• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest nutter10000

Smoking Xs

Guest nutter10000

Just a Small Question for ya all!

Recently Purchased a mint 205 XS with just 58k

Only Concern is It Smokes sometimes and then other times it dosn't....

Start it up from cold and sometimes it smokes & sometimes it dosn't. Same goes when its warm! The Oils Clean (Golden) and Coolant also!

Whats stranger is that it revs extremely clean and has plenty of compression!!

Just Wondering would this be Valve Stem Seals?? If so is their much hassle involved?? and how much would i be looking at for a garage to undertake the work?

Im thinking it may just need a good run! is this possible? Haven't had chance yet as its not taxed or insured! :D

jacobs53

what colour is the smoke?

lee

jj205

Sounds like a good buy, Like Lee said we need to know the colour of the smoke, it may be just steam. Have you done a compression test on it, the screw in spark plug type, thats the best easiest way of seeing what condition the bottem end is in.

At a guess though persuming your seeeing blue smoke, im 90% sure its your valve stem oil seals, as its done very little miles, and persuming its got service history, or lets say its been looked after properly ( oil changes etc) and the miles are correct and its not beeen driven hard.

It seems like all engines im guessing yours is around 10-12 years old, seem to have perished valve stem seals with lower miles at around 10 years old or more, i dont know if its just me or do you all notice this. There only bits of rubber and over time they perish, turn hard and crack instead of being rubbery and flexible. Ive heard a car that sits around a lot and is not driven much so doing small milages over lets say ten years, allows petrol and oil to attack the rubber more than in normal everyday use.

The job is really straight forward i found. It all depends on how much mechanical knowledge you have really, tools and time. The haynes has a really good guide on how to do it. Its only 30 something quid for the gasket set from GSF, thats every gasket you need for the head including the stem seals.

Id guess a garage would be charging aroung 100-200 quid, but i never been to one ywet for any repairs, just go off what people say, but i may be wrong. If your reasonably confident you should have it done in a weekend, providing you have all the tools and the parts, and all goes to plan.

Hope this helps a bit

Jonathan :D

Edited by jj205

Lee_GiT

mine smokes REALLY bad on start up...

anything to worry about???

thanks lee

Lee_GiT

white smoke btw

j_turnell

Nah mate nothing to worry about really white smoke will normally be condensation on start up if its stem seals it will be blue smoke mate.

Gary

This worked for my misses :D .

nicorette_patch_1_15mg_2.jpg

Ted

boom boom

:D

Lee_GiT

PMSL!

thanks lee

Guest nutter10000

Sorry I aint Replied earlier!! What a great computer I have...

Cheerz for all the replies anyway!

Finally got round to swap insurance and Tax it yesterday!

Seems to be smoking a lot less after giving a good run...

The last owner looked like he was about 110 lol, so probably has'nt been revved over 1500 rpm for the last 10 Years!!! :D

Dosn't smoke at all when warm but still smokes a lot when cold with a hint of blue me thinks... Not bad for 16 yrs old though I guess!

My local garage quoted me £120 to do the stem seals, so not that bad!!

Might have a crack myself though on the weekend!

Thanks again and can't fault the website!!!!

Matt Slater

Guest nutter10000

Will Get Pics as Soon as Pos!

Gotta Steal my Sisters Digi Cam first though....

It's a completely standard 205 xs 1988 E Reg In silver with original stereo and spare... Lol & just 58k of course... I Can't belive how clean it is in the engine bay - It's like brand new! Especially compared to what my AX GT 500's engine bay was like before I started rebuilding it...

Thinking of making a road rally car out of it!!!

My M8 done the same 2 his & it was a monster.....

jacobs53

do you know what engine is fitted to it? as the xs you have is on the swap over from the XY8 engine to the Tu3 engine

If you have the XY8 engine quickly bite the mans hand off who said 120 quid to do the seam seals.

cheers Lee

Guest nutter10000

Nah its the TU3s Engine - Same as in my Ax,

More Problems Now though....

Driving it last nite once warm the car was under Load going up hill and a car started flashing me from behind!!

Had a look in my Mirrors and it woz spitting bits of smoldering ash out of the exhaust!!

Whey - Sounds Like a good purchase eh!

I'm just wondering whether this is just carbon deposits because I woz revving it quite hard unlike the old owner it seems.... Is the engine just clogged up and trying to clear itself through! Might stick sum of that fuel treatment in it later, see if it helps! :)

jacobs53

could be just carbon build up, my ax did that for a bit as the last owner looked like a crow.

give it a month at least.

cheers lee

Guest nutter10000

Cheerz Lee...

I Bloody Hope so!!!!

Is it worth giving it a service engine oil and filter etc... Maybee use a can of Wyns Engine Flush or not worth it as the oil is so clean!

Is their a good De Cokeing additive i can buy???

Cheerz For the Help

Matt Slater

j_turnell

Yeah id give it a good service mate oil, filters, plugs, leads and id use some redex that might help clear things out a bit. cheers, James.

timmsy19

sorry for the thread highjack but just seems the right time to ask as the idea of engine flush has come up.

i need to do a filter and oil change soon. so im wondering if i should use some engine flush to get the crap out of my engine.

ive just been reading some old topic's i searched for on engine flush. Mostly about XU engines and they dont recomend this stuff. my dad used to work for wynns many moons ago when i was a wee nipper and he still swears by the stuff. is it really worth it or shall we just use some cheap oil and flush it tru??????

Anyways back on topic.......i used some redex the other week and my Tu9 seems to run fine now. petrol seems to last longer than before. still got to do an oil change tho

Sign in to follow this