• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gohn

Inner Tie Rod / Track Rod Replacement

Gohn
Posted (edited)

inherited a well used rack, (power steering 205 Si, right hand drive)

cleaned and checked it over before installing and after four years its finally got a small knock

did some checks and looks like its Left Front inner tie rod / track rod

already put new  tie rod ends on it, but never had to replace a track rod before, ever

couldn't find much discussion at all on this, nothing that made it clear anyway 

couple of questions before getting in

- is it ok to replace inner tie rod on the car or much better to just get the whole rack out and then do it ?

- are the part numbers for inner tie rods same both sides ?  #381295 ?

tia

rack1.JPG

rack2.JPG

Screen Shot 2024-05-11 at 8.46.29 PM.png

5A.png

5B.png

Edited by Gohn

Leslie green
Posted (edited)

They are the same both sides , I got mine from retro race and rally in the uk but that wont be much good to you in Australia , you need to be able to hold the rack teeth firmly to get it unscrewed , I held the rack teeth in the vice protected by wood either side  as mine was already off the car . The little washer behind will need reused as the pas one is different I found. there are pics on my thread.

That small boot on the left in your pic has a metal ring on it and just taps off ,there was no info out there I could find on it , replacements often come with no metal ring inside and there is very little to hold it on , I had to buy twice to get a decent one.

Edited by Leslie green

Leslie green

Page 9 has pics :

DamirGTI
Posted (edited)

Car replace it with the rack on the car or with the rack removed as you wish .. there's spec. tool for inner tie rod replacement with the rack on the car (google "inner track rod tool") or some of the tie rods had flats on the sides so in that case you can undo them simply with a wrench .. if it's round and you do not fancy buying tool just for one go , with the grinder grind off two flats opposite of one another on the round end so you can slip the wrench in and loosen it off (do the same on new one for tightening back on) ... or can use bigger plumbers wrench/stilsons to undo/tighten back grabbing on the round end .

Retainer/locking ring , can do with or without it .. if there's no locking ring use red loctite threadlock or equivalent (the hardest/strongest) on the tie rod threads .

Yes the part No. is 381295 , for 205 they're all the same length base model and GTi and fits both left and right .. 

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Gohn

thanks gents !  as they say here, rack off it is then

not sure how it all fits together yet but will reread your tips once the rack's out of the car 

off to order parts which'll take a few weeks