• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sidonelis

Peugeot 206 S16 GTI first gear ratio

Sidonelis

Good day everyone,

I am looking for help regarding a Peugeot 206 s16 GTI from 1999. I know it's not a 205 but it's BE4 gearbox related and from what I've been able to find online, this is the best place to ask for help.

As mentioned, I have a 206 S16 GTI from 1999, it's a 2.0 with 99kW of power. The problem I have with the car is the short first gear. I've gathered that a gearbox from a 180GTI would fit right in and could offer a better gear ratio, however, I can't find it anywhere. Are there any other vehicles that came with the same box as gti180 or any alternative approaches to make the first gear longer, such as swapping the cogs from a different gearbox?

Many thanks

Sidonelis

I've also found a gearbox from a 130 kw 307, which also seems to have a long first gear (20dm43). Would it fit either as a unit or as a donor for swapping the gears over?

welshpug

EW10J4 has 19x72  (3.789)  final drive and EW10J4S  (the 180/Feline/RC  177 PS model)     has a 19x75  (3.947)  ratio.     both quite long really!!   xsara vts and the Mi16 gearbox had a 4.4 final drive! 

1st gear in the J4 gearbox is 3.45,   vs 2.92   of the J4S.    

however, 1st gear is machined into the input shaft, so you must swap the shaft over to be able to change the 1st gear,   2nd 3rd 4th and 5th are the same gear ratios for both.

there are differences in the casing and mounting brackets in the later BE4 gearboxes so you have to be careful there, or swap everything into your existing casing.

SRDT

The J4S gearbox on the 206 is cable operated so it won't fit "right in".

You can either open the gearbox to change a lever or convert the car to cable gear selection, if the gearbox is a later one 206 1.6 HDI parts can be used.

If you don't mind opening the gearbox, mixing parts and do a bit of machining you can even convert a 6 speed gearbox from a 306 GTI6 to fit on your 206:

https://www.inestimables.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36

welshpug

Thats just the shift linkage, the box itself will go straight in, swap the bits that are different.

Sidonelis

Thank you for the input. I'm not dissatisfied with any gear above the first. The car is mostly used for low speed (<100 kph) slalom competitions that usually take place on old asphalt with suboptimal traction. Having a short first gear brings two disadvantages. Firstly, it is hard to control wheelspin. Secondly, one has to perform extra gear changes. At the moment top speed in 1st is ~50 kph. 

Am I correct in thinking that outsourcing any of the gearboxes from this list (https://peugeot.205.si/transmission/manual) that have a lower first gear ratio and transferring the input shaft over to the original box would work? Or are there any extra intricacies to be aware of? 

Tom Fenton

Interesting read. I have a 206 Grand Tourisme, its always pissed me off how wrong Peugeot got the gear ratios in it, 1st is too short meaning the jump to 2nd is then massive to the point it really falls off the simmer, I would say boil but with 135bhp simmer seems more appropriate. To be fair apart from the 1-2 gap, the rest of them are fine.

petert
3 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Interesting read. I have a 206 Grand Tourisme, its always pissed me off how wrong Peugeot got the gear ratios in it, 1st is too short meaning the jump to 2nd is then massive to the point it really falls off the simmer, I would say boil but with 135bhp simmer seems more appropriate. To be fair apart from the 1-2 gap, the rest of them are fine.

Indeed. The short first gear helps heavy car with small motor avoid burning clutches off the line.

Sidonelis
On 5/14/2024 at 9:22 AM, Sidonelis said:

Am I correct in thinking that outsourcing any of the gearboxes from this list (https://peugeot.205.si/transmission/manual) that have a lower first gear ratio and transferring the input shaft over to the original box would work? Or are there any extra intricacies to be aware of? 

Could someone with the knowledge answer this question, please?