• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

Ideal Track Setup

Jonmurgie

Right, have booked myself in for the first trackday in the 205 and want to get the car up to scratch :D

Have decided to splash out on some decent stuff and want anyone's opinions/recommendations on the following:

1. Ideal Suspension Setup

2. Ideal Brake Setup

Car is going to be driven to and from the trackdays but I'm not that bothered about the ride quality on the normal road (my Evo is utterly horrible on the road, but really shines on the track).

Would appreciate opinions on certain budgets as well, like:

a ) £200-£300

b ) £300-£500

c ) £500+

I had originally thought of just going for the Bilstein Streetline kit and some ATE front discs with 1144 pads.... would be about £250 for that lot, but wonder if I spent a bit more would I get much better stuff/setup?

So, hit me with ideas!!!

Cheers

Jon

Adi
1. Ideal Suspension Setup

That really depends on how much you want to spend. The more you spend on dampers, the more benefit you will certainly see on the track.

The least I would suggest is the Bilstein Sprintline kit rather than the Streetline kit.

It will cost more.....but will perform better. You could also do with uprating the rear anti roll bar and rear torsion bars. The rear arb would be the one to do first. Also uprate the bushes all round. A strut brace would also be of benefit.

Again a lot really depends on how far you want to go and the money available. The parts mentioned above will be more than £500.

The brakes I would suggest the GTI-6 set up but using the thicker 307 discs. CW is doing this at present so maybe he will be better to advise you on this one. There is a similar thread around at the mo about the brake set up.

C_W

If you can, I would suggest getting a GTi6 setup with the proper calipers. It will probably mean changing the master cylinder for a larger one though. Advantages of this setup is cheap discs at less than £20 each.

Big brake kits using standard calipers are a bit awkward for replacing discs (unless you don't mind paying £50+vat each for a plain disc). Or you can modify other discs to fit, but it's never going to be as easy as if you have a gti6 setup to start with.

smckeown

If its a dedicated track day car then use 1155 pads rather than 1144, they will cope better under heat.

I might have for sale a pair of 21mm torsion bars and a 23mm rear ARB, they will make a massive difference to your car on the track

sean

Jonmurgie

smckeown - you have a PM :)

Thanks for the adivce so far guys... looks like the GTi-6 brake setup is the way to go.. anywhere in particular to pick up the parts needed?

So far I've only bee suggested the Bilsten Streetline and Sportline kits suspension wise... any other suggestions?

Cheers

Jon

Sam

I have a 306 gti-6 master cylinder/reservoir and servo for sale if its any use

Alan_M

You may want to get shorter stroke springs if using the SPRINTLINE dampers.

The dampers apparently suit a 40mm drop on a GTi, which is a bit too much for my liking especially to keep road driving OK.

Would probably suit the track i'd imagine.

Might be wise to get stiffer mounts as well, maybe Grp N.

What sort of condition is your rear beam in?

Edited by Alan_M

pug_ham
looks like the GTi-6 brake setup is the way to go.. anywhere in particular to pick up the parts needed?

GTi-6 brakes group buy topic. This is looking to go ahead in the not to distant future so I'm sure Dino wouldn't mind another person wanting a set.

Graham.:)

Jonmurgie

Rallye - you have PM :)

Alan_M - So does the Sprintline kit come with only like 25mm springs or something then? Where would I get the shorter springs from?

Also, I've no idea what the rear beam condition is like... is there a good way to check? What am I looking for?

If I get the uprated 21mm Torsion Bars and the 23mm Anti Roll Bars would the condition of the rear beam have an effect on the improvement they would give?

And finally - where's the cheapest place to get the Bilstein kit from?

Cheers

Jon

DrSeuss

www.eurocarparts.com are usually around about the cheapest for bilstein suspension. Your rear beam may need the bearings replaced which is a time consuming job. Do a search for rear beam and it'll explain everything there is to know about the rear beam.

Sam

A rebuilt beam would go nicely with those bars and if you are handy with the spanners its not too bad to do, else Perfecto Pug off here can do it at a good price and has done many before :)

If your beam is knackered and you fit them you will still notice a change but a rebuilt beam will be ten times better :lol:

NickR

Skip Brown Phase 1, about £500 is great (the best IMHO) on the track on road tyres.

If your planning on running slicks then something stiffer might be worthwhile.

PS I run Skip Brown, Phase 1 and Phase 2 plus LSD, total cost £2000, best fast road/trackday setup. Anyone who has sampled it will know its great.

Adi

A Sprintline kit for most cars come with -40mm springs. But as the std 205GTI is lower anyway.....then the Sprintline kit for the 205Gti comes with -25mm springs.

Try www.motorsportworld.co.uk and compare their prices with Eurocar Parts.

Jonmurgie

NickR - That sounds interesting... who the hell is Skip Brown though? Never heard of him/them! DO they have a website or anything?

Cheers

Jon

Batfink

they are one of the best pug tuners around. They dont have a website

Simmy

always thinkm it s a tad silly that one of the best pug tuners around doesn;t have a website??? :)

Jonmurgie

Totally agree... cause I'm a web freak I'd prefer to read up about their Phase 1 etc. online to save bothering them on the phone!!

Anyway, anyone got a contact number for them...?

Or does anyone know what their Suspension pacakages actually include?

NickR
always thinkm it s a tad silly that one of the best pug tuners around doesn;t have a website??? :)

Word of mouth seems good enough for them to promote themselves.

No point having a website, when everyone wants something different, they dont just bolt off the shelf stuff on that you can pick from a pricelist (well mostly :lol:).

NickR
Totally agree... cause I'm a web freak I'd prefer to read up about their Phase 1 etc. online to save bothering them on the phone!!

Anyway, anyone got a contact number for them...?

Or does anyone know what their Suspension pacakages actually include?

Skip Brown Cars is located in Cheshire, number 01829 720492

Skip Brown Cars phase 1 - revalved Bilstein shocks, -25mm dual rate front springs and rear torsion bars adjusted to suit front ride height.

Skip Brown Cars phase 2 - uprated torsion bars, uprated rear anti-roll bar and rear negative camber suspension kit.

The LSD is a quaife ATB item.

huxley309

cant fault the phase1 billies.....my 309 is the only one that i know of that has them and believe me they're worth the exra...

just need an lsd mind

Sign in to follow this