• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wurzel

Front Wishbone Bushes

Wurzel

Has anyone here actually pressed out and refitted new bushes to the front wishbones on a Gti? If you have, how EXACTLY did you do it?

I've know the theory but need to know what sort of kit/sizes was used so I can get it all together for a weekend of bush renewal.

Lastly, if a press was used, how did you manage to get the old ones out if they have a lip on them that appears to make fitting easy but removal a real s*it?

Ta

Pugnut

i used a press . removed by pressing out the rubber . a couple took the metal sleeve with them (the whole bush). the ones that left the metal in i just put the hacksaw blade inside the hole and cut it till it was almost through then brayed it with a punch so it colapsed and fell out . using a press its a real piece of piss to refit new ones .

Wurzel

Thanks for the info. Due to the shape of the wishbone, did you press the bushes 'from the outside in' if that makes sense? Looking at the shape of the bush on the parts cd, it looks to have a lip on one side preventing the bushes being pressed in too far. Is this just rubber though that can be pressed in against its wishes.

I must go and look at the 309 wishbones in my lockup which will explain all but can't be bothered getting dressed just yet.

post-13-1077356444.jpg

Edited by Big Nick

cybernck

can ball joints be replaced like that?

B1ack_Mi16

No, it's not possible to change the balljoint, so is that's the case you need a complete withbone.

Reminds me, I have to get new balljoint for the 405 <_<

Guest ollysmith

i didn't use a press.. burnt the rubber bits out with a blowtorch (leaving the metal sleeve behind), cleaned up the outer edges with a file and ran a run of weld with a mig around each then used a wheel bolt as a drift and hammered it out. I was replacing them with superflex ones, which have no metal outer, so they went straight in no problems.

Wurzel

Burning the rubber out seems like an idea. Did it take long using your run of the mill blowtorch?

The metal sleeve that is left, does it have a lip on it or is it simply a plain cylinder pressed in to the wishbone?

Thanks for the help.

Sign in to follow this