• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ashnicholls

Fuel Pumps

Guest ashnicholls

I have just read some where that the cut off lever in the top of the weber carb works up to 4psi.

an a facet fuel pump is say 4-6 psi, does that mean, that if you have twin carbs they each will be getting 2-3psi or both will still be getting 4-6.

or even better still, if im running twin 40's on a tuned 1.6,

what fuel pump would i need, and if i need one what regulator would i need.

cheers.

Ryan

Both carbs will see whatever pressure the pump puts out.

Matt Holley

I use a facet red top fuel pump and a regulator to get the pressure right

Martin@PRD

A cheeper way is to use the original injection pump and run it in a circut but replace single banjo union with a double output type running to a pro top valve £25

i had to go this way to fuel my nos kit, as this did sup juice

Guest ashnicholls

have not got injection pump as its a carb engine. but the fuel pump will now not work as the gti cam doesnt have a cam lobe on the end of it to operate the fuel pump.

puginfo

>>> mine is a carbed engine with the original cam rated at 110 bhp when i swapped it for a gti cam rated 125 bhp. the gti cam had the fuel pump lobe on it so i used the original pump back on to supply the weber. i'm baffled as yrs does not have the fuel pump lobe! they are very identical every way except the durations are longer in the gti cam.

rescue dude

Had my 8 valve 1.9 with twin 40,s and a Carter pump rolling roaded yesterday and it worked a treat.

The guys at Aldon were very impressed.

Just got a problem with electrics to sort out. Mfield what dizzy and ecu you running or could reccomend for my 8 valve?

Guest ashnicholls
>>> mine is a carbed engine with the original cam rated at 110 bhp when i swapped it for a gti cam rated 125 bhp. the gti cam had the fuel pump lobe on it so i used the original pump back on to supply the weber. i'm baffled as yrs does not have the fuel pump lobe! they are very identical every way except the durations are longer in the gti cam.

thats what i thought, that every cam had a pump lobe, but this one hasnt???????????

Guest ashnicholls

whats the cheapest pump that i could use, with twin 40s upto 150bhp, which would be engine mounted.

cheers

205mattgti

I use a facet red top fuel pump with a King fuel regulator and it seems to work quite well u can get them both for around £100

I use a facet red top fuel pump with a King fuel regulator and it seems to work quite well u can get them both for around £100

Guest ashnicholls

when i say engine mounted i mean mounted in the engine.

boombang

I have a small solid state facet pump to use with mine.

Try calling 0870 787 1401.

I paid very little for it but think the guide retail price is about £35.

Speak to Spencer if possible and tell him you spoke to Alex who used to work at DES and see what deal he can do!

Guest ashnicholls

cheers thank, where is that mounted, and does it need a regulator.

cheers

mfield
Had my 8 valve 1.9 with twin 40,s and a Carter pump rolling roaded yesterday and it worked a treat.

The guys at Aldon were very impressed.

Just got a problem with electrics to sort out. Mfield what dizzy and ecu you running or could reccomend for my 8 valve?

Im using the webcon alpha ignition setup, i would recommend using a programable ignition system with carbs. The cost was high and can defeat the point of using carbs some might say but systems like the megajolt make it much more affordable :D Using 45's with 145 jets i can honestly say i could get 300 miles to the tank which in this day and age over a year would save abit in fuel costs and pay for it self. It also means you can have it reving high with the correct advance. Some on here might vouch how well the setup worked with what was essentially and l&b bottom end ( which wont make much difference ) p&p stardard valve head and a reprofiled cam that had standard lift just lots more duration all on a 1.9 8v :)

Guest ashnicholls

i dont want stuff like that as its only more things to go wrong.

i want to keep it simple.

boombang
cheers thank, where is that mounted, and does it need a regulator.

cheers

it needs to be mounted as close to possible to the tank and needs no regulator.

jonnie205

facet red top pump, can be mounted anywhere on fuel line. Under bonnet seems to be best for a road car. try RH inner wing.

you need to regulate the output to roughly 3.5 psi, i use a filter king to do this...

Daz_C
wouldnt this be fine on its own, without a fuel regulator.

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/produ...roducts_id=1693

Yes it will. U don't need a regulator with the facet pump aslong as the floats on the carbs are in good condition. When the chambers in the carbs are full it closes so as not to let any more fuel in. Running with the pressure of the facet it will not cause any damage to the carbs/floats.

i personaly have been running a Facet RedTop for well over 5yrs without a regulator and had no problems with it this way.

There is also a fuel filter in the pump so its not neccessary to use an inline filter but this is upto you.

Guest ashnicholls

you will need a regulator with a red top though wont you, because that works at higher pressure, and no matter how well the float is working it will still be pushed open at higher pressure.

notamondayfan

if any 1 is considering a pump from here-

http://www.racetep.com/webfuelspark.html

maybe we could group buy and save on shipping costs from the USA.

id definately be interested, as these seem the best around.

any 1 else?

Guest ashnicholls

Ok i got this pump.

I have just fitted it on my bulk head.

Connected up the fuel. And just tried it on the battery.

The pumped worked, priming itself and then filling up the carbs.

But it didnt switch off.

So i thought the float was wrong.

But then when i took the pipe off an put my thumb on the end of it.

The pipe doesnt shut off?

Whats the matter with it.

Is it because I have mounted it vertically.

Cheers Ash

mfield
Ok i got this pump.

I have just fitted it on my bulk head.

Connected up the fuel. And just tried it on the battery.

The pumped worked, priming itself and then filling up the carbs.

But it didnt switch off.

So i thought the float was wrong.

But then when i took the pipe off an put my thumb on the end of it.

The pipe doesnt shut off?

Whats the matter with it.

Is it because I have mounted it vertically.

Cheers Ash

as far as i knew the pump always pumps and never shuts off, the floats just hold it back. If the pressure is too high the floats will be held open and flooding will occur.

Sign in to follow this