• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sorrentoaddict

Proxes R 888

sorrentoaddict

I just wondered whether anyone has any experience with the R 888 semislicks ?

Mostly interested in how good they wear on trackdays ?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers

alex

Jonmurgie

I spoke to an MG driver at the last Combe day about them as he had them on his car and for the money they are s*ite! Your much better off getting a set of Yoko A038's or something as they are similar money and much much better!

sorrentoaddict

Cheers, good to know !

They seem to be rated good compared to Kumho and Yokohama Adan semi-slick in an independent test, but for sure there is no comparison to the A038 !!

I am only amazed to hear that they are more-less equally priced to the A038 in the UK, as you say - whereas hear, in Bulgaria, and in Italy as well, they are way cheaper than A038, and also cheaper than the ADVAN semi-slick series.

Cheers

alex

stu8v

I've heard in trackday conditions they are just too soft and overheat quickly.

sorrentoaddict

they seem exactly like that on finger touch - I saw them in a shop couple of days ago and was amazed at the suppleness of the compound.

I can only guess they should be ok for hillclimb & light rallying ?

cheers & thanks

alex

smckeown

i'm surprised you have a main stream track tyre and its too soft.

Normally to get a really soft compound you have to explicitly buy it soft. For example the Yokohama 032r (and 038r) were sold in Medium, Soft and SuperSoft compounds. Also the newer 048r tyre comes in Medium or Medium Hard compound

So my point is if Toyo offer just 1 compoind for the 888 and thats too soft well i'm extremely surprised, even to the extent i'd really doubt if that were true (happy to be proven wrong)

Yokohama 048r (Medium compound) is the new king of the 'track day tyre' hill, therefore my next tyre aquasition

Edit :i've just read the toyo site and it says "The medium soft compound has performed significantly better than soft compound competitor tyres." So even they are saying it's not soft

Sean

Mandic
I've heard in trackday conditions they are just too soft and overheat quickly.

Last sunday I went on a trackday and a guy had them on a Civic VTi HB Gen.6 at the front and A038 at the back and after 4 or 5 laps laps he came to pitstop and there was lots of smoke coming out of front tyres :o<_< rears were fine.

But his overall impression about them was ok, lots of grip he said, they are 70 quid for each here in Slovenia (195/50/15)

[EDIT] I've read in Jap. performance that lots of owners are amazed upon their grip in wet...

Cheers

Edited by Mandic

smckeown

bear in mind Nik that the Yokos need to warm up before they grip their best.

Mandic

Does anyone know how much do they last if driven on regular, daily basis?

smckeown

why would you want a track oriented tyre for the road ? thats rather a waste isn't it <_<

cybernck

thanks sean, one of the guys that use R888 told me they heat up enough by sitting in the sun ;).

madnic, the same guy told me R888 would last about 6 thousend kilometers.

does anyone know how long do yoko's last?

smckeown

it depends on the compound.

So for 038r or 032r SuperSofts i'd expect about 5k road miles. For the medium compound 048r's I am expecting them to last more than that, but i have no idea. I may have a chat with the caterfield or Elise guys as my track cars never do many road miles.

I'll say it again though, you'd be completely mad to use a track orientated tyre for more than track and to/from track use, with the exception of occasional road usage.

Mandic
why would you want a track oriented tyre for the road ? thats rather a waste isn't it ;)

Agree, that's why I'm asking. If they can be used for at least half the time as some good road tyres that's quite impressive

madnic, the same guy told me R888 would last about 6 thousend kilometers.

Thanks

smckeown

ok I see your point. Here's another reason why you dont want track oriented tyres on the road...

To get the most out of a track tyre you need negative camber at the front (and poss. the rear, although thats debatable). So if you had a predominantly road car, you will never want neg camber on the front (at least not as much as you'd want on a track setup)

So in this situation i'd use worn road tyres on the track and normal road tyres on the road (similar to what C_W uses i believe)

Sean

sorrentoaddict

TOYO advertise that their compound for the R 888 is a so-called GG compound (?), and they say it's a cross between semi-soft and soft compound.

But they really seem to be very much on the soft side. That, coupled with the very good groove design, probably makes them very good in the wet, too (by semi-slick standards, that is..).

It seems to be a perfect rear tyre for my BX, as it is so light at the rear

that it needs really a softer compound in order to build up some decent temperature in the rear tyres.

I guess I will buy two and see, as they are VERY temptingly priced where I live.

It seems that, for track driving, they are too soft for anything heavier than 700 kg., and especially unsuited for driven axles in powerful cars.

One friend of mine bought 4 of them yesterday, and put them on a RWD 950 kg. car. We will see how they keep up. (although he missed the chance to heat-cycle them, he was too tempted.... )

Cheers

alex

Jonmurgie

Reading the Toyo site and speaking to PowerStation (Toyo Dealers) the 195/50/15 size isn't coming out until the summer anyhow... so a few months to wait yet I think!

One of the PS Mechanics has ordered a set of 17's for his scooby so I'll see what he reckons to them!

cybernck

yep as far as i know, R888 are available in 195/55 and 205/50 in 15" size ;).

sorrentoaddict

I don't see anything bad in it - the natural track-oriented size for the 205 is 195/55-15... for many reasons, explained many times before.

Garry

Anyone got any new opinons on these now?

Jonmurgie

Interesting you bring this back up... I'm going to try a set when my car's back on the road. I think Toyo have revised the compound of the tyres as the other month at a Combe trackday I was chatting to some of the racing BMW's that were there practicing and they all ran on 888's and looking at the wear and hearing their reports they seem to be pretty good now.

Seeing as they are almost 1/3rd cheaper than the Yoko's I'm going to see how they last :(

Garry

Thats what I have noticed. they are £63 at the mo from camskill including delivery.

I was thinking about these or some Colway F2's these are £51 each including delivery.

Quite a few kit cars come with R888's so I would be surprised if they are that bad.

billsygma
Thats what I have noticed. they are £63 at the mo from camskill including delivery.

I was thinking about these or some Colway F2's these are £51 each including delivery.

Quite a few kit cars come with R888's so I would be surprised if they are that bad.

I'm using r888's on the 205 mi16, done 3 trackdays on them so far and I rate them.Wear rate has not been brilliant, but all the damage was done at Llandow (which frankly, will just about destroy any tyre). Cold pressures are 26 on the front and 24 on the back. Pound for pound I really don't think you can do any better.

proaxis2

If you want your tyres to last don't get soft compound of the Yoko 048's. After one trackday last weekend at Rockingham they are nearly gone on the front, only useful for one more trackday with them on the rear!!

They did grip amazingly well though :( I just can't afford to blow £160 (for two) on tyres every trackday!! B)

How many trackdays can you guys get out of the medium compound version? I'll probably try those or may try out the 888's if they're a third cheaper!

Adam

Sign in to follow this