• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bren_1.3

Split Rims

bren_1.3

Anything i should look out for when buying a second hand set of image split rims or just split rims in general? picked up a set off ebay for my dimma for a damn good price, u people may have seen them on ebay.

any info regarding this a real help as im driving a good 400 mile round trip to scotland and dont fancy coming home to discover upon close inspection that theyre destroyed.........................cheers.

mak

There can sometimes be problems with the rims deflating because the two sections arent sealed properly. If they do its just like having a slow release puncture. Simple fix as its normally through the holes for the bolts that hold the wheel together. Take the offending bolt out and whack some sealant on the little devil and hey presto problem solved.

They also tend to dent more easy if they're curbed.

Oh and one last thing, check tyre sizes if your not planning to put new ones on, some people have funny ideas about what tyres to fit as the front and rear wheels are different widths.

M3Evo

Think Image made the Dimma wheels didn't they? Assuming they did, any rim damage should be fairly easily and cheaply rectified as new rim sections don't cost all that much ;)

bren_1.3

okie dokie cheers guys.

image splits here i come. ;):DB)

mak

dimma made the original dimma wheels, and image copied them...

agree with M3Evo, I beat the rim damage out of mine with a hammer and block of wood, another easy fix ;)

symonpll

have you got the rims yet?

bren_1.3

will have them on saturday, if anyones interested theyre the billet centred type 9. 15" x 7", oh tyre sizes were 205/50.

heres the link to them Image Split rims.

M3Evo

Boo. Link doesn't work :)

Be interested to see billet wheels, are they the cross-spoke ones then?

dimmadan

The split rim bit cannot affect inflation as its not part of that section of the rim. The tyre does not sit within the spilt part of the alloy. It may just be a poor fitted tyre of you need to get the tyre sealed properly.

I have a problem with 3 of my split rims going flat slowly and thought the same. Tyre weld has partly fixed the problem but they need to be sealed properly, using a silicon sealant or similar.

M3Evo
The split rim bit cannot affect inflation as its not part of that section of the rim. The tyre does not sit within the spilt part of the alloy.

Aah. On the ones in the link there it can as the billet bit is in the centre (sandwiched between the rim sections).

Also, if they do have damaged rims, you should have no probs getting replacement rims sections from Image ;) Had a look at their pricelist the other day, the rim bits are really cheap! Ho how did I end up paying them £1850 for a set of wheels? :)

bren_1.3

cool i just went on the link myself!!!! lol.......

theyre awesome to look at, they were fine in the end, good tyres, not bent and as far as i can make out have no air leaks or punctures. the bolts could do with a good clean up though.

155 squid aint bad then is it! didnt think they were that expensive! :lol:

job well done. i love me new rims :);):D

dimmadan
Aah. On the ones in the link there it can as the billet bit is in the centre (sandwiched between the rim sections).

Also, if they do have damaged rims, you should have no probs getting replacement rims sections from Image ;) Had a look at their pricelist the other day, the rim bits are really cheap! Ho how did I end up paying them £1850 for a set of wheels? :)

What I was trying to say was the centre section can drop out with the tyre still on. This is certainly possible with the Dimma split rims, looks the same with these.

M3Evo

Fair enough. Certainly with the Image wheels, depending on the offset and rim width you need, they either sandwich the rim sections together and then put the centre on, as you describe. Or they put the centre between the rims (as on the ones I've got :) ). Think this is their preferred method as it makes the rim section a little bit stiffer, and also less likely to trap s*ite between the various bits.

m.i-man
dimma made the original dimma wheels, and image copied them...

agree with M3Evo, I beat the rim damage out of mine with a hammer and block of wood, another easy fix :)

That's what I thought. Mine are originals though and are stamped Compomotive, made in England.

M3Evo

Wow! Where'd this come from after almost 2 years?! :)

m.i-man
Wow! Where'd this come from after almost 2 years?! :o

:D

I was just searching through some old pages.... didn't check the date. :)

bren_1.3

lmao! thought i hadnt posted in general technical for a while! im a surprised as you are M3Evo.

M3Evo

Did you ever fit those splitties then? :blush:

Henry Yorke

Compomotive did make the Dimma Splits as well as all the other Dimma wheels. If you have a damaged rim, take it apart and look on the inner edges as there is a part number stamped on there. You can still by the rims but they are £100 each from when I phoned up. My brother may have some spares from the 309Mi16x4 he had (rims only, not centres)

bren_1.3

i did yes, but i broke the car up, and sold the shell to a freind as a tarmac rally car, sold the wheels on egay at a similair time, make a good £100 on what i originally paid for them.

the rims do bend quite easily though! had them repaired a couple of times!

Sign in to follow this