• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Rob Turbo

Rear Beam Part Numbers

pj838
not sure if thats dead or not but ive got a standard anti roll bar kicking about from a diesel, your well to have it if needed. Its not as fat as the GTI one but its in good condition.

To me, it looks like the incorrect anti roll bar end has been fitted. I reckon those splines could be cleaned up and a correct end fitted.

Hmm I'll keep hold of it won't start using it as a crowbar just yet then :( . When I took the beam apart, one side was much worse than the other, the shaft was ground up, the outer bearing mashed, the torsion bar solid and the arb lever wobbly- the rear ride height was suspiciosly low too thats why I swapped the whole lot ;)

bearing5uc.th.jpg

cheers for the help

Wurzel

Again, difficult to tell from the piccy but you still have the outer bearings outer race fitted in the tube. Everything else would have mushed away as you say. Is the remaining metal solid for 360 degrees or is there a patch where there is a hole in it?

If you have a solid ring all around, then the tube is likely to be salvageable (needs the same both sides though).

The anti roll bar end plates have different sized splined sockets on them. One end will only go on one end but the larger socketed plate will slip over the smaller diameter end of the ARB. Occasionally it feels as if it's 'caught' and the splines have engaged. In reality, it's not doing anything and simply spinning. I would have expected the splined end to be completely smoothed off if they had corroded that badly.

pj838

Interesting. I'll get some more pics up next weekend as most of the bits are at my garage, I wonder if someone has swapped that side lever for a wrong-sided replacement at some point tho. :D

pj838

dsc005599ab.th.jpg

...ARB from the old beam is on the left, new s/h one is on the right. Both 'thin' ends of the ARBs are towards the camera.

The two old levers both have a notched ridge on them, while the s/h ones are plain. Do the notches mean anything?

The s/h one assembles OK:- is it right that as long as the levers are on the correct ends of the arb then it does not matter particularly which side (drivers or passenger) they end up on..?

dsc005585pv.th.jpg

Old lever from drivers side, will not fit over 'thick' end of arb, and grinds on 'thin' end, splines worn away inside it.

My tube looks to be in decent condition once the outer bearings were removed with no corrosion or pits on the insides. phew

As always, any thoughts appreciated :(

Wurzel

The bar ends will only fit properly on one end of the bar as you say. If the splined socket on the bar lever is nadged as the picture suggests, then it may have nackered the bar as well but as you have a second hand one now, that's irrelavent.

The notches do suggest which side the bar goes on the car. The three notches 120 degrees apart indicates the right hand side and the single notch the left.

I've never really paid much attention to this in the past and have had no repurcussions in handling etc.

pj838

Nice one, cheers. On with the (slow) rebuild! :(

Rik
dsc005599ab.th.jpg

...ARB from the old beam is on the left, new s/h one is on the right. Both 'thin' ends of the ARBs are towards the camera.

The two old levers both have a notched ridge on them, while the s/h ones are plain. Do the notches mean anything?

The s/h one assembles OK:- is it right that as long as the levers are on the correct ends of the arb then it does not matter particularly which side (drivers or passenger) they end up on..?

dsc005585pv.th.jpg

Old lever from drivers side, will not fit over 'thick' end of arb, and grinds on 'thin' end, splines worn away inside it.

My tube looks to be in decent condition once the outer bearings were removed with no corrosion or pits on the insides. phew

As always, any thoughts appreciated :P

Does anyone know the part number/price for the part on the second picture - its the ARB end caps?

Rik