• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Braided Brake Lines

Sam

Only on the front but I am considering it, is it a wise move or not?

I need to move the front mounts (the ones that support the copper to braided join) and to be honest I can't be arsed with the hassle. Are there any downsides?

I can sell my hoses to someone doing a brembo conversion so thats not a big issue.

madaxgt

Yup wise, only downside is cost to do and for a replacement etc. Braided hoses expand less than copper pipes so better pedal feel will be result. Go for it! PLus looks cool imo

M3Evo

I was under the impression that the flexy hoses would expand more than hard pipes in copper?

Ho well, live and learn :)

Craigb
I was under the impression that the flexy hoses would expand more than hard pipes in copper?

I'm with you on this one , how can a braided hose not flex more that a solid copper one ?

Although in answer to the original question , thats how all my lines are fitted , braided throughout . Purley from an ease of fitting .

nick-rallye

I have been told that depending on what your mot tester is like, he could fail you for full braided lines as they cant test them for leaks etc correctly as they would copper/rubber hoses.

Jonmurgie

I've never heard of anyone using braided hoses from MC to Caliper... personally I'd stick with Copper as they don't flex AT ALL, whereas even braided hoses will still flex, just a lot less than rubber hoses!

smckeown

braided are far superior in many ways:

1 - better fittinggs. Copper ends are all concage, and guess what the calipers and M/Cs are alco concave. With braided lines generally have convex ends for that perfect fit

2 - copper lines rust / snap like a bitch

3 - copper lines will always have a rubber element that will flex more

Sean

Jonmurgie

So what do they use on race cars then?

Why will copper lines have a rubber element that will flex?

Simes
I've never heard of anyone using braided hoses from MC to Caliper...

Anthony's 205 has.

With regards to MOT failure - I believe (I could be talking crap) that it maybe due to how the lines are fitted, keeping the gap equidistant against the chassis along the bottom of the car; which is more difficult than with copper.

Edited by Simes

smckeown
Why will copper lines have a rubber element that will flex?

rubber flexes more than a braided hose or copper, you can't have copper down to the caliper can you

Jonmurgie

Ah, your confusing the matter now..

I'm on about normal copper pipe then braided hose to the caliper... your just on about a totally standard setup!

Anthony
Anthony's 205 has.

With regards to MOT failure - I believe (I could be talking crap)  that it maybe due to how the lines are fitted, keeping the gap equidistant against the chassis along the bottom of the car; which is more difficult than with copper.

It has indeed, and I've not had a problem MOT'ing the car with them on. Mine are just clipped onto all the original copper pipe mounts under the car and the testers appear to be fine with that. Can't comment on them expanding more than copper pipe would/does, and can't really do a before/after comparison as I bought the car with the hoses already on, but the brakes certainly work and the pedal seems firm enough.

rich_w

Sorry but doesn't copper oxides (sp?) not rust? :)

Batfink

copper pipes are better as they dont flex at all. Really you should run solid pipes as far as phyically possible for the best braking performance.

But

It doesnt look as good

Ryan

Copper lines are much better than braided, as they flex less, and also expand less under pressure. The problem with the standard setup is the rubber hoses used to connect the bits together. If you keep the copper and just replace the rubber parts with braided then you will get a firmer pedel than if you used braided throughout.

I don't see the point of using braided everywhere. It's quite common in the rallying world, but I think that just for bragging rights...

Sam

Not worried about looks so much but I'd rather not lose the solid pedal, perhaps I should just rebend the copper ones to my standard mounts and not attach the ARB.

Sam

Rippthrough
I don't see the point of using braided everywhere. It's quite common in the rallying world, but I think that just for bragging rights...

Less suceptable to damage from large knocks.

Ryan
Less suceptable to damage from large knocks.

If I were building a rally car I'd put the brake lines inside the cabin, but I'd still use copper and just use braided for the bendy bits.

Rippthrough
If I were building a rally car I'd put the brake lines inside the cabin, but I'd still use copper and just use braided for the bendy bits.

Yeah but being rigid they transmit more stress.

Not that I've ever seen one fail from going over a jump yet though.

C_W
braided are far superior in many ways:

1 - better fittinggs.  Copper ends are all concage, and guess what the calipers and M/Cs are alco concave.  With braided lines generally have convex ends for that perfect fit

3 - copper lines will always have a rubber element that will flex more

Sean

A master cylinder should be "dished" concave and the copper pipes going in to them should have a male union with a single flare, meaning rounded end to fit up against the concave of the m/c otherwise they'd never seal surely?

smckeown
A master cylinder should be "dished" concave and the copper pipes going in to them should have a male union with a single flare, meaning rounded end to fit up against the concave of the m/c otherwise they'd never seal surely?

so forgetting about the union, you still have a concaved MC and a concaved copper pipe. Far from ideal

Rik

It all depends how the copper pipe is flared whether the seal is good or not!

Craigb
so forgetting about the union, you still have a concaved MC and a concaved copper pipe. Far from ideal

A proper copper brake pipe tool allows you to form convex and concave forms , so sealing in not an issue .

base-1

braided all round is fine, can make things easier as you have less connections to piss around with

rally cars are built to different specs depending on what the builder likes, everyone has different preferences. we mainly use hardline systems now but have cars with flexi throughout and copper/flexi.

madaxgt

OK i wrote that wrong! apologies. Braided will expand more than copper but obviously less than rubber at the end.

Ideally you want steel lines as OE but try bending a steel line to fit!!! Steel lines expand even less than copper lines. It only takes the minutest of expansion to reduce pedal feel.

Sam your best bet is to do as everyone has said and use copper lines from the MC to the wheel arch as far as possible and then use braided to the caliper.

Sign in to follow this