• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

8v Vs 16v Power/torque Comparison

Batfink

But I think people would rather jump on the internet mechanic bandwagon and dream of dry sump kits as solid lifters are engine internals and so too much hard work to fathom :o "ITS THE ONLY CURE!!!" lol

Guest Cartooner

Thinking the oil-surge is caused by the hydraulic lifters that take up too much oil is pure nonsense. The cure would be as simple as too just measure oil level when the engine is warm(lifters and galleries filled) and then fill up to the max. Keeping the oil-level to the max will help but will not cure the problem, as solid lifters won't either.

The hole should not be drilled in the head but in the block. Add to that the 26t pump sprocket and splash-shield from the XU10J4, baffled sump, 8 bar spring and a healthy oillevel and You have a 50 pond solution.

mos
petert

i am not being thick honest!

but did you mean that dizzy and carbs would work well or that this is a bad idea and i should use mapped ignition

also i take it that all though the 16v inlet manifold is interchangable with all the various 16v engines that my current 8v manifold with have to be replaced

the sleeve thats been mentioned for the exhaust what is this and where would i get one

everyone,

i have been having a hunt around this afternoon for an engine but i cant find any mi16,s16 or gti6 engine anywhere in the manchester area.

anyone any idea where i could source one and what sort of money i am looking at?

no one any idea?

Sandy
Thinking the oil-surge is caused by the hydraulic lifters that take up too much oil is pure nonsense. The cure would be as simple as too just measure oil level when the engine is warm(lifters and galleries filled) and then fill up to the max. Keeping the oil-level to the max will help but will not cure the problem, as solid lifters won't either.

The hole should not be drilled in the head but in the block. Add to that the 26t pump sprocket and splash-shield from the XU10J4, baffled sump, 8 bar spring and a healthy oillevel and You have a 50 pond solution.

It's not the pressure, rather the volume of oil that ends up in the head. Oil streaming out of the hydralic lifters as they idle. With solid lifters, you can restrict oil flow to the head, so proportionately more of the oil pumped goes free in the bottom end and returns to the sump faster and more reliably.

Henry Yorke
no one any idea?

have a look for a Xsara VTS (I believe) as they have a similar engine to the GTI-6.

However on the www.PSOOC.com forum there is a lad called dhalliwell who has been modding and tuning peugeots for years and knows pretty much all the breakers in the North West so will be able to find you one..... infact I think he had an S16 engine for sale too!!

petert

mos

carbs and a dizzy is a backward step for the S16. It has a different thermostat housing, which has an integrated cam position sensor. It was designed for sequential injection and direct fire ignition. In addition, mapped ignition gives a far superior torque curve, than what can be achieved with the linear progression of a dizzy.

Your current 8V manifold is totally incompatible with a 16V head.

I sell aluminium tapered wedges for the exhaust. QEP sells steel versions. They're unnecessary for a 2L engine.

I've sold three pump extensions to members of this forum recently. I'll be keen to hear of their experiences once fitted and driven in anger.

mos

hi petert

i am not deliberately trying to be stupid but are you advising that if i source a s16 i run it with out both the carbs and the dizzy or i still use the carbs with the existing s16 management (will this even work with out the injection side of the system in place)

as to the exhaust, your aluminium tapered wedges, how does this actually mate up with the exhaust system i current have?

sorry to be a pain i really appreciate the help you and everyone else is providing me, this is not something i would have undertaken normally without the backup/advice i am receiving here

thanks guys

smckeown

mos - i'd use the search function mate, so much of what you are asking has been covered time and time again. There are oddles and oddles of good discussions about this kind of stuff

Sean

James_R

Petert - I have 2 of the extensions here, will be sorting them on to engine in the next couple of months, so will report back after the next coombe action day as to how effective they are.

mos

thanks to henry's tip off i ahve source virtually everything i am going to need from a guy over on the psooc forum

just a case of getting all together and cracking on with it now

i am going to be using an s16 engine and management to do the ignition and carbs.

once its up and running with a gas flowed head, hotter cams i will probably invest in a 2d ingition system.

one question though are the valve guides normally shot on a 80k 16v engine,i read in a search they tend to last longer on the 16v than the 8v but how much longer is typical?

if they are going to be shot by say 100k i will do them now but if there usually good for 150k i may chance it and leave them in.

thanks

ANDYGON

mos it depends on your budget really. ive currently got a 80k engine fitted and it doesnt smoke. My previous car was on 120k that didnt smoke at all either.

saying that your putting hotter cams in so just d it then.

Dream Weaver

I've always enjoyed my Mi, both in std and now modded form, never had an issue with low down torque/drivability over the 8v, and that's running a 1.9 box.

Are you North or South Manchester mos?

mos

hi,

i live in north west manchester place called swinton dreamweaver

really looking forward to the conversion been a couple of years since i was involved in anything like this

definately got the bug again!

i am intending on fitting the s16 engine with my 1.6 gti gearbox with quaiffe atb (so it does not explode the standard diff!) and as i want petert to still talk to me i will be running the s16 management with my carbs at first and then once its up and running move over to 2d management. after speaking to someone over on the psooc forum i believe 2d managment is not as expensive as i first though £250-350 rather than the £1000 i had in my head. i would go over to full 3d and throttle bodies but i do not think the budget will stretch that far and i am not sure that 3d and throttle bodies over 2d and carbs that i already own is justifiable on a road car, any thoughs on this anyone.

i am assuming the s16 management will work with all the injection components disconnected, i have been advised it will but has anyone actually tried it?

additionally exhaust wise i am not sure which way to jump

i have the full magnex and manifold and the adapter plates (wedges) have been mentioned as a way to use this on my s16 engine, but with it clear the bulk head using a 205 magnex manifold on a s16 engine in a 205?

or i could use the s16 manifold with either a 205 front downpipe, will it fit to the s16 manifold?

or i could use the s16 manifold with a s16 down pipe and somehow mate this to my existing mangnex center pipe

i am not sure though if the standard s16 stuff is up to running a gasflowed head with hotter cams running carbs though

anyone ideas anyone?

all help gratefully excepted

Edited by mos

Dream Weaver

I'm near Burnley, so not too far from you. :rolleyes:

You considered Megasquirt DIY ECU and bike bodies?

Sign in to follow this