• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
S33GAV

Problems Please Help

S33GAV

Hi

I've just changed my brakes (well sean did) on my white mi (ATE Powerdiscs and Mintex 1144 pads) and now have a couple of problems, not sure if they're related.

Problem 1.

Firstly the brakes seems to be sticking when they get hot, and start making noises when pressing the brake pedal, and without pressing it. also get a noise after a long drive, when they're hot, when turning while parking. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side.

I took both wheels off and checked the discs and they seemed ok, and tuned fine without any problems.

Problem 2

It seems that putting my foot down when in a higher gear (i.e. trying to pull from 2k revs for example) there is a juddering type noise, and it feels like its spluttering. If I was to drop down a gear so I'm in the zone it's fine, and pulls with no problem. It only happens when in a higher gear than I should be in, if that makes sense

not sure if these problems are related or not, but I'm going on track tomorrow and would love to fix these probs first.

Any help/ideas etc much appreciated

Gav :rolleyes:

pug_ham

Problem 1; What noise does it make when you brake? If its a buzzing then that is normal, its caused by the grooves & mine do it, gets worse when hot but not really noticable at slow speeds.

How new are the flexi hoses & are they braided?

Problem 2. Check the dizzy cap & rotor arm imo. I had a similar thing on my mum's old 309 & thought they were quite new so replaced loads of things before looking at them. finally looked at thecap & it was tracking like mad & the rotor arm was fcuked.

Graham.

kevcomdude

I had a problem like this on my 205 Gti.

The front brake slightly stuck on the disc while driving and heated my front disc until it was glowing red, this in turn slowed the car down, and the juddering came from the disc warping under the heat.

What happened was the dust cover around the brake piston came loose and dirt was getting behind and into the piston mechanism.

I got my dad to help me remove the pads and push the piston in and out by pumping the brake pedal, clean the piston, and then push it back in. We did this several times until it was very very clean, then re-attached the dust cover. The rim the dust cover sits on needed cleaning out too.

Hope this helps

Kev

jonD6B

Prob. 1> Could be worth asking how easily the pistons pushed back into the caliper when the brakes were changed and also whether they had trouble fitting the new discs and pads in there location being brand new. If they were tight they could be constantly rubbing. I've had it before where the new parts physically wouldn't fit from being slightly oversize.

Prob. 2> Sounds like a breakdown in the H.T. side of the ignition system.

Sign in to follow this