• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wurzel

Rear Stub Axle

Wurzel

Yep, icy roads, no grit, back end slides out and twats the curb. Mangaed to snap the rear disc brake in two and quite obviously bent the stub shaft. :angry:

I've done a quick search to find out about removal but just want to confirm.

I have removed the hub from the shaft so now what? There is an allen key socket on the back of the pin which is pretty useless as it appears to snapped off a circlular section about 3 to 4mm thick from the shaft on the inside of the trailing arm.

Is it a case of twatting the threaded end of the shaft to force it in to the centre of the car or do I need to unscrew it somehow?? Hopefully brute force with the lump hammer will suffice as I definately won't be able to unscrew it.

Any help needed as I really need the car soon. Also, are the pins still available from Pug dealers or only from Peugeot sport??

Thanks

Batfink

the allen key bit I think was a joke by the french. IT does nothing! Bash teh feck out of the stub axle from the threaded end and it will pop out eventually

Wurzel

Cheers for that Batfink. I like the idea of large hammers. Not the Pugs fault of course but it's going to be good to vent some anger (topped off a really bad day).

Any ideas where I can get a 1.9 stub axle from though? I've heard Pug dealers don't sell them anymore :angry:

A glimmer of light was that Pugsport do, can anyone confirm this??

Cheers

fiji bob

i thought pug dealers do them for £55 each not that ive actually asked though

Wurzel

Fijibob, I think you may be thinking of the rear trailing arm shaft. The shaft is pressed into the arm and fits into the cross tube (usually worn out when rear beam bearings go tits up).

I have cleverly bent the small stub axle where the rear wheel hub and bearing sit.

If I've got that all wrong and you are talking about the stub axle, then please tell me to stow my tits.

pug_ham

Thats the way to get them out, big hammer & repeated smacking on the threaded end of the stub axle until it pops out. The allen key is for use when torqueing the new one in in case it turns, it needs torqueing to 250lbft to seat it in properly iirc & then loosening of & doing up to 160lbft for the wheel bearing.

If you hit hard enough to snap the disc & bend the stub axle you might have been unlucky enough to bend the radius arm as well, Gaz hit a curb in his recently & snapped the radius arm off, if you have a spare it mightbe worthwhile fitting that for safety so you don't end up with a new handling quirk from it.

The stub axle's are only available from Peugeotsport iirc from when gerlewislewis bent his last year sometime & had to get a new one.

Graham.:angry:

Wurzel

I am a bit concerned about the state of the rear arm. Quick checks with tape measures and spirit levels don't show up any differences but that doesn't mean it's A OK.

I'll have a better look today to see if it has cracked at all. I do have a spare arm (from my 309 axle project) but it needs a new shaft.

It does look like the stub shaft took most of the force though. I think it's going to be a bitch to knock out as it looks like a nail would if you used a claw hammer to pull it out (from the wheel side). I believe there is a lip on the back of the pin (where the allen key socket is) that prevents you from pulling the pin all the way through? Well that has been sheared off almost completely.

Typical really as I only use the car as a play thing at weekends normally. Just so happens I'm visiting relatives in a couple of weeks and don't have much time to fix it in between now and then.

As long as I can get the bugger out, I'll be alright.

Got the missus ordering parts today :angry:

pug_ham

If you need a hand Nick, drop me a pm & I'll come over to help out.

Graham.:angry:

Wurzel

Thanks for the offer Graham.

rear-stub-pin1.jpg

rear-disc-broken1.jpg

This is the damage I caused. Bits are on order from GSF. The missus tried one so called Pug dealer in Ripon for the stub axle. She was told that they don't do PSOOC discount and the p&p would be £12 plus vat :angry: Told them to do one and will now be going to a very helpful dealer in Knaresborough who I know offers discount and won't charge the p&p.

The guy sort of came alive when I mentioned the Pug sport catalogue. We spent quite a while talking about the ins and outs of 205's (couldn't be arsed myself but had to look interested really). I guess it was a bit more interesting than the normal oil filter or cam belt.

A good inspection of the arm this afternoon hasn't shown any problems. Magnifying glass and bright light didn't show any cracks. Stuffed an endoscope into the arb end plate bolt hole and had a shufty around. I'm quite confident that the arm is not damaged.

The stub pin came out suprisingly easy. A few well aimed, non sissy, blows with the lump hammer did the job in seconds.

Graham I've PM'd you mate.

Bally

Well it looks really bad mate, but not to cause you anymore worry, but the same thing happened to my mate and the pin was not that badly bent and the disc was not broken and after we changed the pin, we realised the arm was bent. Never could see where it was bent, but changed it and the wheel came back straight.

Wurzel

I think I'll be getting my other beam arms refurbed soon ready to fit just in case.

I haven't OK'd the rear arm just yet but I've got to try I suppose.

Hopefully find out one way or the other next week.

Fingers crossed.

Guest Roland_rat

are the rear arms difficult to swap??

or does it mean you need to rebuild part of the beam

pug_ham

To change the radius arm you need to strip one side of the rear beam down & rebuild it with a new arm.

Graham.:o

Sign in to follow this