• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dan9

Radio Aerial

dan9

Hi...

My roof-mounted 205 radio aerial doesn't work - the coax cable is probably broken somewhere. It also leaks water a bit, which is annoying.

I'm trying to remove it (it's a standard unit on a 1992 car), but the aerial base seems to just spin around!

Any clues on how to remove these aerials? I can't see any obvious fixings from on top or underneath...

Any help appreciated...

enzo

underneath the aerial behand the light there is a little metal thing which you have to pull off the fixing are under it i think. some1 tell me if im wrong.

gav

nick

Lever out the interior lights and undo the two crosshead screws holding the light trim on, with that out of the way you will be able to look up and see the base of the aerial with a single nut holding the cable to the aerial and the aerial to the roof.

Nick

keith

how do you get the interior light moudling off ? i'm going to replace mine with a ph1.5

lennox

how do you get the interior light moudling off ? i'm going to replace mine with a ph1.5

Remove the map light and then you should be able to see the two screws. map light should just pull out easily. once you have the unit out there should be a metal cap pull that off and there is an 8mm nut once that is loose the aerial should just pull out.

hope this helps :huh:

Edited by lennox

keith

Remove the map light and then you should be able to see the two screws. map light should just pull out easily. once you have the unit out there should be a metal cap pull that off and there is an 8mm nut once that is loose the aerial should just pull out.

hope this helps :huh:

yeh i know that B)

i mean the whole plastic part on the roof!

Dream Weaver

Theres a hidden screw underneath the interior light wiring. Remove the wires, then look up for the screw.

lennox

sorry if the first reply didnt help but with mine once i unclipped the sun visors and removed the two screws the plastic surroud came down. it is possible that there was ment to be a third screw but as mine didnt have one i wouldn't know.

Edited by lennox

feb

can the aerial (the metal bar only) be unscrewed from its base holder so you can fit a roof bar for example?

in my AX that was possible but in the 205 it looks like it's all one piece !

lennox

yes it can but mine was very tight

dan9

Thanks for the replies, but even with the interior light surround removed, I'm still scratching my head on how to remove the aerial mounting!

Here's a pic from inside the car: Aerial Mounting Pic

Any bright ideas? Doesn't seem to unscrew, and doesn't want to be levered off with a screwdriver...

(apologies in advance if i'm being particularly thick...)

lennox

what you are looking at is the metal cap pull this off (might be a bit awkward and distort but i wouldnt worry about it to much) with a pair of large grips or similar mine had rusted through so i destroyed it getting it down i dont think it really does anything anyway so i didnt bother trying to save it underneath this is a 8mm nut undo this and the aerial should now pull off. hope this helps. :):P:D

Edited by lennox

dan9

Brilliant - thanks for that - i'll attack it with a set of grips tomorrow morning! :)

keith

im gonna whip mine off tomorrow as im replacing it with one from an AX GT :)

lennox

let me know how it went

dan9

Managed to yank the cover off with some grips and a bit of brute force. Thin metal, but didn't appear to deform.

Have tightened the mounting (8mm socket) but not sure it has fixed the problem of poor radio reception. Must be a break in the coax somewhere (sounds unlikely) - I assume it runs along the windscreen on the driver's side? Lots of interior trim to remove...

Possibly checking out a cheap MOT failure GTi tomorrow... so a working aerial might be the least of my worries...

Thanks for tips everyone.

lennox

just a thaught but if you have had water leaking in then the aerial cable might have rusted (look for signs of rust where the connector goes on to the aerial base) this led to poor reception on my car thats why i replaced mine. that was lots of fun :ph34r: as to stopping the water from getting in i had to replace my aerial base as the rubber had gone hard and wouldnt seal.

good luck with getting your gti :lol:

lennox

- I assume it runs along the windscreen on the driver's side? Lots of interior trim to remove...

not really you only need to remove the lower cowling on drivers side and drop the headlining down a bit. i thaught you needed to remove the pillar trim but as it turns out you dont need to, the cable runs inside the pillar itself. tape the new cable to the old one and pull it through found it best to pull new cable down rather than up. :D

dan9

Thanks for all your advice lennox - you might be spot on with the rust suggestion. When I removed the aerial mounting cover the gearstick was showered with orange dust :D

Not had a chance to attempt a repair (wire brush?) or replacement yet - hopefully on saturday (i hate these dark evenings).

In other news it looks like my budget GTI project might happen - if the engine will run long enough to get the car across town...

lennox

quote:Not had a chance to attempt a repair (wire brush?) or replacement yet - hopefully on saturday (i hate these dark evenings).

quote:In other news it looks like my budget GTI project might happen - if the engine will run long enough to get the car across town...

you could try cleaning the connector with a wire brush might save a bit of money (always good thing this time of year). but if the wire inside the lead is gone this wouldnt make any difference and you would need to replace the cable. i just saved myself a bit of time and went and got a new cable.

Definatly know what you mean about the evenings darkness along with it being cold is not fun to be out working in.

good luck with the gti do you know what is wrong with her? :D

Edited by lennox

dan9

Finally I have use of my radio again!

Replaced the coax cable (thanks for the advice on the cable routing) and re-used the old connectors and old aerial, all cleaned up a bit with a wire brush.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I have to chase up this GTI - apparently the electrics pack up after a while - sounds like an alternator problem. 150k miles and some paperwork suggest new valve stem seals are required. Also the passenger door has a slight crease. Main problem is no MOT or tax.

Looks like the car has had paint at some point (it's a G plate in red, and not faded) and the rear spoiler is now body coloured.

A red 1.6 on a G plate with 15" pug wheels and 205gtidrivers stickers in the rear windows... I wonder if we can track down the previous (forum member) owner?

lennox

glad to hear you sorted your radio ;)

good luck with the gti excellent car!! :D:P:D

James_m

sorry to drag this up again, but im just fitting my new aerial and have come up against a stupid problem :ph34r: ive got all the plastic light fitting stuff off, got the metal cap and the last nut off, but theres a piece of plastic on the thread that goes up against the roof obviously to stop leaks(and it works! my aerial hasnt leaked) but i cant get the thing off! ive tried forcing it off with a pair of pliars but no luck so far :D reading through this thread i would guess other peoples cars dont have this? any tips to get it off?

James_m

panic over :ph34r: just pulled the bastard off with a bit of brute force :D

stutto
Replaced the coax cable (thanks for the advice on the cable routing)

How much cable do you need ie 2m, 5m?

I also have almost no radio reception and am looking to sort it out ASAP

Chris.

Sign in to follow this