• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brian j

Retrofitting a Peugeot 206 radio stalk - wiring help needed

brian j

A long time ago I retrofitted a 306/early 206 radio stalk in the 205. It’s been there for years and I quite like it, seeing as the radio is so low in the centre console. One of these:IMG_9493.thumb.jpeg.71741660d6ddd6540f62d1f6a20f20b5.jpeg

It is the 4 way stalk so just has volume up/down and track up/down. It is useful but I find it annoying to have to reach down to switch source from Radio to Bluetooth etc. 

I noticed that some later 206/406etc had a similar stalk, but with an extra rotating collar to change the mode (source) and another function so I bought one on eBay.  One of these:

IMG_9495.thumb.jpeg.bd98bfd81a258ca52f02d9428b0bc4ca.jpeg

but now I have it, it’s clear that the plug is very different and the lead is much shorter. 
Old plug:

IMG_9494.jpeg.743cb19b51921197d0f55d09e47dc192.jpeg

New plug:

IMG_9496.jpeg.9de4bbbab96353380ff9c3dabe35bc72.jpegThe old lead ran direct to the radio, but given the length, I’m not sure the new one can have.

can anyone help me with how this style of stalk was originally wired?

If it went to a loom what was the radio plug like and what is the pin out at both ends so I can extend it?

what year car was it fitted to or even better what autoleads/connects2 adapter do I need to use it? 

any help would be really appreciated. Thx

Tom Fenton

I'd say from the number of wires, the early type is just 4 switches inside the housing, the later type is more complex as there are only 3 wires to do potentially 6 functions. I don't think it will be easily compatible but you never know, the later one is the same as the one in my 206 Grand Tourisme, so you may be able to find an interface box to convert the signal to whatever your head unit is. Bit of a first world problem though having to reach to press a button on the head unit! I will say that the later stalk as is in my 206 is a really nice thing to use, you can do the majority of regularly used functions from the stalk.

brian j

:lol:Agreed Tom. It’s totally a first world problem… On the other hand I’m really chuffed the 205 is behaving well enough to be thinking about first world problems!

Like you say, the early ones are 4 micro switches and the later ones are normally resistance based. There is a power, a ground and a signal wire and the voltage returned on the signal wire varies according to which switch was closed because each circuit has a different resistance.

i will totally need a new interface box. I just need to work out which one and how to wire it. 

@Tom Fenton if the later stalk is the same as the one in your 206 GT do you mind telling me what year yours is? It gives me a starting point for wiring and adapters.

Tom Fenton

https://issuu.com/cargift/docs/autoleads_catalogue

Have a look on here page 86/87

My 206 is a 1999 car

Helpfully in the true Peugeot style there are a few different options all applicable to the 206 98/99/00!!

However it does give reasonable diagrams of the plugs so you should be able to match up

I would say its PC99-X26 you need. But there is a technical helpline email and phone number at the front of the catalogue so probably worth emailing them with a photo of your connection to be sure.

brian j

Thanks Tom. I’ll get one ordered and update with some pics when I get it sorted. 

Tom Fenton

Don't just order that part number, that is just my best guess from the catalogue! I'd speak to them first.