• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

Flywheel skimming (Mi16/S16 215mm)

DamirGTI

.... searching but cannot find any info .

How much can be taken off from the flywheel in order to resurface clutch disc contact area ?

It's a 16v 215mm flywheel .

D

petert

A good question. I've never had a flywheel rejected from the reco place. What ever comes off the clutch face also has to come off the mounting face however.

SRDT

It's probably like a head: if it's so severely warped that you need a huge skim then it's no use as the cam won't fit and even head bolts can't sit properly.

Aside from that as long as even a worn clutch disc stays on the shaft splines and the fork can move to that position it you should be fine.

DamirGTI

Right , in the end i opted for some DIY resurfacing with few grades of sanding paper and flat steel block .. finishing with red and grey scotchbrite pads .

Cleaned up pretty good , only a few low spots left but minor .. think it'll be fine , old clutch disc friction plate was still good with plenty material left , but the center hub and damper springs went bust .

My local machinist is pretty "oldschool" tool wise , thus maybe better to leave it alone as i read mixed opinions about flywheel skimming in general and skimming procedure .

Most people say it needs to be done on a surface grinder machine rather than turned in the lathe ?!

D