• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fiji bob

Ticking Noise From Engine/exhaust

fiji bob

what does a cracked manifold sound like? i went for a drive last night and you can hear a sharp ticking noise at light throttle openings with the engine under load it dissapears when you press harder on the accelerator it kind of sounds like the sparks arcing somewhere in the ignition but not sure if it is that, the manifold although a couple of years old wasnt used for about a year because i was using a ported one but i swapped back when i put the xu10 head on and i didnt spot any cracks when i checked it

pug_ham

It might not be cracked but the gaskets could be leaking, mine sounded like you describe until I took tthe manifold off & fitted some new genuine Pug gaskets. The edge of the manifold was burnt away where it had been blowing.;)

Graham.:)

j_turnell

It does sound like a cracked manifold to me, id take the air box off and have a good look.

Green Machine

what you described deffinatly sounds like exhaust leakage. as pugtorque said may be just the gaskets. if youve got a garage put the car in and start it up. with a bit of tissue paper gently dangle it around each port. this will then blow on the paper at the leaking point. a crude but efective way of tracing the leak

tom_m

yeah sounds the same as when my gaskets where leaking

fiji bob

bloody hell they were new pug gaskets as well, is there a recommended torque value for the manifold nuts?

pug_ham

Haynes says 15lbft, which is nothing but when I did mine recently I just did them nice & tight, so far so good.

The gaskets I got from Pug seemed much better than the ones I had fitted from the engine rebuild gasket kit I had.

fiji bob

they were genuine gaskets, i might as well try tightening them again in case ones come loose

Nick C

Might just be tappets and/or injectors. Manifold crack would get louder with load.

Nick

fiji bob

its definitely a new sound so not injectors or tappets

Edp
It might not be cracked but the gaskets could be leaking, mine sounded like you describe until I took tthe manifold off & fitted some new genuine Pug gaskets. The edge of the manifold was burnt away where it had been blowing.;)

Exactly what happened to me, i reckon this is your problem. . .

fiji bob
:( definitely not the manifold or downpipe, i took the whole exhaust off and checked it over im using a different manifold with new gaskets and it sounds exactly the same

fiji bob

ffs it never ends does it? looks like the cars developed a new fault i was driving home earlier when the engine lost power as if it had been switched off and just stalled when i put the clutch in :angry: it just cranked over and wouldnt fire back up for about 5 minutes but then drove fine all the way back for another 20mins or so :(

joelpsmith

Did you ever find out what the problem was, i have the same symptoms but cant work it out?

fiji bob

no still dont know im going to try sealing the manifold/downpipe joint temporarily to see if the noise dissapears, one thing i did notice is that the inside of the manifold and downpipe had whiteish deposits and the two halves of the downpipe looked unusually clean so maybe its just that the car is running lean and not sounding healthy because of it?

wildejon

Hi mate,

Did you ever sort out this problem? Mine is doing the exact same thing, just replaced the whole system and gaskets and its still doing it (mainly while cold)! It is not as bad as it was though... any help anyone?!

I'm going to try tightening the manifold nuts more but they are blummin' tight already!

Cheers!

pugrallye

sticky valve by sound of it

wildejon

REALLY hope not, just put a sbc 1.9 in about 2 weeks ago...!

AFAIK, it wasn't doing it when it was in the other car... I'll find out. :unsure:

fiji bob

must have sorted the problem originally (cant for the life of me remember what it was) but the car makes a ticking noise at low revs as you pull away, i reckon its the o ring on the manifold probably caused by worn engine mounts

wildejon

Deffo wasn't doing it in the other car... just in mine.

Just replaced all the exhaust gaskets (again) and it was better once the manifold gaskets were replaced. Still not 100% right when its cold or at low revs when the engine is pushed a bit but lots better. I'll keep an eye/ear on it and see if it gets worse like it did last time :D

ALEX

it could be an ignition fault. the noise could be a cracked HT lead arcing somewhere.

richard

I'd also say check the inlet manifold. The gasket had perished on the 1.6 with cyclinder 3 and that sounded really tappety.

That was after we'd already taken off the manifold, the exhaust gaskets etc.

Revla
I'd also say check the inlet manifold. The gasket had perished on the 1.6 with cyclinder 3 and that sounded really tappety.

That was after we'd already taken off the manifold, the exhaust gaskets etc.

They are only around 8 months old........so doubtful.

Its definately from the back of the bay...... mything me!!

richard

Easy way to check,

Spray some carb cleaner around the inlet manifold when the engines running...if the revs change and/or the ticking goes..theres your leak...or one of them

wildejon

Showing my naivety here but what will the carb cleaner do? Just seal up the leak for a bit or something? It deffo sounds like its coming from the exhaust...

Cheers for the advice ;)

Sign in to follow this