• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simmy

Cut Slick Comparisons...

Simmy

Firstly what i want to ask is do you notice a significant imrpovement using cutslicks over normal road tyres when driving hard (in the dry)

I thought the answer would obviously be yes but knowing some of the cheaper cutslicks (e.g. colways) are remoulds and remoulds generally speaking won't match up to newly moulded tyres.

Close comparisons i've found for budget cut slicks:

Maxsport Tyres : RB5 F2 Moulded Slick (around £45 each)

Maxsport Tyres : RB4 Tarmac Intermediate (around £42 each)

Silverstone Tyres : Tarmac : 15" Tarmac (a bit more at £95 each)

MRF : MRF Tarmac (again a bit more than the majority @ £76 each)

Colway Competition Remoulds : Formula 2 Moulded Slick Tarmac Rally (around £50 each)

Indy Sport Competition Remoulds : TR Pattern (£47)

Could i ask anyone with any experience with cut slicks for their opinion and what slicks they were. (perferably not "i managed to get hold of some ex touring car..." but tyres that can be bought form a retailer)

I've heard colways to be the market leaders in budget cut slicks but is this down to sales figures or performance?? I'll deffo be gettin a set soon but duno whether to go for colway remoulds or the less known name (like Maxsport) for their new moulds (well i assume they're new molds) any help deeply appreciated and please excuse the long post :rolleyes:

Cheers lads!

Edited by Simmy

Guest Pete Faulkner

I'm waiting to see people's responses as i need to get s set of track tyres this year too. not sure whether to get cut slicks or inters as some trackdays won't allow slicks, so you could get turned away with cut slicks if they're arsy. Maxsport and colway were my choices due to budget cost - maxsport do 195/50/15 too, which i prefer to the colway 185/55/15 profile.

surely some of you guys have used these tyres.....

Ross

I have a set of soft Maxsport RB5's which I brought for track use on my 205 last year.

Running at 29psi or above I found the steering was VERY light, and offered little feel. I sopke to Maxsport who advised dropping the presure. In the end I was running them at 22psi cold. This gave them a lot more feel, but I found that the car moved around a lot at the back, which got worse as the heat built up in the tire to the extent that it became un-nerving at times.

If it was me I would get a decent set of road tyres and get them scrubbed for track use only.

Ross

Simmy

Pete... surely if the cut slicks are road legal (which i believe most are) then there would be no reason at all for them to not be allowed at a track day?? I think Antoni1.9 has used the Colways around teh track... if he doesn't post i'll give him a bell n see what he says bout them.

I thought anthony had some on atm after his recent thread about mot's but he's yet to comment *knudge knudge*

Guest ste

I've no experience on the 205 but I used Dunlop Formula R D01J in 205/50/15 size on an e30 BMW on track. These were about £90 each direct from Dunlop and pressumably cheaper in a size for the 205.

They were incredible on track. The difference between them and even a very good road tyre on track is chalk and cheese. You have to be careful to not overinflate and overheat them though. You start at about 20psi cold and go from there. A tech bod at Yokohama told me that their A032Rs fall deteriorate at much over 30psi.

(Figures for the lardy BMW which probably heats them more than a 205)

Antoni1.9

Simmy,

Quite simply its all about money.

I posted before about these types of tyre.

The Yokohama AO38R's were simply stunning, but the front lft tyre failed after 40 mins (note - these were the LTS - lotus elise compound - the 205 was too heavy)

Grip / turn in was fantastic.

The Colways are OK, only immediate comment is that they are very heavy.

The Guys at colway C-Tech, seem to know their stuff and advise sticking to the 185/55. and having bought them, I would agree. They are very wide for a 185.

A guy came over to me at the last donnington track day, he was interested in teh colways because he had been running on maxsports and was not impressed.

Overall - the colways are OK, but cannot compete with the "proper" japanese cut slicks - but then I cant afford them !!.

As I said before, come Over and have a look. The car is not at my house anymore, but I have my spare wheel with a colway in the garage, and I also have the destroyed Yokohama.

My origianl plan was to buy part worn cut slicks - but the cost of changing the tyres regularly is too prohibitive. - Hence the colways which should last a season.

(Need the bolts back soon :blink: )

Antoni

Sign in to follow this