• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest kamal

Changed My Clutch Cable This Weekend

Guest kamal

Bugger of a job and so here are some instructions. Takes around 1.5 to 2 hours and you need an imperial set of spanners doing it the way I did it. Clutch is lighter and less creaky and so it was time well spent!

USE A GENUINE PEUGEOT CABLE ONLY

1) Move car into a suitable position for jacking and then remove battery. Jack car and USE AXLE STANDS!

2) Undo old cable at gearbox end first (you dont need to undo the 2 nuts-10mm and 13mm- entirely as the cable can be taken off through a small hole in the arm (doh!-I struggled for ages doing just this). You may need some crockodile pliers to hold the cable to stop it twisting with the nuts.

3) Leave the old cable in place in order to follow its path with new cable.

Next

4) Remove plastic panel under the steering coloumn. You will need a Philips screwdriver and a small 10mm spanner or socket. You will also need a short scewdriver or a socket with a small philips screw head to get to the screw next to the door apeture.

5) Near the clutch pedal on the bulhead you wil find a soundproofing mat held on by little clips. Twist these clips anti clock wise either with a screw driver or even with your hand- leave the top ones on and just push the soundproofing out of the way.

6) remove the foam pad that you will find behind the soundproofing and you should be able to see the plastic head of the cable attached to the clutch pedal.

7) Undo the pedal (I couldnt do it any other way!) You will need a 5/8 socket and a spanner (yes its bloody imperial!). Remove the pedal from the clip at the end of the clutch cable

8) working from under the car pull the cable down and out of the bulkhead (under fuel filter). Undo clip attaching cable to subframe.

9) Follow the route of the old cable and do not attach anything at this stage except the subrame clip (loosley)

10)Assemble the rubber gromet on the new cable at the bulkhead side(Peugeot do not push these parts together for some reason). Put lots of fairy liquid on it and push the new cable into the bulkhead (dont bother to try to push it-its impossible).

11) Attach the cable to the pedal and re-attach pedal to clutch pedal housing.

12) Attach cable to gearbox side and tighten up nuts.

13) Ensure the gromet is square with the bulkead (can be diffiult to be due to the fuel lines) the tightening will force the gromet though the bulkhead- Check this is the case by looking from inside the drivers footwell to see the gromet has come through.

14) Re-assemble the car and adjust cable.

tagy

tbh I think it is one of those jobs, the first time will take you a while, but doing it again will be much quicker. Deffo woth doing if your pedal is heavy tho'

I used a clutch cable from GSF, and it fitted perfect. I didn't jack the car up either.

I also didn't undo the pedal, the white block will come off and go back on again with some effort.

Edited by tagy

Rob Thomson
7) Undo the pedal (I couldnt do it any other way!) You will need a 5/8 socket and a spanner (yes its bloody imperial!). Remove the pedal from the clip at the end of the clutch cable.

16mm fits just fine! :)

Gavtrials

i was about to say i used a normal mm socket to get the clutch pedal off.

Sy_

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this thread, as it slightly eased the burden of changing my cable last weekend (in the freezing road, snow, lying in a pool of greasy water) as the the Haynes manual, well the latest one anyway, is completely useless.

Cheers,

Sy

Oh, and no you don't need to jack the car up but a friend with ramps would certainly help...

pug_ham
Oh, and no you don't need to jack the car up but a friend with ramps would certainly help...
You don't need ramps, its fine with the car on its wheels & you can even leave the clutch pedal fitted.

First clutch cable I did was on the ground in a pub carpark with the clutch pedal fitted & it had the pin & clip end. Just work upside down in the drivers seat, easy. :wacko:

Graham.

pj838

Just done it and this guide is pretty helpful :) the pedal is def. smoother.. but the clutch still stiff.

Taking the pedal off is dead easy, I think I saved lots of fiddling about with the clip doing this, it just looked like one of those completely annoying little jobs.

The bit I worried most about was pushing the plastic clamp into place on the gearbox. Its awkward to reach because of the battery tray, and the old one shattered when I took it off, so be careful!

One question if anyone can help: with the cable removed, the clutch lever arm had around an inch and a half of play/travel in it... is this normal?

Cheers

Paul.

jackherer
One question if anyone can help: with the cable removed, the clutch lever arm had around an inch and a half of play/travel in it... is this normal?

yes :rolleyes:

pug205rally
Just done it and this guide is pretty helpful :rolleyes: the pedal is def. smoother.. but the clutch still stiff.

Taking the pedal off is dead easy, I think I saved lots of fiddling about with the clip doing this, it just looked like one of those completely annoying little jobs.

The bit I worried most about was pushing the plastic clamp into place on the gearbox. Its awkward to reach because of the battery tray, and the old one shattered when I took it off, so be careful!

Cheers

Paul.

Yes - Totally normal

Sorry there must be an echo - that'll teach me to hit refresh

Edited by pug205rally

pj838

Thanks guys thats one less pug issue off my mind :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this