• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GtiMad

Running Webber/aftermarket Ecu With

GtiMad

Ok, how do the standard instruments work?

The reason I ask is that when I fit my Webber ECU most of the gauges won't work (as they didn't in the car I removed it from.)

Obviously the Speedo will still work, but how does the Rev counter and Oil pressure gauges work? I don't really want to have external gauges in the 205, I would like to retain the factory look.

I know a few of you are using Emerald ECU's what are you guys doing to get around this?

Cheers,

Richard. :)

Anthony

Oil pressure, oil temp and water temp will still operate from the standard sender units providing that you keep that portion of the wiring loom in the car. They've nothing to do with the ECU.

GtiMad

Ok, thanks.

So just the rev counter then? Any ideas? :)

Wiggs

Isn't the rev counter fed from the coil? I'm not certain, but if it is, I can't see any reason why that would change.

Miles

It depends on how the Weber ECU provides the Tacho Signal, You might be able just hook up wire 112 or 115 from Memory (Long first day back at work) or you can sink a aftermarket Tacho in the current instrument panel, just need to cut a hole in it.

GtiMad

Hhhmm, I did think about sinking in an after market tacho but I don't want to if I can avoid it.

Suppose I could go the shift light route...........might be a good last resort. :)

GtiMad

Where is Eddy5 when you need him? He knows all about this Webber kit. :)

Eddy5

Sorry not been keeping an eye on the forum (Too many toys to play with). There is a wire that can drive the tacho from the Alpha ECU and IIRC it's configurable to 1 of 2 methods depending on how the tacho works. It would also help if we knew how the standard 205 tacho signal works, so if anyone can get a scope onto the tacho and check it out that would be great.

I'll dig around and see what I can find. :)

[uPDATE] Right Pin 7 or 16 could be the tacho driver. I'm still a bit rusty on all this, I think what I said about the 2 types of tacho drive is wrong, what I think we did was use a pull up resistor across 12v of different types depending on what tacho we were trying to drive. Sorry I'm so vague, it's coming back though. It may be that the standard tacho is driven off the coil so maybe it's worth checking a standard cars wiring.

Try that and I'll try and keep an eye on this topic, if I don't respond PM me. :D

Edited by Eddy5

205turbo

dam i wish the emerald ems was like that as you can't run a standard tach with there system on a pug :)

GtiMad

Eddy, I have said it before and I will say it again, you are a HERO!

I am still a couple of months away from completing my Engine and installing this lot but when I do you can be sure I will be badgering the s*ite out of you.

Your toys sound interesting! I will PM you now as I am after some software and base maps and I know that you are the man for these things. :)

Sign in to follow this