• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
base-1

Vacuum Advance

base-1

hopefully this is a fairly simple one.....

the vacuum advance on my dizzy isnt connected to anything, so im running full advance all the time. if T the connection into the servo vac feed will i need to do any adjustments? i could do with the better part throttle mpg that i will aparently gain from having it connected!

cheers peoples

rich

jez205

Dont know what it will be like using the servo vacuum take off but when I did it on a mates car i drilled a new take off in to one of the inlet manifold ports then connected it to the dizzy via a 1 foot length of coiled copper tube with an internal diameter of 1mm, this removes the pulsing effect and worked very well, the cars a lot smoother now and picks up better.

Jez

base-1

id rather not tap the manifold again (had to for the servo feed) esp cos that would mean i needed to remove the carbs again, which is hassle i can do without

will it not work ok from the same feed?

Guest chaza11

Rich, how stiff is your throttle? Got the carbs on teh other night and up to half throttle i can hardly move it!!

Did you set yours up or was it RR'd?

base-1

my throttle is stupidly stiff compared to how it was on the 8v charlie, you get used to it though - on low speeds round town when im using barely any revs is the only time it might be a tad jerky

got mine setup by 2 different places now :rolleyes: one day they might be spot-on lol

Guest chaza11

Think its the stupid spring on the linkage we have! Its a Ho!

Gonna order the Proper under mount linkage.

Think I might have an air leak as the revs rise to like 4grand and stay there unless you lean it right out. Manifold is tight so i can only think the carbs may be loose on that, even though they dont move and the O-rings seem to make a seal.

Gettin it off to John Reid ASAP tho. Hopefully he can sort it out! :S

Guest ashnicholls

can it simply run off the hole in the carb manifold then?

cheers

PsychoSimon

It will pulse, which within 50-100 miles will wreck the diaphram in your vacuum advance. The nova sport, which came with twin 40's as standard had a takeoff from one carb for the vacuum advance, then from the other carb the servo was taken off. The feed was actually from both chokes of the carb so the pulsing effect was cancelled out.

Basically you need to find eith a damper of some sort, or tap into two inlet tracts

Guest ashnicholls

what if i use the two holes in the inlet manifold and join with a Y piece, then run a small T off the pipe, that is the combination of the two to the vacuum advance?

will that work?

cheers

Have you got pics of where this take off point on the webers are, i dont know whether mine will have a take off point, as mine are old webers, off a Talbot Sunbeam.

Guest ashnicholls
Dont know what it will be like using the servo vacuum take off but when I did it on a mates car i drilled a new take off in to one of the inlet manifold ports then connected it to the dizzy via a 1 foot length of coiled copper tube with an internal diameter of 1mm, this removes the pulsing effect and worked very well, the cars a lot smoother now and picks up better.

Jez

how does coiling the tube take removing the pulsing effect?

and where do you get 1mm internal diameter pipe from?

cheers

PsychoSimon

that would work if the two holes were on different runners, ie if your taking two feeds from the same runner then its the same as just using one.

I will try and find a photo of nova sport carbs, but the takeoffs are noticeable, and IIRC the carbs were a special made for vauxhall

Guest ashnicholls

i appear to have the vacuum take off point on mine also called the progression hole inspection cover??????

Longun

Just to dig up and old thread. Did anyone do this? If so where did you connect it? I'm also after a few more mpgs.

Cheers

Guest ashnicholls

I got a set of DCOMs, that has a perfect vacuum take off point to suit the vacuum advance, and fit a Mi/Diesel 5th Gear,

I was getting 32MPG with mine.

Richie-Van-GTi

something Ive been thinking about the last few days as Im stuck on full advance as well but with bike carbs, will I need to feed from all 4 inlets? is the pulse. Does the feed need to be between the butterfly and head or butterfly and filter? I always assumed it was the latter as surely the vac drops when butterfly opens if it was between butterfly and head?

Guest ashnicholls

you just want it between a couple, and yes between valve and butterfly.

but i ran my car on 1 inlet for about 1k miles and did no damage, everyone told me the "pulse" would kill the vacuum advance after a few miles.

So dont know if its just folk law, as my brakes worked fine off just one inlet.

Longun

Ash I've got a location on my manifold as can be seen in the pic. Is this the same as you used? The one for the brakes is on the left so this one should do nice :)

va.jpg

Can anyone confim if this would be damage the diaphram?

Also does the ignition need to be changed once connected?

Thanks

Sign in to follow this