• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joni

1.6 Gti Engine Power Output

joni

Potentially, with no turbo or supercharger what Horse Power could be obtained from a tuned 1.6 gti 8v engine. Somebody i know has suggested they have a dyno print for a tuned 1.6 showing 180hp at the flywheel. Sounds like a hell of a lot. Could this be possible?

Anthony

A dyno print showing 180hp is often very different to an actual 180hp, and I suspect that is the case here. 180hp from a 1.6 8v is probably just about possible in a fully money-no-object race-prepped 1.6, but is certainly outside of the rhelms of possibility for your average road engine.

joni

Yeh i thought as much. However the bloke has no reason to lie. Alhtough the person who sold it to him (and gave him the dyno print) may have. All my mate says is its hard to keep it in a straight line with all the power?!

I thought maybe its an mi16 unit (producing 180hp or whatever) but my mate didnt seem to think so - just a tuned 1.6 apparently although he's no 205 guru (like myself!).

He's giving me the engine, loom and ecu (for free - nice guy!) etc He says it has a rattle which he thinks may be tappets but who knows until i try it - can't complain for free though and i assume if it was htis then i could fit new shims?

If it is a tuned 1.6 will all the power be coming from a modified head/cam or is there things you can do to the bottom end too without lengthening the stroke?

joni

'A dyno print showing 180hp is often very different to an actual 180hp,'

Anthony - what do youmean by this are some of the dynos poorly calibrated?

Jonmurgie
what do youmean by this are some of the dynos poorly calibrated?

opens a can of worms.... <_<

Anthony
'A dyno print showing 180hp is often very different to an actual 180hp,'

Anthony - what do youmean by this are some of the dynos poorly calibrated?

Well, yes, there is the issue of calibration and the fact that many dynos are somewhat "optimistic" shall we say. However, the real problem often stems from the operator of said dyno, in that some don't know what they're doing, and some deliberately tweek the rollers to show more power than the engine is actually making - especially true if the dyno graph came from the company that did the tuning.

Now, to get these wiggling worms back in this can that's been opened...

As for your engine making 180hp, well, I personally find it very hard to believe. Is it still running the standard intake and engine management, or has it been swapped out with throttle bodies and mappable management like Emerald, Motec etc? Standard intake and management would struggle at more than say 130-140hp on a 1.6 IMO, as you just wouldn't be able to run enough cam for much more without the management freaking out and the idle going out of the window.

As for the rattling, well, GTi engines always are a little tappety by their very nature, but a serious rattle could be all manner of things. Maybe valve clearance that are well out and need reshimming, but maybe something much more serious.

joni
opens a can of worms.... <_<

Ok Ok. I'll leave that one and wait and see what the engines like. But before that, as a novice, are there any other obvious suggestions of what common tapping noises come from these engines (otehr than needing re-shimming).

pugpaul

A cracked manifold or the gaskets around the manifold have seen better days!

joni

Will be using my own manifolds so should cure that problem. If its free i can't expect too much but fingers crossed!

Ryan

Wouldn't the 1.6 injectors also max out before you got to 180 bhp?

Guest rick03054

Definitely, can't remember the flow rates off hand but turbo technics added an extra injector to the 1.9 and that was to get a quoted 175bhp.

So I seriously doubt the smaller 1.6 injectors could get near 180bhp

Anthony

1.9 injectors are suitable for around 181hp @ 85% duty on an NA engine (turbo engines tend to have a higher bsfc figure, and thus need more injector flow for a given power output) and 1.6 injectors definately flow less than that.

That said, the injectors are a minor problem compared to getting the rest of the engine upto a spec where it's capable of putting out 180hp...

j_turnell

Pretty much impossible for it to be using the standard injection system, my group a cam wouldnt cope atall. Tbh i find it very unlikely for this power figure to be true, or they have way way too much money.

Ryan

As said above it may just about be possible with a blueprinted bottom-end, throttle bodies, ECU change, not to mention some SERIOUS headwork, but I seriously doubt it actually has that kind of power.

Check the small-print on the graph and make sure they haven't added 50bhp for "transmission losses"

Miles

I doubt it very much, Even good 1.9's start at 180bhp and are not road friendly really, With std manifolds and Motec the 1.9 made around 170bhp a few yr's back so a 1.6 would as said somewhat less than that, But if it's the TU 16v 1.6 it could well be that sort of power

Guest Sonny
I doubt it very much, Even good 1.9's start at 180bhp and are not road friendly really, With std manifolds and Motec the 1.9 made around 170bhp a few yr's back so a 1.6 would as said somewhat less than that, But if it's the TU 16v 1.6 it could well be that sort of power

I've been searching for this topic for quite some time, all because i was reading TRC Feb issue where it's featured a 205 Gti 1.6 breathing through a pair of 45 dell'ortos and was putting out 172bhp!

Quite impressive, uhh?!

Regards

Alexandre

Longun

When I fitted my 285 cam to my 1.6 on standard injection it almost made it undrivable.

180 is possible with a 1.6 but I for one wouldn't be giving the engine away, it would have needed a lot of work to get those figures.

My 1.6 is due on the rollers in the next few weeks to get the carbs setup. I'm not interested in the figures produced just that I get the fueling etc spot on but will post the figures for people to shout about :) I've got an average spec and if the rollers were acurate I'm expecting its about 115@wheels maybe a bit less.

Sign in to follow this