• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

Rusty Underside Of Car

Paintguy

I also 'finish off' any rust treatments/converters in the same way, by adding a final coat, and wiping it off immediately. Although I've never tested the theory myself, I've read plenty of info on the possible adhesion problems caused by any remaining product, so I don't take the chance.

And if you are using 2K Epoxy primer, rather than the more usual 2K urethane, just check with the manufacturer or supplier on the best application method. Most recommend epoxy straight over (properly prepped) bare metal, rather than having anything else underneath. Some are certainly NOT designed to be used over any kind of etch primer.

I'm looking at moving over to epoxy myself, as it seems to offer many benefits over the long established methods. The main one seems to be that it's not porous like most other primers, so *should* prevent any moisture (and oxygen) from reaching the bare metal, thus preventing rust re-forming.

As I say, I'm still looking into this, so if anyone has any previous experience of epoxy (Beastie?), your comments would be gratefully received, and probably not too far off-topic here. :D

B1ack_Mi16

Then I think I'll take your advice and just put an extra layer of that phosphate acid when I'm finished with the whole underside. I can see problems with the remains as it doesn't really seem to stick very well to the metal at all.

I haven't tried the 2k epoxy on top of the zink-primer yet, but will let you know when I do it :D

I guess it'll work fine as I've put 2k epoxy in the enginebay where I removed rust, and also round the windscreen, and it seem to stick good where it's overlapping old-paint and primer too.

B1ack_Mi16

Done some more blasting now.. it actually proceeds pretty well..

CIMG0760.jpg

I also managed to just jack the car up, remove the rear beam, and put some wood under the inner rear arch.. So now I can access everything :)

Rik, at the B-pillar I made this "thing":

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...05/CIMG0766.jpg

Paintguy

Love the B post bracket.

Simple, but effective (as the best ideas usually are) :)

Banjo

Are you using actual normal sand? Looks like your cars in a giant sandpit!

Ben

B1ack_Mi16
Are you using actual normal sand? Looks like your cars in a giant sandpit!

Ben

I'm buying 25kg sand-bags from a local motor-facors.

Cost approx 4.5£ each bag.. And it seem to be normal sand... :)

Beastie
As I say, I'm still looking into this, so if anyone has any previous experience of epoxy (Beastie?), your comments would be gratefully received, and probably not too far off-topic here

Hmm... I'm still looking in to this one as well and I haven't really made my mind up yet. So far I'd say that there are considerable advantages to epoxies in the modern refinishing trade. However I am a serious believer in sacrificial primers for the restoration trade - and the thing with Zinc Phosphate and Red Oxide (beware of imitations :D ) is that their action is well tried and tested. Porosity is a problem unless you overcoat soon after with something to seal them in. Zinc rich epoxy primers look as though they may offer the sacrificial protection I'm after -- trouble is that I never test stuff out on customer's cars so I need to try it out on my own stuff over a period of time. The old Jaguar is well underway now so it will probably have to wait to next year and I'll try it out on the next project. :)

And it seem to be normal sand

Works just fine - ffs be sure to wear really decent respiratory equipment for the blasting though: Silicon sand is a killer :P

B1ack_Mi16
Works just fine - ffs be sure to wear really decent respiratory equipment for the blasting though: Silicon sand is a killer :)

What's silicon sand?

Now I'm more or less finished with the blasting for the underside and is soon ready to start priming, just have to get rid of the sand first :P

Pics:

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...05/CIMG0852.jpg

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...05/CIMG0853.jpg

cybernck

the man's got a private beach! :)

great work! :P

Beastie
What's silicon sand?

It's the natural sand you get in a builder's yard or a

private beach

:):P

B1ack_Mi16
It's the natural sand you get in a builder's yard or a

:P:(

Ouch.. I've been blasting more like 1000kg's now in total on the car.

Approx 4-500kg's on the underside, and havent been very good with the respiratory equipment, what does this actually do, and how health hazardous is it? :)

Beastie

Approx 4-500kg's on the underside, and havent been very good with the respiratory equipment, what does this actually do, and how health hazardous is it? :)

I'm not a medical expert so I haven't armed myself with the exact details - I just know it's a good idea to protect against the stuff. I do know that it can cause various respiratory problems including emphasymia. I gather that it has a cumulative effect. I'd imagine that you would have to be pretty unlucky to suffer dire consequences after just one job - it's usually regular users who end up with the big problems for this sort of thing. I'd still take the warning for next time though. I wouldn't want to blast with natural sand on a regular basis unless I was wearing an air fed visor!

silicon sand

Health Hazards

Edited by Beastie

niklas

You'll risk getting problems when you get older. In worst case, silicosis or cancer. Or asthmatic problems (because of reduced lung capacity).

Some exposure on hobby level during a lifetime is not the end of the world, but always be careful and use protection!

Even though it's just a quick job etc :P

B1ack_Mi16
You'll risk getting problems when you get older. In worst case, silicosis or cancer. Or asthmatic problems (because of reduced lung capacity).

Some exposure on hobby level during a lifetime is not the end of the world, but always be careful and use protection!

Even though it's just a quick job etc :P

Strange Biltema donesn't put any warning on it? :)

niklas
Strange Biltema donesn't put any warning on it? :(

Hehe maybe they just don't know? :angry:

The same goes for all kind of dust not being organic. From brakes, clutches, you name it...

For example there were a couple of headlines some time ago about F1 drivers being exposed to carbon fibre brake dust. I don't know what the conclusion was, but I think it's something they were taking quite seriously.

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_20049.shtml

http://www.mad4f1.com/f1-technology/f1-helmets.htm

"A filter cleans the air of the finest motor oil, carbon and brake dust particles."

Hrmm slightly off-topic ;)

B1ack_Mi16

Update...

Now finished painting the rear part of the underside, and finished cleaning the rest of the underside and blasting some few spots of rust. Soon to be painted the rest of it now.. :)

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...06/CIMG0919.jpg

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...06/CIMG0920.jpg

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...06/CIMG0921.jpg

niklas

Looks really good!

Btw, is that toolbox from biltema? :ph34r:

Edited by niklas

Redtop

Looking good now. If you want the car to stay that way for many years to come I would recommend body shoots. I know its black and maybe not the best looking, but it will keep the body in pristine condition. Mine is done that way and it ain't got nop rust on it.

cybernck

i think he's going to use the car for trackdays only B).

Powers

That looks really good. I fully appreciate how much time and effort you have spent on that car. Keep up the quality work.

B1ack_Mi16

Thanks for the reply's guys. As cybernck said it's mostly a trackday car, but will also be used a bit as a "fun-car" in the weekends and when it's not raining in the summer. Not going to use it in the winter at all. The rust-preparation will hopefully last a while before it starts on again.

I'll not put stonechip or any other underseal on it, prefer to see what's going on under there, easier to spot the rust then, than when it's encapsulated in underseal. Also that stuff weight quite a bit? :huh:

Picture from this evening, painted the whole underside now.

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...06/CIMG0926.jpg

Sign in to follow this