• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Oscar12345

Drain issue 205 Gti 1.6

Oscar12345

Hi All,

I have just brought myself a very nice and clean 205 Gti 1.6. I’m very new to these cars and want to learn as much as possible about them.

1 issue I have is water is pooling in passenger footwell and rear foot wells? I been looking online but can’t find a huge amount of information on solving the issue.

2 starter motor is playing up. I’ve order a new one. Is best way to fit, remove radiator and get to motor from the front 

thank you 

Oscar

pugdamo
Posted (edited)

Welcome to the group, the water ingress is going to be a bit of investigation work in afraid, there's a few places these can leak, scuttle area, door membrane seals damaged or missing, aerial base, windscreen, rear 1/4 seals, you get the idea, you need to pin down an area then start stripping out and I normally dry the inside then run a hose outside and have a look around.

As for the starter, if it's just clicking it could be the starter or it could be the exciter wire to it, there's a brown plug over the gearbox that can give issues, if it's regularly playing up and easy to recreate then first VERY IMPORTANT MAKE SURE THE CARS IN NEUTRAL, then power the small terminal on the starter, if it reliably starts every time then either bypass just the starter wire in the plug, I think it's a blue wire with a number 46a stamped on it or do the lot, I've just cut the wires and soldered the wires back together with a waterproof seal, either take a picture or just do the wires one at a time. If it is actually the starter then you can either take off the inlet manifold and it's way more accessible or if you have power steering take the alternator off and you can get it out but it's a lot more fiddly that way. I've never personally removed the radiator too do a starter it it should also free up a lot more room. Is it's the original fat bodied starter it will have a bracket bolting it to the block, very few I've seen still have these on. Not sure which starter you have got but the later slim bodied ones are the normal go to, more reliable and more powerful I believe, you will just need to change the connection on the exciter wire from a spade terminal to a ring terminal.

Edited by pugdamo

Oscar12345

Thank you for the speedy and very helpful response. Is this plug you mean. This was disconnected at back right of engine.

IMG_1281.jpeg

Oscar12345

Also, a few more connections I’ve taken pictures of that are not connected to anything. I’ve also noticed there is no horn also. I guess one of these cables could be for the horn.

another question is can I fit any horn or does it have to be a specific 205 Gti?

IMG_1285.jpeg

IMG_1288.jpeg

IMG_1286.jpeg

welshpug
Posted (edited)

Both spares, the one by the battery is a cooling can test point, shouldn't be tied to the battery lead really!  The other is an unused engine speed sensor used for old school diagnostic tools.

A 1.6 gti would have an electric horn below the left headlamp,  the earth next to the headlamp is a common cause of electrical issues.

A 1.9 has an air horn in the same location with an electric compressor, run through a relay.

Edited by welshpug