears to be connected to the ones immediately next to it.

jackherer

sounds odd, you wouldnt expect anything to be connected when its not being pressed.

Paintguy

That's what I thought too.

I can only guess it's to provide continuity to the other switch, which is needed for the passenger window. I don't know if you're aware, but unless both switches are present, the passenger window doesn't work. That again points to the switch providing continuity when 'at rest'.

jackherer

yeah that makes sense, but that wouldnt be the case for the drivers side, does that only use four of the five pins maybe? logically all it needs is positive and negative in and two wires to the motor.

Paintguy

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I haven't got a wiring diagram in front of me, so I can only make assumptions based on what I see. :)

Some kind of rendundancy maybe, so that the switches are interchangable? And really, neither switch actually needs an earth, as they have no illumination, they just switch the feed to the motor.

Of course, they could be negative switching, just to add to the confusion, but I can't see it somehow. Hopefully someone will come along armed with the diagrams :P

Anthony
Some kind of rendundancy maybe, so that the switches are interchangable? And really, neither switch actually needs an earth, as they have no illumination, they just switch the feed to the motor.

The wiring is there for the illumination though, hence I've got light-up window switches from a 605 in mine :)

GLPoomobile

I thought Ph2 had illumintaed window switches after a certain year. I thought mine was supposed to, J plate 91, but it doesn't.

pacey205

As far as I know no 205 had illuminated switches but it is relatively easy to fit them from a 405/605 etc.

Michael

Ahl

You'll quite often find that the bulbs in the illuminated switches are blown. My advice would be to go to a scrappy with plenty of 405/605's, Use a screwdriver to whip the top off the switches and pocket as many if the little yellow bulb holders as you can...

As anthony said, they fit straight into 205 switches.

Paintguy

Have you managed to sort this out yet?

A few minutes with a multimeter and wiring diagram have got it all straight in my head, but it might be a different story trying to explain it :)

After seeing that they could be illuminated, I knew they must have an earth somewhere, but I confused myself with this:

When the switch is 'at rest' however, the central pin appears to be connected to the ones immediately next to it.

It looks that way inside the switch, but it's actually not the case. Pins 1&2 are connected 'at rest', as are 4&5. Also finding out that the motor only has 2 wires to it (no dedicated earth) cleared things up a bit, as the motors earth out back through the switch. No wonder they can be temperamental! The pasenger side is even worse, as it has to earth out through both switches (in series)!

If you want me to try and explain it all, I will do, but it might be easier if I just get you all the wire numbers in the correct order for connection (I can sort that tommorow).

Note that the actual pinout order in the Haynes wiring diagram is not accurate (surprise surprise).

Edited by Paintguy

Henry Yorke

You can just hook little 12v bulbs over the pins in your standard swithc to make them illuminated. Maplins sell them by the bag load :)

Also be careful with CTI door looms as if it is a later one with the looms that disconnect at the A pilar then there are two types and the central locking (which you may as well fit of you don't have it already) uses the old grey drivers solinoid from early pre-PLIP cars as CTI's have no PLIP. I retrofitted both to my L plate skip.

KaspaCti

Hi,

I know this a bit of an old thread but did anyone ever come up with a wiring diagram with the switch pin-outs on it? I've just bought the bits to convert my '87 D plate Cti to electric windows but I'm going to have to make the looms up myself. I've got the wiring diagram in the haynes manual which is straightforward except for the obvious lack of pin numbers on the switches! Haynes, yet again so near and yet so far :wacko:

I have searched the forums for an answer to this but I can't find what I'm after. Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Sean

Sign in to follow this